spatchcocking a turkey

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
I've been reading on this and it sounds pretty good, tho the name and image is somewhat vulgar looking and sounding..
img76l.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9ZoC4Tp8Ik

My concern is the room it takes up while cooking. I don't know if a medium sized turkey would fit in my electric roaster once it is flayed out and mashed down without a lot of it in contact with the sides of the roaster--I think that would result in some blackened parts. Anyone do it?
http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/11/how- ... ocked.html

I guess I can do it on a big cookie sheet.
(I hate cleaning that electric roaster up every year anyway)

I was concerned it might be kinda dry, but that bird looked juicy..lots of juice on cutting board as he carved it. Thanks for the post. Do you brine your bird? As he recommends?

I do that fairly often. I like it because it cooks more evenly and faster. It will take up more space and if space is limited you could cut it in half and cook each piece on a different rack.

greybeard":mfek3s7d said:
I've been reading on this and it sounds pretty good, tho the name and image is somewhat vulgar looking and sounding..)

Told the wife to look into this. We tried it and cooked a 10lbs bird in an hour! This may be our go to for simple and quick. It was cooked perfectly and juicy. Thanks GB.

Mine did well too. I wouldn't want to try it on a bird over 12-14lbs tho. My oven is just a few months old, and even tho I set it for 450 deg and cooked it 80 minutes (according to the directions I read on-line) it barely made the 180 deg temp in the breast and thigh.
Before cooking, I brushed it own with olive oil and salt/pepper mixture.
( I ended up just buying a really big alum baking sheet with 1" tall sides to cook it on)

The butterfly turkey I have seen chickens done this way on the grill, so I can easily imagine that turkey would be just as lovely.

Maybe last year's bird was a bit of an old turkey?

Jogeephus":2b5w9efu said:
I do that fairly often. I like it because it cooks more evenly and faster. It will take up more space and if space is limited you could cut it in half and cook each piece on a different rack.

That's the way to go if you are worried about size. Or get a small turkey.

Latest posts