I'd love to have a herd of these!

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep":2696xioa said:
She is a nice cow, really nice and full, but she doesn't have the posted,bag of the one I she's more the beef type... what does she weigh in at? 1600ish?
thats why shes nice and full,, able to maintain condition and raise a good calf... good combination in a beef cow :cowboy:

Nice pics Nesikep, I live those old simmenthals from the past. About 10 or 15 years ago I had a few of those like the cow in the first picture. I bought them from a farmer who imported them from austria and feed them for slaughter. Every spring I picked 1 or 2 of the nicest and calmest animals and put them with a belgianbleu bull. Now a days the simmenthals are more and more the dairy-type(50 kg milk a day is very common) so I dont buy them anymore. There are 3 pure simmi's left on my place and yes they eat a lot, I think more than 4 other cows, but they are happy with low quality hay.
A.I.ed some 1/2 and 1/4 simmi heiffers with a pure simmi low bw bull to get some of those larger simmi cows back.

DC

on this side of the atlantic the simmis have pretty much all gone towards beef, with Holstien Friesians being *nearly* the only dairy breed there is, though some have jerseys and I've heard of 1 dairy with milking shorthorns somewhere in Wisconsin or something

I'd like to get one of my cows bred to the old style simm, she's a 1/2 shorthorn who produces around 20 or so liters a day and doesn't break a sweat with a 140 lb calf

Nesikep":3f5oa4bp said:
on this side of the atlantic the simmis have pretty much all gone towards beef, with Holstien Friesians being *nearly* the only dairy breed there is, though some have jerseys and I've heard of 1 dairy with milking shorthorns somewhere in Wisconsin or something

I'd like to get one of my cows bred to the old style simm, she's a 1/2 shorthorn who produces around 20 or so liters a day and doesn't break a sweat with a 140 lb calf

I would say they have gone towards Angus. European Simmental is a different breed than american Simmental. I'd say that all breeds are running the Angus road. :D

Nesikep,
There's still semen out there on some of those old Simmental bulls imported in the 60s-70s. Several of the dairy semen suppliers have Montbeliard (French Dairy-type Simmental) sires that some folks are using TODAY. Bovine Elite is where I saw the 'close-out' sale on 'old' Simmental bulls - some of which are some of the early Swiss & French types - spotted and big frame size - as well as some of the early purebreds and Fleckvieh types.
Still plenty of good Fleckvieh bulls around, if you look for them - Bar 5 Stock Farms in Manitoba is one of the premier Fleckvieh breeders - and they still look like Simmentals.

Used several sons of ABR Sir Arnold G809 and his full brother, ABR Sir Arnold's Image, back in the 80s. They worked great on both Holsteins and Angus-based cattle. Still have some older cows in the herd that go back to those Fleckvieh bulls. Love the look of 'em, and they were 'calving ease' leaders in their day, but I don't know that I'd use 'em on my Angus heifers today - and there are Simmental sires that I'm using now with better marbling/tenderness/REA/API/TI epds than those old boys, but I still like their looks.

P.A.L":1hj1h3qe said:
Nesikep":1hj1h3qe said:

I would say they have gone towards Angus. European Simmental is a different breed than american Simmental. I'd say that all breeds are running the Angus road. :D
and that's why the Roan will prevail!

MF135 -
You may be right; I dunno.
We're breeding 90% of our adult cows to Shorthorn bulls - but not any roans; all solid reds. I'll take enough of a hit on the calves that come out red - sure ain't looking for any red or blue roans to give the buyers another reason to 'dock' me on my steers - even though the genetics will be virtually the same as on the black/black-baldy calves.

Lucky_P":3hdsgtcj said:
MF135 -
You may be right; I dunno.
We're breeding 90% of our adult cows to Shorthorn bulls - but not any roans; all solid reds. I'll take enough of a hit on the calves that come out red - sure ain't looking for any red or blue roans to give the buyers another reason to 'dock' me on my steers - even though the genetics will be virtually the same as on the black/black-baldy calves.

Lucky don't think for a second you ain't gonna get some throwbacks. That roan hair is REAL tuff to get gone! :shock: :lol:

it IS possible to get shorthorn bulls with no white, we had one for 2 years and didn't get any white in the calves unless the mother had a lot of it... Of the four heifers we kept from him, 3 are solid red, and one is a very shorthorn roan (the "chairman"), we also kept a bull calf, and we'll see if he was able to get a ride in come spring time, he is solid red as well as his mother

IMG_7281-crop.jpg

3-way,
I'm not counting on any roan showing up from the SH bulls we've used; solid reds. So far, have a handful of SH-cross heifers on the ground - all are either black or red(with some 'chrome' on the underline - but less than the little black cow she came out of); but with all the gray/brown cows in my herd with the color-dilution gene from the Simmental bulls I've used in the past, I could sure get some yellow/dun calves out of the deal.

Nice bull, Nesikep. I have a new Shorthorn bull headed this way from the JR Ranch in Othello, WA. JR DROVER *4172127. I have 24 reg Shorthorn heifers and 6 F1 brafords that he will get acquainted with soon. His sire, Dover, is from the noted Sindelar Shorthorn herd (Dover Ranch Corporation) of Billings, MT.

Nice guy too, The one in my pic is polled, not sure if homozygous or heterozygous, time will tell, I'll keep the Dhorn paste handy though.

I must say that the more I look at gelbveihs, the more I think SH's lack in the butt. The combinations of the two breeds is pretty nice though, though I have 1 heifer who's 1/4 Saler 1/4 Herf, 1/2 GV who is amazing as well, though she is a bit short compared to the heifer who has SH rather than Saler

Nesikep":1s7yxks9 said:
Nice guy too, The one in my pic is polled, not sure if homozygous or heterozygous, time will tell, I'll keep the Dhorn paste handy though.

I must say that the more I look at gelbveihs, the more I think SH's lack in the butt. The combinations of the two breeds is pretty nice though, though I have 1 heifer who's 1/4 Saler 1/4 Herf, 1/2 GV who is amazing as well, though she is a bit short compared to the heifer who has SH rather than Saler

You're bull looks scurred to me. Definitely not polled. Most shorthorn will be squarer in the hip. Gelbviehs, like all continentals, do carry more rear muscle than the british breeds. Or, atleast they should.

He is definitely scurred, but they didn't show at all until he was about 8 months. I heard that scurs were a completely seperate gene than horns, and I am a bit confused if a scurred animal is still considered polled... His sire was polled, I think his mother was, but her sire was not

Nesikep":2mvzz5a5 said:
He is definitely scurred, but they didn't show at all until he was about 8 months. I heard that scurs were a completely seperate gene than horns, and I am a bit confused if a scurred animal is still considered polled... His sire was polled, I think his mother was, but her sire was not

I don't know as far as the genes go but a scurred animal is not considered polled and in my personal experience, a scurred bull with sire horned calves out of hetero cows. In the American Shorthorn Association the animal's reg number will start with sx if it is scurred.

I can't remember much about this guy's sire, I think he was registered, but don't know if we got them... I know the sire didn't have scurs or horns, however a bit of Dhorn paste could fix that and you'd never know.. I can just say that from what I have heard scurring and horns are completely separate, but I'm just a confused guy.

Latest posts