I'd like to know

Help Support CattleToday:

Marines are based with ships for rapid delivery ....army walks a lot....my dad was a commander of two CB Batallions in WWII and he never did trust the floatin' navy (as he called em) but the marines he had ultimate respect for.

Carlos D.":1uhlt9vo said:
what is the difference between the US army and marine corps

thanks carl

The United States Marine Corps. is an elite group of men and women from the United States of America dedicated to the preservation, through a long and historic tradition, of ideals and freedoms associated with a way of life shared by all Americans...
There are rumors, however, that there are wanabee organizations around here that go by names like the United States Army, United States Navy, United States Air Force, and the United States Coast Guard! :D

The Marines are actually part of the U.S. Navy. The Air Force used to be part of the Army, but became a seperate organization after WW II.

Yeah you right the Corps IS part of the Navy....the MENS department!!!!

Also its a brotherhood that only a determined few have had the priveledge to become a part of.

To answer your original question, the Marines are different than the army in a number of ways.

The main difference is the training. Every Marine is a rifleman first! It doesn't matter if you're a computer operator, a cook, a clerk, an aircraft mechanic, you are a rifleman first, (and always will be). That is why every Marine will have a rifleman's badge on his uniform. Every Marine will qualify with his rifle every year. Other military organizations are not trained this way.

What this means is that if the "@&*%@# hits the fan" and your position is overran by the enemy, or as is the case in our world today, a terrorist attacks behind your lines, any Marine unit can, and will, operate as a combat unit and take the fight to the enemy. This is not the case with other military organizations, as we have seen in Iraq.

There are stories from Iraq telling of U. S. Army non-combat units being hit by the terrorist and they didn't have a clue how to take the fight to the enemy. I watched interviews on TV of U. S. Army soldiers state that they "didn't know how the operate weapons, that wasn't their job." This would never happen to a U. S. Marine, I don't care what his "job" is.

A good general history to the U. S. Marines can be found at: http://hqinet001.hqmc.usmc.mil/HD/Histo ... y_USMC.htm

When I was in Nam (65-66) We had Doctors carrying enough firepower to scare Poncho Villa. When My wife was in Desert Storm (major/nurse) all she had done was "familiarize" with a .45. During my time in the army (MP) they preached to everyone that theit primary MOS was 11B. Basic Infantryman. Sad to say It's not like that anymore. I recently saw an LTC in the branch of our bank in San Antonio that is close to Ft. Sam that looked like he had slept in his class As and it didn't look like his shoes had ever seen any polish.

That ain't the same Army I was in.Z

MillIronQH":3hp4a7y4 said:
When I was in Nam (65-66) We had Doctors carrying enough firepower to scare Poncho Villa. When My wife was in Desert Storm (major/nurse) all she had done was "familiarize" with a .45. During my time in the army (MP) they preached to everyone that theit primary MOS was 11B. Basic Infantryman. Sad to say It's not like that anymore. I recently saw an LTC in the branch of our bank in San Antonio that is close to Ft. Sam that looked like he had slept in his class As and it didn't look like his shoes had ever seen any polish.

MillIronQH":3jce4jwe said:

You know what? I think its like that every where now . I spent 2 years in the canadian army a long time ago --Best thing that ever happened to me ,But I see them walking around now -fat and out of shape (mind you I see the artillery guys) they tell me its impossible to be a fat infantry member--but the discipline is different now 'they were so tough when I was in -I kept a spit shine on my shoes 10 years after I got out

carl

Every person is put through BRM, basic rifle marksmanship training in the army, so they do get some training in the use of weapons. The primary difference originally was their mission objectives. I feel the marines do have a better marksmanship program, but I fail to see what makes them "elite". Maybe force recon units but not the corps in general.

I had the Honor to serve in a recon unit. Our training though was an extension of what we were already taught.
Marine Corps basic training is on the same level as the training other Depts. use for their Advanced training.

There are stories from Iraq telling of U. S. Army non-combat units being hit by the terrorist and they didn't have a clue how to take the fight to the enemy. I watched interviews on TV of U. S. Army soldiers state that they "didn't know how the operate weapons, that wasn't their job." This would never happen to a U. S. Marine, I don't care what his "job" is.

I think this is an example of a commanders failure to ensure that the troops were properly trained and prepared for a deployment.

kjones":hvadmb4a said:
Every person is put through BRM, basic rifle marksmanship training in the army, so they do get some training in the use of weapons. The primary difference originally was their mission objectives. I feel the marines do have a better marksmanship program, but I fail to see what makes them "elite". Maybe force recon units but not the corps in general.

To hear my wife tell it when she went in, as a Capt, all she had was pretty much an eight week orientation. No real weapons training no time in the field and dern little marching. Even the daily PT didn't amount to much. From there she went to Ft. Campbell and the only time they ever saw the field was when the 101st was doing their thing. Even then they were sending out for Pizza and slipping off to take their showers at the local Holiday Inn. But then she turned around and said that the only good thing about it was they didn't have to wear Whites on duty. :roll: Z

It sounds like your wife was in a rear echelon unit, and I noticed she is an officer also. I was in the 101st at Ft Campbell and in Desert shield/Desert storm, but then I was in a combat arms unit also. I spent more than half of my enlistment in the field or deployed. If we wanted pizza in the field we carried it in our rucks.(not happening). In garrison we did pt daily. At least a five mile run, along with the usual push ups, sit ups etc. Sure wish I could do that today! Oh , and showers in the field? Didn't happen either. A feller can get a might rank after a few weeks!

She was one of the nurses that patched your boo-boos when you skinned your knees jumping of of perfectly good airplanes.

The way I see it there are two places in the army where you can pretty much get away with anything. The Signal Corps and the medics. In the Medical Corps Nurses can probably get away with more then any of the others. They seem to be protected by their Florence Nightingale image. "WHAT!!! Nurses sitting around in a conex sipping rum laced Hot Toddies??? Never!!!" Yea Right.Z

Jump out of a perfectly good airplane? Never! Repel from helicopters, Yes. But then the fall is only about a hundred feet or so, not a thousand or more. I would have liked some rum at times, but couldn't get it. Different jobs have different benefits. Oh well :(

Latest posts