Ice storm pics of Missouri. Dial up users beware!

Help Support CattleToday:

DoubleK

Reaction score
Here are some pictures of the ice storm that hit SW Missouri on January 15th. One week ago and I still have no power at home. I'm sure this is why Dun hasn't been on in a while.

Dub

sgf1.JPG

sgf2.JPG

sgf3.JPG

sgf5.JPG

sgf6.JPG

If the people would let the power companys cut an trim more trees the outages from ice storms would be cut in half. In the middle of summer no one wants there trees trimmed.
Cut more trees,trim more trees an its easier to keep the lights on.
You can,t build a line in sherwood forrest an expect to keep it on.

DoubleK, thanks for those photos. The third and fourth ones are really kind of artsy, but the consequences of those storms sure aren't. Has it melted yet?

Curtis, I wasn't aware we had a choice...when the power company comes through here, they never ask if we want stuff along the lines trimmed or not...they just do it!

Wow, I've never seen anything like that, it looks awsome. But I can see how it would put ya out. thanks for sharing.

Curtis...ya referring to the English Sherwood Forest of Robin Hood fame.....I've been there many a time, and there is phone lines in parts of it believe it or not, in the Rangers huts and the gift shops. but we never get anything like that.

chrisy":2le6uvyi said:
Wow, I've never seen anything like that, it looks awsome. But I can see how it would put ya out. thanks for sharing.

Curtis...ya referring to the English Sherwood Forest of Robin Hood fame.....I've been there many a time, and there is phone lines in parts of it believe it or not, in the Rangers huts and the gift shops. but we never get anything like that.

Something like that, just saying that if you put a power line in the woods or around a lot of trees you have to have a lot of right a way, the more the better.

chrisy":3a3ozq41 said:

Something like that, just saying that if you put a power line in the woods or around a lot of trees you have to have a lot of right a way, the more the better.

Beefy":kjhcm3kh said:
that would really suck to feed cows in.

It does, where I am didn't get hit anywhere near that hard, but we still have a couple of inches of ice and sleet on the ground. I slid the tractor all over trying to get a bale moved tonight.

Sounds crazy, but tomorrow they are calling for 3 or 4 inches of snow, and I'm hoping we get it so the tires have something they can get a bite in.

I went to Jeff City today to pick up some 4X4 posts I bought off govdeals.com. They didn't get hit nearly that hard. We saw only a handful of downed limbs and such. When we got hit back in December, we didn't have quite as much ice but it came with 30-40 MPH winds. It looked a lot like what you have. Good luck and work safe! We cleaned all the fence rows the first day or two but are still cutting up interior damage. Buttloads of firewood everywhere around here.

That has got to be hard on everyone out there. Looking on the bright side though, ya'll won't be needing to buy any corner posts for some time if you help the power company dispose of the light poles.

curtis":lmu2zvjh said:
If the people would let the power companys cut an trim more trees the outages from ice storms would be cut in half. In the middle of summer no one wants there trees trimmed.

a right of way is a requirement in most cases where PUBLIC utilities run, they have the right to trim at anytime they deem necessary for safety and for maintenance if they do or not is up to them!!!

memanpa":2trnfsho said:
curtis":2trnfsho said:

a right of way is a requirement in most cases where PUBLIC utilities run, they have the right to trim at anytime they deem necessary for safety and for maintenance if they do or not is up to them!!!

Right of way, whats that, i guess i was asleep the 30 plus years of working for the power company an chasing ice storms from Missouri Tn. AR. GA. Miss. O well everyone needs a nap, even lineman , foreman an supervisors.

Jogeephus":f8os1wtz said:
That has got to be hard on everyone out there. Looking on the bright side though, ya'll won't be needing to buy any corner posts for some time if you help the power company dispose of the light poles.

Usually when power poles snap, they are junk, even for fence posts...they splinter and split the whole way.

they make great fire wood outside they burn for hours with all that creosote on them. they also make good boundary logs in the garden. My Husband used to work for British Telecommunications, and would get hold of old broken poles for, bonfire night 5th November, (Guy Falkes) to start the bonfire, I took a couple of pieces and layed them out around the garden.

chrisy":1zwzb5xg said:
they make great fire wood outside they burn for hours with all that creosote on them. they also make good boundary logs in the garden. My Husband used to work for British Telecommunications, and would get hold of old broken poles for, bonfire night 5th November, (Guy Falkes) to start the bonfire, I took a couple of pieces and layed them out around the garden.

I wouldn't advise burning treated wood:

"Burning:Incineration of CCA pressure treated wood does not destroy arsenic. It is incredible, but a single 12 foot 2 x 6 contains about 27 grams of Arsenic - enough arsenic to kill 250 adults. Burning CCA wood releases the chemical bond holding Arsenic in the wood, and just one Tablespoon of ash from a CCA wood fire contains a lethal dose of Arsenic. Worse yet, Arsenic gives no warning: it does not have a specific taste or odor to warn you of its presence. No one disputes that the ash from burning CCA wood is highly toxic: It is illegal to burn CCA wood in all 50 states. This has serious implications for firefighters, cleanup and landfill operations.
Even more astonishing, minute amounts of 'fly ash' from burning CCA pressure treated wood, can have serious health consequences. The Journal of the American Medical Association reported on a family that burned CCA in a wood stove for winter heating. Their hair fell out, all family members suffered severe, recurring nosebleeds, extreme fatigue and debilitating headaches. The parents complained about 'blacking out' for periods of several hours, followed by long periods of extreme disorientation. Both children suffered frequent seizures described as 'grand mal'. The symptoms were finally traced to breathing minute amounts of arsenic laden dust leaking from the furnace as fly ash. The family's houseplants and fish died, too, victims of copper poisoning from the same dust. Peters HA, et al: Seasonal exposure to arsenic from burning CCA wood. JAMA 251:(18)2393-96, 1984)"

thanks for that information Mike, we don't get them now. Never knew that arsenic was in them. and we only burnt one outside in a very large well ventilated area. I did say outside in my post. won't ever do that again, even though no-one was ill.

Dr. Perkins was at our cattlemans meeting last Wednesday night. He and his family has been living in a motel in Lamar. Springfield really got hit hard. Lamar is about 90 miles from his home and it was the closest that wasn't filled up because of the storm.

Curtis, I live in sw missouri, not far from Double K. There is a law that for the basic powerline, you have to sign over a 30 foot right of way to the electric company. They have the power to do whatever they want with that. Larger lines, they take more right of way. They never compensate the landowner for that right of way. You are not allowed to build anything or plant any tree in that 30 feet. They can go into your field wherever they want in order to get to the right of way. They can cut the fence, they dont have to go through a gate. The power company has never given me a choice of whether I want the trees trimmed, or cut down or sprayed. They hire independent companies to do it in many cases and those people dont give a hoot what the landowner would rather have done. When the electric company first came and asked for the land, (around 1950 in our area) they promised that the price per kilowatt would never go up for those people who donated the land for the right of ways. They never kept that promise. This ice storm, a very high percentage of the power outages was caused by lines and poles not being able to hold the weight of the ice. The trees are devastated, but there were plenty of powerlines downed with out trees, also. The power companies decide when to trim the trees. The landowner has no say in it. I went to the power company office quite some time ago and told them about 2 dead trees on highway department right of way, that I cant cut because they will fall across powerlines, as well as my fences. Neither they, nor the highway department has cut them yet and this was well before the storm. Fortunately those havent fallen because they will take out a main line. Curtis, all that said, I thank you and every other electric line worker for all of the help, because I know that you have one of the most dangerous jobs in the world and you are out for days at a time in the worst weather and most dangerous of situations. Thank you and the electric companies for all that we take for granted. God grant safety to all the line workers out there now and the future.

Latest posts