I really need "Trailer Backing 101" Class.

Help Support CattleToday:

What drives me nuts is after I've been backing a lot the first time I get in the truck to go anywhere I back the truck up the wrong direction.

just get you a 4 wheel peanut wagon full of peanuts with a storm blowing in and 1 stall empty. once you get it under the barn you can back anything.

Yep--short bumper pulls are the worst, and if ya have one hooked to a 3 pt tractor hitch with a bit of horizontal 'slack' in the lift arms, double trouble. Just about the time you get the trailer point where ya need it, the arms and hitch shift over a couple inches and moves the ball and trailer tongue over with it.

I have heard differently from others, but I am 100% convinced that it is more than possible to pull a trailer into a situation that you absolutely cannot reverse it back out of. The steering 'geometry' changes relative to the direction you are traveling. :(

Not a "backing" thing but............
Fun, is when ya end up out in the woods, about 60 ft off the highway, with the loaded trailer sitting right outside the passenger door, facing the direction you came from---------------- still attached to the bumper hitch.

Kathie, I would say you are trying to back too fast. To jack knife it and cause damage you must have been going too fast. Just creep back and you will have time to correct it if it goes the wrong way and if necessary pull forward to get control again.
Ken

A stick shift is a lot harder to back up. They don't come with granny gears anymore. And yes a small trailer behind a 4door long bed is tuff and add a clutch and it really gets fun.

Along with everything else throw in a trailer that is too low to see through the inside mirror and too narrow to keep track of with the side mirrors.

My brother who has never owned anything bigger than a Honda car and never owned a trailer just bought a 38 foot motor home and a singel axel trailer to pull behind it. I can't wait to see him try to manuver this rig. Especially when he gets into a situation where he has to back up.

highgrit":2hvt7ppm said:
A stick shift is a lot harder to back up. They don't come with granny gears anymore. And yes a small trailer behind a 4door long bed is tuff and add a clutch and it really gets fun.
Stick shift/clutch (yes), 4-door/long bed (yes). Flatbed about 18 ft.

Im pretty confident in backing up trailers, even if I can only use mirrors, but the other day I got myself in a pinch. We rented some condos on the coast. I got there after dark the first day... had my boat. In the process of trying to find the condos I drove down a parking lot that dead ended. The driving part is just big enough for two vehicle to go side by side and then there is parking spaces all to your right. When I got to the end I knew I was screwed. Thought I was going to have to un-hook and turn the boat on the jack back the opposite way.

Some how between there not being cars in the parking spots and backing into the grass in front of the condos I got spun around. Having those reciever hitches so you can cut it tight made all the difference. That was the first time I really thought I was done for. :)

If you want a nightmare try backing a set of doubles.I didn't even like to pull doubles when I was driving a truck.

Cal

Kathie in Thorp":1sym09qy said:
highgrit":1sym09qy said:
Stick shift/clutch (yes), 4-door/long bed (yes). Flatbed about 18 ft.

if it is a 4 X 4, put it in low lock. Don't need to lock in hubs (if applicable). 4 low will let you idle and still move, no need to ride clutch. Much easier on tranny backing a loaded one also. Most automatics reverse and drive are the same speed.

if it is a 4 X 4, put it in low lock. Don't need to lock in hubs (if applicable). 4 low will let you idle and still move, no need to ride clutch. Much easier on tranny backing a loaded one also. Most automatics reverse and drive are the same speed.[/quote]

That's what I do in a tight spot or on hills. Then just follow the trailer.

fitz

There is nothing more frustrating than trying to back up a trailer with someone yapping at you telling you how to do it!! :mad: I've been know to tell more than one person to "shut the @#$# up!" in that situation.

Best place I have found to practice is in a hay feild that's been cut and still has the round bales in it. Go out there ALONE and use the bales as obstacles to back around...you can hit then without damage and the stress level is much lower when you know no one is watching or waiting on you! Won't take long and you'll be backing figure 8's around the bales and the confidence gained will help when you have to back up something that matters.

Good advice on the using 4 lo on a vehicle with a manual tranny, slows it down allowing you to concentrate on backing.

Always remeber the shorter the wheel base the quicker and sharper it will react to the truck.

I'd much rather back a gooseneck than a bumper pull!

Calman..that backing doubles is like trying to stuff a noodle up a wildcat's arse!

when i hauled cattle for the public,, i knew id see some rough areas, so i layed out some tires like in a slalom course.... and wiggle and back through em to get some practice... but nothing could prepair for the real thing.......... hillbillies are thrifty at building and using ''' anything''' at their disposal :cowboy:

If it was not for side mirrors I don't think I could even drive.I dont ever even look at my inside mirror.
Several years back I built a small trailer to haul my 4 wheeler on,and when I get to where I'm going I unhook it from the truck and hook it to the 4 wheeler and load tools and go do what I need to do.Since it's so small I cant see it in my mirrors I put it where I need it with the 4wheeler or just pick up the tongue and back it in by hand.
A nightmare was back in the early 70's driving a west coast rig and being downtown Pittsburg Pa. and trying to jack back into one of their loading docks that I think we're built for straight trucks only.

Cal

Calman":1hemwme0 said:
If it was not for side mirrors I don't think I could even drive.I dont ever even look at my inside mirror.
Several years back I built a small trailer to haul my 4 wheeler on,and when I get to where I'm going I unhook it from the truck and hook it to the 4 wheeler and load tools and go do what I need to do.Since it's so small I cant see it in my mirrors I put it where I need it with the 4wheeler or just pick up the tongue and back it in by hand.
A nightmare was back in the early 70's driving a west coast rig and being downtown Pittsburg Pa. and trying to jack back into one of their loading docks that I think we're built for straight trucks only.

Cal
Just driving through pittsburg is enough of a nightmare, I did it in the mid 60's.

Latest posts