I really need "Trailer Backing 101" Class.

Help Support CattleToday:

Arghhhhh (and big sigh) . . . . Jack-knifed bumper pull flatbed today, and managed to cut the wiring from trailer to truck in not just one, BUT TWO places. No big wreck. Just aggravation 150 miles from home. No pics.

My step son did that. It was my truck and trailer of course. Really obvious he had no clue what he was doing.

hooknline":16p2fizf said:
Pictures or I don't believe you
No pics; true story. There was smoke and sparks and the smell of burning plastic. . . . You would probably far more enjoy a video of "Trailer Backing 101" -- I'll see what I can do about that when it occurs. :)

Every trailer is different. I pull a 5x8 everyday and when I hook up the 16 gn I've taken out gate corner posts before. Pulling a 36 bumper pull boat trailer no problem. Shorter trailers are harder to back up. It takes me a few weeks to get used to backing a new trailer. Once I got it I can back one better than most drive forward. Just takes a little getting used to

A neice and her husband are long haul truckers. She can hardly navigate a highway going forward but she can back that big rig around the corners and park it perfect everytime.

We don't need pictures Kathy..........the imagination is a strong tool :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

dun":13htrxkn said:
A neice and her husband are long haul truckers. She can hardly navigate a highway going forward but she can back that big rig around the corners and park it perfect everytime.
I'm jealous. Need a large dose of that skill. How's your weather out there, Dun? Bro-in-law says crops are in very bad shape. :(

I've found with trailer backing the longer the easier to back and the absolute hardest to back is a short narrow trailer. I can thread a needle with a 50 ft. lowboy on a semi, but give me a wood chipper on a pickup truck and I look like a complete idiot!

ohiosteve":3f6k8vnm said:
I've found with trailer backing the longer the easier to back and the absolute hardest to back is a short narrow trailer. I can thread a needle with a 50 ft. lowboy on a semi, but give me a wood chipper on a pickup truck and I look like a complete idiot!
Have been told several times about putting your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel, and then moving it in the direction you want the trailer to move. But I think I just get too aggressive (and not with correct timing) in the steering department. With time and nobody harping at me, I do pretty well backwards with the stock trailer -- but the flatbed . . . . different story.

dun":2xziavjy said:

That cause women folk spend more time looking in the mirror :lol2: Sorry gals, couldn't resist :tiphat:

Kathie in Thorp":3at0ftzn said:
dun":3at0ftzn said:
I'm jealous. Need a large dose of that skill. How's your weather out there, Dun? Bro-in-law says crops are in very bad shape. :(
Other then a little bit up around the river (sedalia area) there aren;t any crops to speak of. Maybe way north but nothing south of the river. Today is the first day in over 3 weeks it hasn;t been 100 plus. Had a couple of 109 and 110 days and that just finished frying everything.
We got 4/10s of an inch this morning so august is now wetter then june or july.

dun":2s4767lb said:
Kathie in Thorp":2s4767lb said:
dun":2s4767lb said:
Other then a little bit up around the river (sedalia area) there aren;t any crops to speak of. Maybe way north but nothing south of the river. Today is the first day in over 3 weeks it hasn;t been 100 plus. Had a couple of 109 and 110 days and that just finished frying everything.
We got 4/10s of an inch this morning so august is now wetter then june or july.
That suckeths mightily. Very dry here, too. Out here, seems like we're in happy rain heaven one day, and dry as a popcorn faart two days later.

Kathie in Thorp":1k3qqk6v said:
That suckeths mightily. Very dry here, too. Out here, seems like we're in happy rain heaven one day, and dry as a popcorn faart two days later.
I was talking to a corn farmer in IL and he said if they're lucky they'll nake 70 bushel an acre, that's down from 210 in nomral years. According to him 70 is just about breakeven

dun":3efrhd7l said:
Kathie in Thorp":3efrhd7l said:
I was talking to a corn farmer in IL and he said if they're lucky they'll nake 70 bushel an acre, that's down from 210 in nomral years. According to him 70 is just about breakeven
Saw on an ag TV program that growers are asking that corn quotas for bio-diesel be lowered, so they can use corn for feed. Wonder what our fearless leader will do about that. ?? (Political? Oooops.) :)

As far as trailors go: It seems to me shorter trailors are harder to back because they turn quicker, less time to react. The best advice I ever got about backing trailors is turn less then you think you need and then add more as you go. That way you don't over steer or over correct and don't be affraid to pull forward and try again

Latest posts