I only have 27 acres, but the grass is primo.

Help Support CattleToday:

treytex

Reaction score
I have 27 acres of prime coastal. It grows great but I know when the night time temperatures get above 80 the growth slows. What I plan on doing is buying some low weight registered bull calves and keep them to maturity. I will divide my pasture into 12 sections and graze each one until The new growth is just enough to produce a high rate of photosynthesis and regraze it before it gets old and woody. I love cattle and making money is of less importance than losing money. I know I will have to buy hay in the winter. I was wondering haw many pounds of hay per 100 punds would be needed to sustain growth. I will put out mineral and OBI feed. How many bull calves could I get on this land. I will put out weed killer and fertilizer. I am also interested in buying any lightweight 300-500 pound registered bulls. Like maybe if the mother needs to go to the sale and you need to sell the calf. I live 10 miles west of Fort Worth, Texas. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe folks closer to you will help you....but my input is to try and change up your posting and get rid of your phone number!!!! If youre not smarter than that youll likely get your way on the losing money part. Good luck anyway

Interesting post...

If your pasture is quality coastal and growth can be sustained, would think you could easily run 10 to 12 head (1000# Animal Unit Equivalents) on the 27 acres. HOWEVER, expect the cattle will trample probably 1/2 of the grass over time. In winter can probably expect around one round bale per week.

If you're planning to divide 27 acres into 12 sub-pastures, you are headed for "intensive" grazing and not too far from "feedlot" practice. 10 head can eat down 2-3 acres in no time flat.

Don't really expect to find 300 to 500 lb registered bull calves that someone is wanting to dispose of...those often non-registered and go to sale barns??? Don't plan on having more than 1 or 2 bulls. You don't make money on the bulls...heifers & cows produce calves which sell...

With all the fencing & cross-fencing you mentioned, expect several years of calving activity before you can even get close to "break even" on the operation...then, hay & minerals will delay the B-E period even further...

P.S.: Take the phone number off of the post... :) Also, 2 mature bulls (14 mos old +) across a fence or in same pasture (unless it is a sturdy 5-6' high pipe fence separating the bulls) is asking for bulls getting out, into fights, or trashing out your fences...

I think you would be better off just fencing the whole place and running 10-12 cows as Bill said. Lot less setup cost than in all that fencing and multiple water supplies. To make a return in registered bulls you have to get a good reputation to turn a profit and that takes years . My 2 cents

Thanks for the input. I like mother cows but wont I do better buying 300 lb bulls and cutting and dehorning them. Has anyone heard that foreigners will pay top dollar for a finished live steer. Maybe I could cater to the asians and arabs.

Best advice I ever got with cattle. Unless you are raising special purpose stock, show cattle, very good breeding purebreds or rodeo stock, grass is what you are selling. The cattle harvest the grass and carry it to market for you. If you have to hay in the winter, you either add the expense of buying it or baling it.

You might try buing some good looking bull calves and raise them to sell as commercial. I do this from time to time. Feed them and care for them as if they were registard. Probly won't touch registard prices but I have always felt I came out ahead after figuring feed and such.

Scotty

Wow, if ya was lookin for a venture where it was easy to lose money, congratulations, ya found it! Just staggers my imagination that someone can want to raise cattle and not care about profit loss...........george

Rookie.. it may "stagger your imagination", but I'm going to estimate that up to 85% of my clients buying farm and ranch property don't care if they ever make a profit in the cattle business either. It seems the "wave of the future" for a lot of small operations is for tax write off purposes.

Rookie,
The first year is when I will see how many calves can be held using rotational grazing. I will also be able to get any problems worked out like shade, water and electric fences. This is going to be a labor intensive learning experiment. I think I will start out with 6 calves and if they all live and gain weight I will get more. I would like to eventually turn it into a feedlot if I can buy feed at the right price. My land was bought for speculation and I figure when I sell I can buy more acreage cheaper in a more rural loation. Does any one know what a flood plain would cost in a good rain producing area. Like in a rural place in missouri or the ozarks.

rookie, without the agricultural exemption my cows give me on my land, my taxes would be over $20k a yr! I pay around $6K now, so if I was to lose a few $$ on the cows a yr, I am still way ahead in the long run and keeping this place ag exempt makes it alot more marketable if I ever go to sell it. You might be surprise at how many of us "hobby farmers" there are in here, but most people wont admit it because some of these "real" cattlemen look down on us. Personally, I dont give a hoot if I'am looked down upon. I know what works for me and what doesnt. I am pretty sure that Treytex is in the same position as myself if he is about 20 miles north of Ft. Worth.

Latest posts