I never

Help Support CattleToday:

greggy said:
And it has not really started yet. But oh is that so true, how the tune would change if anyone became one of the "numbers" that reqd. help.

I will be honest, a large chunk of our cases came from the US...

There is no acceptable loss in my family or my stock for that matter, this will get ugly real quick for us and the US.

If simple measures can help, and it takes 2 weeks of my life to change some habits, then, so what....I would give that up to help save anyone on CT, anyone related or even friends of CT, be nice, to be honest, I would do it if it helped save your cattle .....and I am selfish natured person.

It is like saying....I wont fix that fence cause only 5 of my 1000 cattle will wander onto tge road, and only 2 may be killed when hit.....acceptable if you can fix the fence in half a day ?

There are some crazies around greggy. I had a car go through one of my roadside fences just before calving and ended up fixing it by delaying milking about three months later.
During that time a consultant who was on the farm at the bequest of Dairynz who were concerned about the amount of grass available to the cows, instructed me to put up a polywire on the roadside and graze the affected field.
Every single time I put up a polywire, hot or not, between 1 and 8 cows are on the wrong side of it when I fetch them. Once or twice a month it's the entire herd. Naturally, the hole in the fence was on a tight, blind corner of the road.
Consultant had that information. And I rejected her advice to graze the paddock while the road fence had an unrepaired hole in it.

I went to the Ontario Walmart last weekend. It was barren of all things that required cooking. My fear is that people will run out of frozen pizzas, chicken nuggets and bagged fries, and start killing those of us that can cook and steal our homemade meals.

Redgully said:
I watched a video on all things that could kill you, all i was thinking was we really don't need 1 more thing!

lol.....I am doing more stuff outside, not watching too much.....tbh....do not watch much anyway.....

regolith said:
I've been sug

gesting that anyone affected keep a food diary.

This is a highly interesting social study (for everyone who doesn't have to live through it). What I know is that some people *can't* go to the grocery store twice.
I went the other day to do a regular bimonthly/monthly shop and around 1/3 of the items on my shopping list were not available.
It's autumn here. Pumpkin soup, baked pumpkin, baked potatoes, milk, beef, ripe corn on the cob.
Jolly good thing I'm not reliant on the grocery stores.

You have reminded me to plant some more veges.....

If worst comes......I guess we will be eating a lot of baked, boiled, fried, dried.....beef and lamb.......and maybe a ration of weaner pellet as a side :)

If chooks do not start laying more, maybe a sunday of chicken....

Bestoutwest said:
I went to the Ontario Walmart last weekend. It was barren of all things that required cooking. My fear is that people will run out of frozen pizzas, chicken nuggets and bagged fries, and start killing those of us that can cook and steal our homemade meals.

There will be a lot of stuff for sale if the power and or gas goes out......

Maybe the rush is due to all the people who usually eat out or get take away....all of a sudden they need to eat at home....

Dave said:
callmefence said:
Dave said:
I never thought I would see the day when it is easier to buy pot than it is to buy toilet paper.

Just got back from our weekly trip to the store (we didn't need toilet paper). We walked each isle to see what was sold out. Plenty of fresh produce, meat case full, and the freezer section was full. Bread was pretty thin, no sugar, flour, rice, dry beans, butter, soda crackers, and some select items in the canned goods were gone. The wife wanted yeast and oatmeal but they were gone. Turned down the paper isle. Not a single roll of toilet paper, paper towels, or napkins.
I assume you scored the pot no problems??

No pot for me. That was back in the late 60's while in college. I would have had to drive the other direction on the freeway. One of these days when I go the the Vale cow sale I will have to stop and take a picture of the fancy new pot shop. It is right next to the Love's truck stop in Ontario, Oregon. Burnt River Cannabis. Actually you can google it and the first thing to pop up is a picture of the fancy new building.

Well I'm just saying if we're on lockdown..... smoke em if you got em" :cowboy:

Bestoutwest said:

Some people I know said they saw people from Boise clear over here in Baker buying things. That has got to be over 120 miles each way.

Dave said:
Bestoutwest said:

Some people I know said they saw people from Boise clear over here in Baker buying things. That has got to be over 120 miles each way.

People here are hiring buses and going on "raid" trips to country towns and cleaning out the country stores. Now many country areas are making you show I.D. and checking your address before you can enter the shop.

greggy said:
regolith said:
I've been sug

gesting that anyone affected keep a food diary.

This is a highly interesting social study (for everyone who doesn't have to live through it). What I know is that some people *can't* go to the grocery store twice.
I went the other day to do a regular bimonthly/monthly shop and around 1/3 of the items on my shopping list were not available.
It's autumn here. Pumpkin soup, baked pumpkin, baked potatoes, milk, beef, ripe corn on the cob.
Jolly good thing I'm not reliant on the grocery stores.

You have reminded me to plant some more veges.....

If worst comes......I guess we will be eating a lot of baked, boiled, fried, dried.....beef and lamb.......and maybe a ration of weaner pellet as a side :)

If chooks do not start laying more, maybe a sunday of chicken....

Lots of people having the same idea, but now is an excellent time to start - autumn planting season for frostfree areas downunder, spring planting for the northern hemisphere. I'm putting in brassicas, peas, spinach, lettuce, carrots, will plant potatoes soon and try to protect them from frosts with an overplanting of turnip leaves.
Trying to get some chicken meals here but I only got chooks for the first time a couple of months ago and none of them have gone broody to start the next generations.

Dave said:

That's just stupid. People are getting out of control. We only went to Ontario b/c we figured it would be easier to navigate. We're about half way between Nampa and Ontario, which is why we go that way.

Talked to the youngest son last night. He is over in Olympia WA. He said a guy stopped in at the shop asking if anyone knew where he could get some meat. He told them that he had been to 6 stores and hadn't fond any meat at all.

Do ya'll have drive thru stores? I wish we did here. It would sure come in handy when needing to pick up some basic things. It's a pain in the butt trying to drag two kids in the store just to grab a few things.