I need to shoot some holes in some steel things...

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
Which of these is most likely and most easily to penetrate the bottoms of oxy/acet bottles from 100 yards??
Any?
Most of the oxy bottles are size M (200 cu ft) and the acety bottles are #4 and #5 (8.5" and 12" diameter)

ammo.jpg

I would think the SK with FMJ would be your best bet but not sure if any will go thru they are pretty thick. Soft point ammo would not do much IMO. The acetylene are the less dangerous of the two to try it on.

There is a man here who used to cut them all the time and make bells out of them. Seemed dicey to me but he said there was nothing to it once you know how.

Fastest bullet. Seed is what penetrates steel not what the bullet is made of except ap rounds

None of them.

Some people remove the valves and fill with water and cut them.
Around there lots of people make grills out of used 55gal drums. It is very common for them to use this method.
Had a client one time whose husband brought home a barrel from work to make into a grill that he was told was safe. He did not fill it with water. She became a widow that day.

Remove the slug from the case. Use a drill press and a #12 drill bit to auger a hole into the tip of the bullet. Don't drill through; stop about an 1/8" before the bottom. Best to use a lathe to stay centered and consistent, but a pair of vise grips and drill will work.
Now take a #10 cobalt drill bit and cut it (or break it) to a length so it'll press into the hole flush with the tip. The interference fit won't let it slip out. You will have to score either the hole, or the projectile, along the length on one side. This is to allow the atmosphere to displace as the drill bit section is pressed into the bullet.

Do not sharpen the drill bit. It will penetrate better with a very blunt squared off end.

Now you have a lighter, faster projectile. The drill bit will penetrate. The "husk" will ricochet. Be careful.

EDIT to add..........You should probably use smaller bits with the calibers you mention in your post. Use the chuck end of the bit, not the fluted section. I'm also assuming that you have access to reloading equipment to re-crimp the case neck.

Last edited:
Around there lots of people make grills out of used 55gal drums. It is very common for them to use this method.
Had a client one time whose husband brought home a barrel from work to make into a grill that he was told was safe. He did not fill it with water. She became a widow that day.
Did they settle out of court?

I know even a wimpy 300 Blackout will punch right through 1/4" mild steel plate with 110 grain FMJs.

Latest posts