I need information about peanut hay

Help Support CattleToday:

keysbottles

Reaction score
I plan to buy heifer calves (5-600 lb) this fall with the intent of growing them into mamas. I'm looking at different hay options that are available in this area, of which one is peanut top hay. This hay is new to this country and not much is know about the pros and cons of feeding it. I've heard that the protein % is good, the hay contains dirt, and the round bails break easier than grass hay. What else do I need to know?? Is this a good choice for what I have in mind?? How much will I need per calf to winter them?? Thanks Don

it is excellent feed , it will have sand and dirt in it and will deteriorate very quickly if not stored under barn or wrapped. I have never tested any but cows will inhale it. I have seen horses founder on it.

Its pretty good feed and real cheap if not free and like mentioned it doesn't keep well. There was some research that showed it hindered fertility but I've never seen that to be a problem.

On replacement heifers, watch that they do not get too fat on peanut hay. Had a friend who wrecked the whole set of purchased heifers but they were pretty before they calved. Not saying anything bad, but maybe make it part of the ration but not the constant ration.

I will be baling this soon as the peanuts are combined

IMG_20160927_175602397_HDR_zpsd3j6qccs.jpg

IMG_20160927_175600551_HDR_zpsloarekp9.jpg

Ebenezer":3v6izbwk said:
On replacement heifers, watch that they do not get too fat on peanut hay. Had a friend who wrecked the whole set of purchased heifers but they were pretty before they calved. Not saying anything bad, but maybe make it part of the ration but not the constant ration.

Stuff works wonders if you run it though a feed mill.

skyhightree1":3v6izbwk said:

You think less of your baler than I do. I won't put my baler in a peanut field even if it is free.

Jogeephus":vdof4em8 said:
skyhightree1":vdof4em8 said:

You think less of your baler than I do. I won't put my baler in a peanut field even if it is free.

If the baler doesn't do what I want it to do then it's no good to me :D

skyhightree1":3ewag2ic said:
If the baler doesn't do what I want it to do then it's no good to me

If it spends much time in peanuts it won't be much good to anyone. All that grit is rough on them.

Jogeephus":rpbnnhlg said:
skyhightree1":rpbnnhlg said:

If it spends much time in peanuts it won't be much good to anyone. All that grit is rough on them.

Yea if keeps raining 1-4 inches a day on them like the last week won't have any grit to worry about :lol2:

I never fed it but have had people tell me it will wear their teeth down to where young cows look old if you try to mouth them. Like I say never fed it so this is only hear say on my part maybe some that has fed it can give some input. If that is true I would question feeding a lot of it???

BRYANT":1ibrfayb said:
I never fed it but have had people tell me it will wear their teeth down to where young cows look old if you try to mouth them. Like I say never fed it so this is only hear say on my part maybe some that has fed it can give some input. If that is true I would question feeding a lot of it???

I been feeding it for years and never had the teeth issues... Now peanut Hays not my only hay source I put peanut vine out with grass hay so maybe that's why but I never heard it messing up the teeth

We've never fed it but a lot of farmers around NE Georgia are considering it this year due to hay being short. Have got prices on it being delivered at $40 - $50 per bale. Bales are 4 x 5 rolls.

Jogeephus":2bvjjrvm said:
skyhightree1":2bvjjrvm said:

Back when G'dad and my dad grew peanuts they would bale the tops. Always square bales, never round bales (they didn't own a round baler). A lot of the hay was ground up with corn, minerals and molasses. Cows absolutely loved it and they did really well through the winter. I don't grow peanuts and my dad told the ASC office to stick the allotment where the sun don't shine years ago. Is there still an allotment on peanuts?

lavacarancher":2nygtcpo said:
Back when G'dad and my dad grew peanuts they would bale the tops. Always square bales, never round bales (they didn't own a round baler). A lot of the hay was ground up with corn, minerals and molasses. Cows absolutely loved it and they did really well through the winter. I don't grow peanuts and my dad told the ASC office to stick the allotment where the sun don't shine years ago. Is there still an allotment on peanuts?

I've made a lot of feed that way and you're right the square baled peanut hay does great in a feed mill.

Peanut allotments are a thing of the past. That was a strange thing wasn't it? Last I remember, allotment peanuts fetched $1000 ton and open market were at $300/ton but food manufacturers had to buy allotment peanuts and couldn't buy the other.

Jogeephus":do5zgun3 said:
lavacarancher":do5zgun3 said:

I've made a lot of feed that way and you're right the square baled peanut hay does great in a feed mill.

Peanut allotments are a thing of the past. That was a strange thing wasn't it? Last I remember, allotment peanuts fetched $1000 ton and open market were at $300/ton but food manufacturers had to buy allotment peanuts and couldn't buy the other.

Kind of the way I remember it too. I think it was the FED's inept way of doing price support - limit the supply and the price would stay up. I've still got dad's old peanut digger. If I'm not mistaken, cotton was also allocated which was OK by me. I hated picking cotton.

skyhightree1":9u5wmxd6 said:

IMG_20160927_175602397_HDR_zpsd3j6qccs.jpg

IMG_20160927_175600551_HDR_zpsloarekp9.jpg
Are those jumbo/Virginia peanuts or the Georgia type? It looks like I need to raid that field for some boiling peanuts.

Latest posts