I need help, How Do I Bleed a Cow?????

Help Support CattleToday:

Baird

Reaction score
I have 150 black angus cows that were exposed 90+ days ago. I want to bleed them this year and send the blood off to check for open animals. My question is, what is the best way to bleed a cow. I have all of the facilities for handeling cows. I have a lot of experience pulled blood on swine. I just need to know where the best place is to pull the sample.

Baird":7xwjezwn said:
I have 150 black angus cows that were exposed 90+ days ago. I want to bleed them this year and send the blood off to check for open animals. My question is, what is the best way to bleed a cow. I have all of the facilities for handeling cows. I have a lot of experience pulled blood on swine. I just need to know where the best place is to pull the sample.

Underside of the tail.

I have had trouble finding a vein . Do you go straight down with the needle or at an angle? How big around is the tail vein?

Why are you going to bleed them instead of having a vet preg check them? Is it cheaper? Does it give a definite answer at an earlier stage than palpating?

We have been doing it for 3 years. It is very easy to do.The cost is less than a ranch call and cost per animal. Also you can do it when you want to not when the vet can come and be late due to an emergancy. The best is they are 99% right. A lot better than sticking your arm in a black hole full of **** and tring to find a bb. Hope this Helps.
God Bless

I raise their tail like you are tailing them to castrate. About 4 or 5 inches from the base of their tail on the underside you'll find a groove. Put your finger on the groove and rub back and forth till you find a hollow spot probably one or two joints down the tail stick your needle in the spot and pull some suction on the plunger and ease your needle around till blood runs in. If you find it a time or two, you'll know where to look from then on. It's easy to do but kind of hard to explain.

Thank you all for the information. The last time I had the vet do palpation and he check over 20 negative. I kept 10 of the 20 to rebreed, but 8 of the 10 had a calf. Needless to say, the vet probably cost me $$.

Latest posts