I need a home made vanilla ice cream recipe

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
I really want to duplicate Blue Bell's Home Made Vanilla ice cream.
Anyone got a recipe that can approximate it?

(please don't mention Ben & Jerry or Haggan Das Ice Garbage recipes-I wouldn't put either of those up a dog's butt if he was fartin fire.)

I dont know how it compares to blue bell but i just put whole milk, 2 cups sugar, and vanilla to taste

I don't know about Blue Bell's either, but this one is great and works without needing to beat while it freezes - it's all the air which makes its texture so nice.

4 eggs, separated. Beat whites to stiff peaks, gradually add a little under 1/4 cup of caster sugar while still beating.

Beat 300 ml cream. (More cream is better, up to 500ml we've tried; depends how fat you want to get.)

Beat egg yolks with a little under 1/4 cup of caster sugar until the mixture becomes light in color. Add vanilla essence.

Fold the egg yolk mixture into the whites, then the cream into that, then put the whole lot in a container to freeze.

The original recipe had 1/2 cup castor split into the two parts, but we found that a bit too sweet.

After 3 attempts, I have it like I wanted.
2 packs of Junket Very Vanilla mix.
1 pint Bordens Heavy Cream. (Don't skimp on this one--use the best heavy cream you can find)
2 cans evap milk.
1 can sweetened condensed milk.
1 pint half and half.
1/2 -3/4 cup of sugar.
10 whole FRESH eggs.
3 qts whole milk.
1 tablespoon general purpose (NOT selfrising) flour.
1 pinch of salt.
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. (the kind of teaspoon you stir your tea with)

Mix dry ingredients well.
In a separate bowl, Beat the eggs with mixer for about 1 minute.
Combine liquid milk ingredients, and mix on low speed for 2 minutes--add dry ingredients as you mix--reserving 1 qt milk--add eggs slowly, mix for another 30 seconds or so. Pour into 1.5 gal ice cream freezer. Add enough whole milk to bring volume to 2 1/2" below top of freezer can. Stir slightly, install dasher and can lid and start churning. Took just over 1 hour and 25 lbs of ice and 1/2 box of rock salt for it to freeze.
It's rich, it's creamy, it's good. (and no, it wasn't inexpensive)