I love it

Help Support CattleToday:

So it's ok for that industry to thrive but the ones that are in industry that thrives on lower fuel prices should continue to suffer. There is a balance and an ebb and flow when one suffers the other thrives and visavera. It's been been this way for a long time.

I wonder what percentage of the population in total are affected by closing of an oil rig. .0005 maybe? And of that number how many actually lose the job instead of transferring. I know it must be tough for those that do get shut down but most likely they get transferred to another operation or rig.

I'm just a simple minded man, and I ain't taking a side, but financially I was doing better before gas went sky high. Everything I buy is higher now, and I doubt seriously most of it'll go down.

$1.89.9 is the cheapest we've found around Middle GA. A gas tax is coming. There is always something to make sure you don't get a break. Prices of groceries sure haven't come down since gas prices decreased. We were told they had to go up because fuel was so high.

Our power bill went up because of a fuel surcharge. Now that it's really low we should be getting a rebate or something. But that won't happen, the shareholders will make sure of that.

Price of fuel is a part of the equation and sometimes an important part. But it seems that many are forgetting what has drove the price of commodities up so high in the past few years....

Free money. Artificial, Fed induced, money grows on trees, inflation won't go away just because the price of fuel has dropped.

Those of you griping about the oil and gas industry having some success over the past few years don't get that without their success, America had practically 0 success in creating jobs, supporting our over spending, and protection ourselves from even higher prices of fuel.

Jealousy is dam ugly thing and the root of over half of our problem as a country. No one is content with what they have when they see someone else with more or having success- whether it still benefits them or not. Pretty sad.

M5farm":3763lggp said:
So it's ok for that industry to thrive but the ones that are in industry that thrives on lower fuel prices should continue to suffer. There is a balance and an ebb and flow when one suffers the other thrives and visavera. It's been been this way for a long time.

Thats not what im saying. I do think the downturn in oil effects many other peoples jobs negatively who are not in oil. Restaurants. Hotels. Banks. Autos. Repair shops. Grocery stores. Gas stations. All these people will have less income.

I give up. All you folks that are crying about those bad old oil companies should go back to plowing with mules and riding horses to town on Saturday. Course, the movie that you saw back in the horse and buggy day will cost you $10.00, not $.10. Were you really hurting that much when the price of fuel was $4.00? How is it that the price of your energy surcharge that won't go away the fault of the oil companies? Bad old oil companies, shame on you. Here's another question for you. How come with the cost of producing a gallon of gas running around $1.75 and the cost of producing an equivalent energy amount of Hydrogen about a third of that why aren't we using Hydrogen as a fuel. After all it is the most abundant energy source in the world. Oh, I know the answer. It's the oil companies. I guess you have to beat up on someone.

Hook":2ipohxqr said:
I wonder what percentage of the population in total are affected by closing of an oil rig. .0005 maybe? And of that number how many actually lose the job instead of transferring. I know it must be tough for those that do get shut down but most likely they get transferred to another operation or rig.

I dont know the percentage of population hook but according to forbes 31000 layoffs in the last month. Those are only the big players reporting those numbers. There are countless other mom and pops closing and laying off. And no they arent transferring anywhere. Theres no where to transfer to.

That's where we disagree . Down turn in oil prices helps these businesses in all of the areas not in the oil fields. majority of people work normal jobs and gas prices and all the increases in other goods have hindered them the last few years. Me personally I have an extra 400 bucks in my pocket a month now. People that have extra money spend it. They travel, eat out, fix or repair their home buy new clothes etc. The people that don't live in oil producing areas have struggled for quite some time now. Yes it sad that some people may lose their jobs with cheaper prices but what about the ones that lost them 5-6 years ago because businesses had to cut back because of lost sales due to high cost related to high fuel.

lavacarancher":16lgkwjw said:
I give up. All you folks that are crying about those bad old oil companies should go back to plowing with mules and riding horses to town on Saturday. Course, the movie that you saw back in the horse and buggy day will cost you $10.00, not $.10. Were you really hurting that much when the price of fuel was $4.00? How is it that the price of your energy surcharge that won't go away the fault of the oil companies? Bad old oil companies, shame on you. Here's another question for you. How come with the cost of producing a gallon of gas running around $1.75 and the cost of producing an equivalent energy amount of Hydrogen about a third of that why aren't we using Hydrogen as a fuel. After all it is the most abundant energy source in the world. Oh, I know the answer. It's the oil companies. I guess you have to beat up on someone.

Yes it has been hurting for a long time. We don't live in oil country and my business Is directly effected by the price of crude. It has caused the roofing industry to change. Not only are people struggling to put gas in their cars they can't afford to spend 7 to 10k to replace a roof that 5 years ago would have been 3 to 5 k. We suck it up and get by and now that we have some money back in our pocket people are bytching because it's going to effect one sector of the economy. Lower prices will impact the country more. It will effect all businesses when the biggest majority have money to spend. Sorry but at this point I'm ready for relief and if someone in Texas loses a 200k job so be it , the restaurant down the street will be hiring because more people will be eating out.

I dont think we disagree all that much. In non oil areas there will be an uptick. I wander though if the increased spending there will offset the loss of income in other areas. Roughnecks always have money to spend on eating out and other things.

Craig Miller":utku3ipx said:
I dont think we disagree all that much. In non oil areas there will be an uptick. I wander though if the increased spending there will offset the loss of income in other areas. Roughnecks always have money to spend on eating out and other things.
Last week we were gonna stop while in town and grab a quick bite on Friday night . We had to go 3 different places to find something to eat that was not an hour wait. I have not seen that here in 5 years. Seen 2 businesses (service)today with help wanted . My business has been better this week than in the last 6 months . The manufacturers I buy from reduced the fuel surcharges and product cost by 10% .

I can tell you this my business is my primary income 99% of what's needed to run it requires fuel. high fuel takes $ put of my pocket. My fuel bill is almost 2k cheaper this month and I love it. I understand low fuel costs have many effects both positive and negative but I'm loving low prices

Commercialfarmer":3m1430b0 said:
Price of fuel is a part of the equation and sometimes an important part. But it seems that many are forgetting what has drove the price of commodities up so high in the past few years....

Free money. Artificial, Fed induced, money grows on trees, inflation won't go away just because the price of fuel has dropped.

Those of you griping about the oil and gas industry having some success over the past few years don't get that without their success, America had practically 0 success in creating jobs, supporting our over spending, and protection ourselves from even higher prices of fuel.

Jealousy is dam ugly thing and the root of over half of our problem as a country. No one is content with what they have when they see someone else with more or having success- whether it still benefits them or not. Pretty sad.

That was exactly what I was thinking as I was reading the responses.
I doubt oil prices have even come close to affecting the inflation growth we've seen nearly as much as the fed running the printing press wide open.

You want to blame someone for the drop in oil prices look at OPEC. They stated their intentions.
It's supply and demand. I doubt the demand has been reduced very much world wide, but factor in the added production due to high prices and OPEC not cutting production because they know the US can't operate at those prices.
They'll bust those guys then cut production and oil will go back up.

If we would stop all oil imports and rely solely on our own production and cause the middle east some grief I would be glad to pay for 4.00 diesel

Cheaper crude prices will force oil companies to cut cost and become more efficient. Where were the workers that are being laid off employed before the oil boom? Answer: Some were fishermen. I'm in the shrimp business and we have had many struggles the past decade. Cheap wholesale shrimp prices, high diesel another and lack of qualified crew. When crude prices soared 10 years ago, our industry lost many crew men and captains to the oilfield. Who could blame a man that could go from the hard life of a shrimper making maybe $60 grand a year to being a glorified cab driver on an oil supply boat and make $350 to $700 per day. Nothing wrong with oil boat captains by the way. Some are family. My shrimp trawler burns 10000 to 12000 gallons per month so I know we need profitable oil companies but.....I have had to get competitive to survive. So can they. Besides the only entity more wasteful than oil companies is government. Cheaper oil is nothing but a win.

We've seen the cycles before. Natural gas fell out in price a few years back. Peaker power plants than ran off of gas had been mothballed. People laid off.

Tax decrease is going to hurt states.

Plastic production becomes more cost effective.

Our foundaries went overseas years ago.

Americans are innovative. Many inventions come out of necessity.

Latest posts