I learned an important lesson last night - handling cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

sidney411

Reaction score
I learned an important lesson last night. We worked one herd of cows last night and there was a bull calf, about 500 lbs. that would not go in the pens. We tried to get him in with the cows - he wouldn't go. We turned out a cow and tried to run them together into the pens from the trap - he wouldn't go. I had a bat. He came after me and I hit him on the nose as hard as I could with the bat and it DID NOT deter him at all. He rammed me into a fence - thank goodness it was only a dividing fence that was just panels and it was somewhat flexable and not one of the corral fences that are pipe. I hit him several times w/ the bat and he didn't even seem to notice. We never got him in the pen. I guess I'll have to rope him and drag him in the trailer. I was under the impression that if you hit a cow in the nose hard enough they would stop or at least turn - now I know that is not always the case. I'm just glad he's not any bigger then he is. I've never had one before that had no reaction to smacking on the nose.

I would have put a old calm cow in the pen with him and moved them together.

This works wonders sometimes.

You got him so wild he will never handle easy. He will take on anybody who gets close.

Good luck! Yeah the 44 would stop him, and future trouble for you. :cowboy:

I did turn out a one of my calmest cows with him and she would go right back in the pen every time and he would turn back. We tried that 4 times and he did the same thing every time. We only messed w/ him about 15 mins. He wasn't a problem in the pasture, comes every time I call them in for cake. He was fine this morning too when I went out to check them - he paid me no attention and was not a bit nervous/flighty/aggressive. He's worth too much money to break out the 44 yet. I just wanted to let people know how unpredictable cattle can be.

Glad you are ok.
Welcome to the real world.
When one goes beserk, they will not be stopped by anything that doesn't put them dpwn. He will probably calm down with other cattle.. Just have a fast exit point next time and be cautious. People somwtimes too fast wanting to shoot one. Just know potential to go wild is there and act accordingly. In fact, as you have learned, that potential is always there.

Yup, when one gets like that you can beat them nearly to death and all it does is p_ss them off more.

Rope him if you can and haul him off.

Been there and got the scars to prove it.... :)

I had one of them "calm / nice / sweet / loving" 500 pound bulls turn on me one day. I never knew how fast or high I could jump until then. I had a choice whether to jump head first over a 5 foot fence or get put over it by the bull. I don't intend to ever get put in that situation again. I amazed myself that day.

Glad you're ok.
I taking this as a warning to me. My " puppy dog gentle " brahman bull this morning while he was eating this morning charged at me. Well blew the lil snot then jumped at me I had the show stick at him and yelled at him, so he turned back and just started eating like nothing happen.I can't afford to have a charging bull at no point. Now I gotta make a decision on what to do with him. Hate to get rid of him but can't take a chance too many kids are around him.

Glad you are OK Sidney.
The bull that came at me got the business end of a pitchfork in his nose. Never went near him without it.

You may consider a nose ring and chain, we use them on our Holstein bulls, and it definetely slows them way down!

Gail

Yeah Sid, sounds like you got him figured out. I don't think I would have gone ahead and shot him either.
But You know, 500 pounds is still purty little. Watch out for him as he gets bigger. Once he thinks he can be boss, LOOK OUT! Be careful, and have that 44 handy.

glad your okay... watch him,and get him out of there as soon as you can..
i don't think they ever forget the crazyness once they start it, he may not ever act up again, but don't fgive him the chance. donna

Only worked him 15 minutes? Wow he got hot pretty quick. If he will come to cake then you should be able to get him in later. Glad your okay and thanks for the reminder.

sidney411":2z6ls49h said:
I did turn out a one of my calmest cows with him and she would go right back in the pen every time and he would turn back. We tried that 4 times and he did the same thing every time. We only messed w/ him about 15 mins. He wasn't a problem in the pasture, comes every time I call them in for cake. He was fine this morning too when I went out to check them - he paid me no attention and was not a bit nervous/flighty/aggressive. He's worth too much money to break out the 44 yet. I just wanted to let people know how unpredictable cattle can be.

There always seems to be a loose screw in the bunch. When one cow goes nuts they are gone on the first train leaving. Just curousity Sid what is the breed cross. The absolute worst I ever dealt with was Limm/Brimmer crosses. I have seen Herefords loose it as well and when one of them goes nuts I think they are worse as they seem to have a closer flight or fight zone and it comes on faster.

He is a pure bred angus. Both his sire and dam will eat cubes out of my hand. He's really a nice looking bull and I was comtemplating raising him as one, that is why he was not cut but now he is bigger then I want to cut and is headed to the sale barn the 2nd/3rd weekend in March when I sell the other calves. I went out and fed again yesterday afternoon matching up calf tag numbers to cows and he came right up to eat like nothing ever happened.

Yeah, he got hot fast - It was probably less then 5 mins it took to get all the cows in the pens. He wasn't stomping around or snorting,bellyaching or anything - just charging. To go into the pens is like a funnel out of about a 1/2 acre "trap pen" We could run him up to the mouth of the funnel fine - then he would turn back and charge as the other cow(s) went right into the main pen.

I really don't have a clue as to how to load one that acts like that except with a horse and rope, any ideas for when that time comes in March? I expect he will be around 600lbs by then.

Thanks everyone!!! :tiphat:

sidney411":1b3fxkfj said:
He is a pure bred angus. Both his sire and dam will eat cubes out of my hand. He's really a nice looking bull and I was comtemplating raising him as one, that is why he was not cut but now he is bigger then I want to cut and is headed to the sale barn the 2nd/3rd weekend in March when I sell the other calves. I went out and fed again yesterday afternoon matching up calf tag numbers to cows and he came right up to eat like nothing ever happened.

Yeah, he got hot fast - It was probably less then 5 mins it took to get all the cows in the pens. He wasn't stomping around or snorting,bellyaching or anything - just charging. To go into the pens is like a funnel out of about a 1/2 acre "trap pen" We could run him up to the mouth of the funnel fine - then he would turn back and charge as the other cow(s) went right into the main pen.

I really don't have a clue as to how to load one that acts like that except with a horse and rope, any ideas for when that time comes in March? I expect he will be around 600lbs by then.

Thanks everyone!!! :tiphat:

Rope and Horse, tractor will work also just drag him in. I bought a brangus a few years back if you pushed her she went out the closest fence. She ate good.
This is one reason all my pens are set up now you are going through two traps.

Now that you are aware of his problem, next time, you might try to quietly move him to the front of the group, than herd them into the barn. Hopefully, if he's up front, he'll just go with the flow or get pushed in by others. Be sure the entryway is not dark.

You probably mentioned it already. Is he weaned? If not put the mother in a pen. When the calf starts missing mama he will be eager to join her where ever.

Latest posts