I hope this isn;t too political

Help Support CattleToday:

I voted 2 weeks ago by mail in ballot- which has became very popular in our area- both with voters and with county election clerks...At that time almost 1/4 of the voters had already voted early ballot.....Probably end up with about 1/2 the registered voters voting early- which will relieve todays polling places...

everyone,

i'm not trying to be argumentative, but this is something i tell EVERY person i that i hear say it's your "right" to vote (or do anything), i tend to think it's my "privilege". If more people treated this country like they felt it was their privilege to live here and not their right, we'd be better off (get rid of that sense of entitlement our society has!).

my comment isn't directed AT you dun, or anyone particular on this board. i just thought it might provoke all of us to give some thought to the subject

I'm going to go vote after awhile. Lots of amendments and other offices to vote on besides president. Any suggestions on who to vote for president? :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: I'm just keeding! :lol2: mucho haha.

circlet":zz6q5d69 said:
everyone,

i'm not trying to be argumentative, but this is something i tell EVERY person i that i hear say it's your "right" to vote (or do anything), i tend to think it's my "privilege". If more people treated this country like they felt it was their privilege to live here and not their right, we'd be better off (get rid of that sense of entitlement our society has!).

my comment isn't directed AT you dun, or anyone particular on this board. i just thought it might provoke all of us to give some thought to the subject

I is a priviledge but is also a right gaurenteed by the Constitution

dun":a8n1cpiu said:
I is a priviledge but is also a right gaurenteed by the Constitution
Aah, no it's not. Common misconception. Your vote is protected against discrimination.

This is not meant to be argumentative or political, just informative.

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20060206/jackson

The Right to Vote

The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not
be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.
— Fifteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution (1870)

The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not
be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state on account of sex.
— Nineteenth Amendment (1920)

The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any
primary or other election . . . shall not be denied or abridged . . . by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax.
— Twenty-fourth Amendment (1964)

The right of citizens of the United States, who are eighteen years of age or older, to vote, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state on account of age.
— Twenty-sixth Amendment (1971)
http://usinfo.state.gov/products/pubs/rightsof/vote.htm

I don't mean to be confrontational, but a right to vote is not in the Constitution.
And by all means, VOTE :!:

The Constitution, amendments to the Constitution, to me it's alwasy been the same thing. Salt in stew is only an amendment, but it's still part of the stew!

Listening to the news people are coming out in record numbers to vote..I think that is awesome that people are not being complacent . :D
Our election last month had the lowest turn out in decades ,that is pathetic and there is no excuse for it. :(

I worked for a candidate. One of those annoying folks who offers you the candidates card. We attached a peppermint to ours. Is that buying votes?
Anyway, most of the folks in the precint where I worked read Dun's exhortation and came out to vote.
Around 800 registered voters (and remember the registration lists contain people who have moved, etc) and near 500 voted.

Went by my polling place at 6:30 this morning and there was a line out the door, so I went on to work. Stopped by after work and must've hit it just right 'cause it only took about a half hour. I was voter number 1668 and one of the judges said the previous record was 1289. This was at about 4:45 and the polls were going to be open till 7.

Voted early this morning. I like to think of voting as a responsibility that we assume as citizens of this great nation.

My wife, Daughter and I voted today. Living in a small rural community has some benefits. We were in and out in ten minutes. We spent another half hour visiting with neighbors. God bless America.
Tom.

I punched my own ticket about 3 this afternoon. Must have been record turn-out for our precinct because they were all out of the dandy stickers by then. The point isn't the sticker though. The point is I made my choice, and I made sure it was counted.

Latest posts