I have come to hate fencing but it looks good when done

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
Seems like that is all I've done for the last few years, build new fence and crossfence or rebuild what the hurricane took out. Crossfence I am almost done with and was probably the easiest I have done since it was all clear pasture and straight line, but working alone at 63 those T posts eat me up. (yes, I alternated which side of the wire I put the t posts on with this one-for a reason. It's going to get pressure from both sides.
gardenfencing2013016.jpg

How I do gates:
Latch side
gardenfencing2013018.jpg

Hinge side:
gardenfencing2013017.jpg

I do the ends the same way-- do corners same as this and always have. Never lost one or had one rot below ground or pull up or move.
Got to put something across the water part and done.
gardenfencing2013019.jpg

Your fence rows look really good! I have been doing a lot of fencing myself lately and our fence rows and H-Frames, and gates look real similar!

Your soil looks like it has a lot of sand... are your t-post easy to drive in? What kills us here in Tennessee is the rock!!

That is not sand. It's an alluvial whitish looking clay that formed from 1000s of years of a river gently dropping fine silt particles when flood water rose then receeded. It's like cement for about 4-5 inches, hard to drive into, then turns to a reddish clay that's not too bad to drive posts in now but will be hard in mid summer.
I only have sand right down by the river's bank-clay everywhere else. Not much loam anywhere.

Sturdy and straight.
Dang fine thing to be done with.
Until...
I guess no one's ever really done with it.
Looks real good.

Nope--never done, but repair and maintenance I can handle--building 'em from scratch is bad enough, but pulling one out of grown up brush and replacing it completely I really hate. This one will probably get a couple of hot wires as well, but that's easy enough.

Greybeard if you were only going to get pressure from one side which side of the post would you put the wire? I've seen it done both ways. I usually put it on the inside.

bhooper":126yy8w4 said:
Greybeard if you were only going to get pressure from one side which side of the post would you put the wire? I've seen it done both ways. I usually put it on the inside.
Wire goes on the side of the post that the pressure from animals is coming from. The "knobs" on the tee posts also face the animals. Trying to keep something in, the wire goes to the inside of the posts--I don't trust just the tee post clips to hold the wire, especially if they are the cheap alum alloy clips and some of these are. 7' Tee post--about 56" above ground, spaced 11 feet apart. I don't try to make it perfectly level--I just follow the terrain of the ground but I want the bottom wire to always be so a new calf can't roll or be shoved under it.

Yes, I used 1/4" galvanized cable, but on long runs especially down by the river, I have used some 1/2 stainless cable for diagonal brace tie. Corners and ends are the life of a fence--they gotta be there for a long time.
Overkill--probably, but that's the way I learned in '66 and have done it that way ever since.

The fence looks real good G.B. If that's your cross fence, what's your perimeter fence look like?? That is a real heavy duty looking fence to me, but to think it will keep a calf in I don't see it. I had a calf die once with it's head stuck through field fence trying to get to the woods.

1982vett":3vtbun6d said:
Hey greybeard...did you pound all those in with a driver?
Yes, and if you look at the below pic, you will see a horizontal line left to right in the middle of the pic. That's a 5 wire I built in 2007 or 2008 the same way--about 2700' long. I drove em all in by hand too. I hired a guy to hold some tee posts while I drove them down with my backhoe bucket one time on another fence. All that pounding squeezed the front rubber bushing out of the motor mount right before we got thru and the fan got in the radiator. An expensive lesson--I don't do that anymore.

It was all woods back then I just cleared out a lane wide enough to walk thru and sight my rifle down to where I wanted the other end of the fence. Planted 1 telephone pole 5' deep on each end. It was a pain. I pulled and stretched one strand to get a straight line, then put in gate and H posts along the way, then started pulling the other 4 strands. Some places I could barely fit between trees. Had the roll of wire on a trailer on the far left of the pic, and grabbed the end and started walking--unspooling it as I pulled. Get to one of those waterways, I tied a line and brick to the end of the wire, and tossed it across, then walked down or up the canal till I came to a crossing and went over and back up to my brick and started pulling again. Too wide and too deep to jump or wade. Did that 3x5 times--once for each canal and strand. Sometimes get about 100 ft and the wire would hang on the roll and I would have to walk all the way back to the end and sort it out.
Once, I was over 1 roll length down the length of the property, with every barb hanging and snagging a root or vine and it felt funny--harder to pull, but it was still coming. Finally wore me down and I walked back and found the roll had come off the shaft and I was dragging the whole roll along the ground. I had done drug the blasted thing about 60 feet. :devil2: Wasn't enough room to get a tractor or 4 wheeler down thru there either. Took me 3 pulls with comalong and goldenrod stretcher to get each strand tight and straight.
2013googlearthsm.jpg

One of those canals I had to throw the line over and drag wire over:
cowsandtallow012.jpg

Another fenceline I share with my out-of-state brother. He didn't want to share the cost, so I only ran 4 wires. He did spend about 3 hours, grudgingly helping me stetch wire and pound posts in. He's lazy as hades as often as he can be. Can't believe we're twins sometimes.
cowsandtallow029.jpg

Here is about 1/3 of that same 2700' long fence today. It was solid woods when I built it, but it's still straight as an arrow.
cowsandtallow014.jpg

Highgrit, the pic above is one of my perimeter fences. The one along the river doesn't look that good, as it is grown up some and has been thru some flooding the last 5 years. 4 strands most places, but the same kind of corners. Front fence along the highway I haven't touched much since I and my brother built it in 1966. Grown up quite a bit from the outside on govt property. I ain't allowed to cut anything outside my fences on govt land--they want that "pristine" look. Not weeds, not vines, not trees--nothing.
Yes, a calf can sure get under one of em, but not easy--the strands are tight as a fiddle string. I can't, by myself put up woven wire and my kids are all grown and spread to the 4 corners of the country for now. I'm just an old man trying to get by with what little I know.
:D

Anyway--you beginners that might read this--you sure ya wanna have some of this kind of life?
Better have some grit or a lot of $$--or at least youth on your side. I'll be 63 in a couple weeks and lots of folks here go thru a LOT more than I have--just to have a few cows.
:D

Jogeephus":2dk5j7vg said:
Why is your gate level? ;-) Looks good.
Because I'm not an educated man Jogeephus, and don't know crap about geometry or physics and I have never figured out how to engineer one of those multi purpose gates that automatically stay at the position you open it to and grade the road at the same time. It's one of my big failings and great regrets in life. :frowns:

Hey Greybeard, My husband has done over 20 years of fencing as a livelihood in Oz and I showed him these pics of yours. He thought they were good, different to the way he'd do it, but a nice neat job!!! By the way he dosent do fencing now. HATES IT, Lol !! :)

Latest posts