i hate neighbors

Help Support CattleToday:

Hook is right, once they start they won't stop. Years and years ago, we had a neighbor whose husband had passed away. He had three big German Shepard cross dogs that were really good dogs when he was around, but after he passed she couldn't control or contain them. They got to snooping around the pastures, so I spoke with her, and she did not see any problems. I told her what my options were and she told me to do what I needed. About a week later I found them up in the pens with some weaned calves. One snarled at me, killed all three of them right there. Stopped and told the lady, I sort of think she was relieved in a way...

Anyhow, I hope you get it worked out, but I do think you'll have to kill the dog, unless they come to their senses and keep it contained. :2cents:

I don't understand why people think talking is going to do anything.
Low profile is the only way to handle this, a dam dog, hog and fenceline has started a pile of fued's.
Man with a box of 22's can make your life miserable or a cigarette in your hay.
If Rover just disappears no one is any wiser.
The problem with 99% of the people they just have to tell someone how they took care of this problem.
It will get back you can bet on it. If you shoot it make sure it drop's and the problem doesn't run home.
I prefer a conibear or a snare no noise, Roover has dun run oft.
Being right does't mean it it isn't going to hurt your billfold.
Be Right and Quite.

The worst thing is when you shoot a dog and it doesn't kill it and it goes home all full of buckshot. Maybe not the worst but pretty bad.

Wait until you see them leave, go get him with a .22 so there's only one small hole, take him out to the road and run him over. When they get home you be the one to go tell them that you hate to inform them that their dog was runover(it's true so you can say it without guilt) and offer to bury it for them... If you really want to be a nice guy give the kid a puppy that you know you can get along with when it grows up... I get along with all of my neighbors, even the one that used to have a pitbull. :D

Another way to do it is get a nasty old dog killing cow with a new calf but then you have to have a way to get her back out of there when the dog is trained.

Baby bottle nipple on the 22 muzzle makes it awfully quiet, or so I'm told. You'd probably want a scope so the nipple doesn't obstruct your sights.

I've found it a lot easier not to warn the owners or even act like it bothers me that the dog is in my pasture . I throw some scraps out wait on the dog to check for scraps . Pop him with a 22 and haul him off . Don't tell the wife kids or anyone . Problem solved and when they come lookin for the dog I say nope haven't seen him in a few days .i shoot everything in the head . Hogs, cows , dogs . 22 kills em dead

greybeard":1g85dw0g said:
hooknline":1g85dw0g said:
Whatever you do don't shoot a pit in the head. Shoot for the vitals
You tryin to say a pit's brain isn't vital?
Nope. Just saying I've personally seen a pit with a hole in its skull make its way back home

backhoeboogie":2xpl0zik said:
Baby bottle nipple on the 22 muzzle makes it awfully quiet, or so I'm told. You'd probably want a scope so the nipple doesn't obstruct your sights.

How well does it work on a 223? Or what does work?

kenny thomas":ks7vxgk0 said:
backhoeboogie":ks7vxgk0 said:

How well does it work on a 223? Or what does work?
They make a adapter that fits on your barrel and screws into a oil filter . Shoot it once to knock a hole in the filter and its accurate after that . Look it up on you tube . Under oil can suppressor .

cow pollinater":3o49hmuw said:
Wait until you see them leave, go get him with a .22 so there's only one small hole, take him out to the road and run him over.
This works. Inject highly toxic lead, run over it with the tractor a few times, place it in the curve of the road after dark.
Let them be the one to find it. Next time you see the man, mention how glad you are that they have been keeping the dog penned. Let him share the news of the road kill.

The old saying is true, no good deed goes unpunished. Good of you to think of their kid's feelings for the dog. Too bad the wife is an ill-tempered bully. I know the type and just makes you wanna smack them up side their head, doesn't it? Next time it happens, and it will, just make the dog disappear and get Alzheimers about it.

Shame you can't shoot the loud mouth bit*h also, then when the sherif comes you can say 'well you did say 'I could shoot the dog' sorry bad me....I wouldn't worry to much about the child seems he/she doesn't care to much about the dog as it wouldn't be coming over your fields if he was being cared for, i.e played with, but how can a child play to well with that kinds breed of dog? and these people breed and vote!

Unfortunately I'm am expert in this area. I have had to kill 5 or 6 of my neighbors dogs over the last 10 years. They have always been good friends and neighbors. They just have had a habit of bringing pits and chows home over the years. The first time I found a dead goat in their yard I stopped and questioned them. They acted like it wasn't their fault. I called animal control that came out and told them that I had the right to kill the animal harassing livestock. I also got confirmation from sheriffs. They pinned the animal didn't have problems for about a week. Then I saw another dead goat in their yard. I stopped and told them They owed me 200.00 for the kids that were killed(they never paid). And if I saw the dog intthe field I would kill it. They said they understood. A few days later I saw all the goats running toward the house with that dad gum dog chasing. I grabbed my 06 and laid him down. I then drug it to the corner of where our fields meet and left him for them to smell. I never told them again I just killed every one that chased my cows or goats. I wish I would have had a jackass back then because I haven't had another problem since I got the donkeys. It also doesn't take but 1 time and your community will know you do not tolerate unwanted animals harassing your live stock. I would get a report from the sheriffs of your incidents and have them tell your neighbour that you have the right to kill that dog. And any retaliation from them could lead to criminal charges.

i have learned my lesson..prior to this it was always the 3 s system. i wont be in contact with them again. from here on out i am with caustic and hook...

i was feeling bad bout the kid but i guess that if they dont care bout the kids dog i shouldnt either. if i hadnt known it was thier dog i would not have hesitated..next time i wont..btw...i got some tomcat yesterday...hope the little fella is hungry

Kingfisher":1xg5di89 said:
Next time dogs on your property catch it up and take it to the pound
:clap: Great idea. I love living here in my hidey hole in the
middle of the woods, but get dogs dropped off out here. We do have great animal control in the county and the come get em. People :? :devil2:

I wonder about a pit that is aggressive enough to attack and run calves as being a good pet for kids. The pits that I know that are family animals are very mild mannered and have zero aggressive tendencies towards other animals.

Years ago we lived in an area where we had neighbors. There were two dogs that would show up and start chasing chickens. We didn't know who they belonged to. Well one day the dogs were coming across the pasture. My husband got his gun. The dogs saw him and started to run away. He shot. A dog yelped and kept going. Several months later I saw a friend at the store and she asked me if I heard about Judy's dog. I said no, I didn't know what she was talking about. She told me that Judy's dog came home without it's tail. Oopsie. I said Really? Does she know what happened? The lady thought that it got it caught in something. The dogs never came back.

chippie, any husband that can cleanly shoot a dog's tail off with the dog at a run--across a pasture--is definitely a keeper. :clap: :mrgreen: ;-)

Latest posts