I Hate Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

I truly believe there are cattle that have lost their natural instincts. Kind of like comparing a working coon or cattle dog with generations of working blood and a Labradoodle.

When I worked for a guy who had quite a few black Angus cattle he always had issues. The cattle were accident prone. Just not very smart animals. You literally had to check them daily to see what they had gotten in to. They would all be dead in our operation where they might get checked once a week at best.

It kind of blew his mind that I had 3/4 of the head he did 300mi away that I only checked on the weekends.

djinwa":1n1vj7yd said:
Black and Good":1n1vj7yd said:
Here's an example of how stupid they are. Right behind that tractor there's a rolled out hay bale! :mad: :bang: B&G

Actually, the instincts of the heifer tell her to not have a calf out in the wide open for all the predators to see. Not that stupid.

If humans were smart, we'd try putting the bedding in a secluded spot to reduce stress.[/quote

Right in the middle of a rutted up lane way??? I'm sorry I don't see any instincts in that at all. B&G :tiphat:

Brute 23":1h77vupp said:
I truly believe there are cattle that have lost their natural instincts. Kind of like comparing a working coon or cattle dog with generations of working blood and a Labradoodle.

When I worked for a guy who had quite a few black Angus cattle he always had issues. The cattle were accident prone. Just not very smart animals. You literally had to check them daily to see what they had gotten in to. They would all be dead in our operation where they might get checked once a week at best.

It kind of blew his mind that I had 3/4 of the head he did 300mi away that I only checked on the weekends.

Again, this is some of the things I have experienced and worry about too. Sometimes, I just see what i consider some weird behavior in cattle sometimes and I wonder if they always have enough sense to always make the best decisions about their care.

Brute 23":5ig032m3 said:
I don't like buying other people's heifers unless I am very familiar with there day to day operation. Too many animals are kept that shouldn't be.

Brute 23":5ig032m3 said:

You should be able to find some that you know as well as your own?

I know some guys around here that check cattle like that (not due to the distance like you). Seems like they are generally the ones that say they never lose one, or have any problems with their cattle too. Lucky suckers, I guess.

Anyone that says they have never lost a calf or cow either doesn't have any or is lying.
I had a stretch of nearly 10 years without losing one, had one year lost half the crop to neospora.
That was back when I was running my highest numbers. That one year made up for a bunch.

I know guys who the only time they see the cattle is when they sell or drop a bale of hay. I have heard some of them say they never lose a calf or not many, I always just thought they rarely see them so they don't miss it if it is gone.

wacocowboy":w3nm45ve said:
I know guys who the only time they see the cattle is when they sell or drop a bale of hay. I have heard some of them say they never lose a calf or not many, I always just thought they rarely see them so they don't miss it if it is gone.
Like CB said one time, go down around Winnie in the salt grass and there's cows that never see a man till they get hauled to sale.

Actually, the instincts of the heifer tell her to not have a calf out in the wide open for all the predators to see.

I dunno--sometimes I think their instinct is to not have them at all if they can help it.
I have one I think I'm going to feed some and butcher--seen her in heat and mounted 3 times now--2 different bulls and not bred yet. Time for her to go freezer or ring.

greybeard":2ep8kw0a said:
wacocowboy":2ep8kw0a said:
Like CB said one time, go down around Winnie in the salt grass and there's cows that never see a man till they get hauled to sale.

Actually, the instincts of the heifer tell her to not have a calf out in the wide open for all the predators to see.

I dunno--sometimes I think their instinct is to not have them at all if they can help it.
I have one I think I'm going to feed some and butcher--seen her in heat and mounted 3 times now--2 different bulls and not bred yet. Time for her to go freezer or ring.

There are some like that up here. A few miles down the road is a mesquite patch full of wild cattle

My favorite heifers are the one that just stare at the calf like it is an evil demon, and if the calf takes a step toward them the cow backs away.

wacocowboy":x8bm1eka said:
My favorite heifers are the one that just stare at the calf like it is an evil demon, and if the calf takes a step toward them the cow backs away.
Yep--like "whooa--where'd YOU come from?"

greybeard":t1uau5xk said:
wacocowboy":t1uau5xk said:
Yep--like "whooa--where'd YOU come from?"

I've had two of those. One never came around to being a good mom then she died before I could sell her. Lucky the one last year came around and was a good mother but she sure didn't want nothing to do with that calf at first.

So we have some cattle that will hide a calf for 2-3wks before they bring them out. Then there is another group at another property that hides them for a week or so generally. Two completely separate herds on two properties. I had heifers from the 1wk property at the property where they hide them for 2-3wks calving. Those heifers didn't bring their calves out for 2-3weeks.

Its not that surprising but is very interesting. Every one knows one bad apple will ruin the bunch when it comes to a wild cow. That's why I think its important to keep cattle with strong, similar, survival instincts. Buying cattle with poor survival instincts can take its toll just as bad as physical traits over time IMO. Ill take instincts over physical appearance any day.

I have this ignorant tiger stripe bull. I literally almost just shot him one day that's how much I hate him. He throws some great calves though and has really good natural instincts, almost to a fault. I had to sell all of his first heifers because they were too wild and I couldn't get them to settle down. This go round I pulled them much younger than I usually do and mixed them with other heifers from other properties. They are going to be great. Very easy to handle. I am going to purposely start stocking that place with the most mellow cattle to help offset him a little.

These are two first calf heifers I raised bred to that TS bull. Both had bull calves :bang: that I can feed out of my hand now. They are bred again... hoping for some heifers this time. :)

8_zpsae0f2fd8.jpg

18_zpsd741be51.jpg

Latest posts