I Hate Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Broke my own rule couple years ago and bought 5. First I had bought in decades.
This girl has crapped out twice now. If I didn't so much in the POS she would have left the first.
Lost the first one to drowning in the creek and still birth on the second.
Should have dumped her after the first broke my rule on that as well.
Well back to hard ass don't deliver every 12 month take a ride.
She is hamburger bound this summer with the calves.

Have you priced hamburger at the store?

I bought the LEM Grinder. It goes through about 20 lbs a minute. No kidding. No pushing and no work. You can't bag it fast enough. Have several bowls ready.

Had a heifer go down while calving. Fought her for a week and couldn't get her on her feet. Almost had her up a few times. So I called in the family and told them to bring ice chests. We ground her up.

I just checked the specs. They say 13 lbs per minute. I swear it goes faster. Sure seems like it. Mine is the LEM #22 .

CB if you can cut the meat in to 1 to 2 lb chunks, I can grind it and keep up. We need another crew to bag it as I hand them the bowls of meat.

backhoeboogie":2b73j5c5 said:
I just checked the specs. They say 13 lbs per minute. I swear it goes faster. Sure seems like it. Mine is the LEM #22 .

CB if you can cut the meat in to 1 to 2 lb chunks, I can grind it and keep up. We need another crew to bag it as I hand them the bowls of meat.

BHB, I have one of those and we made sausage this past weekend. It does a great job grinding the meat but not so good stuffing the casing. I will probably buy an electric stuffer from LEM before I do sausage again.

backhoeboogie":1i2qlu2u said:

I have a big Commercial Grinder.

I agree with you CB I hate heifers, and I just bought 3 of them last year. Couldn't find any registered cows close by and was worried about the tax man so I bit the bullet and bought these 3.

wacocowboy":3okdfsbz said:
I agree with you CB I hate heifers, and I just bought 3 of them last year. Couldn't find any registered cows close by and was worried about the tax man so I bit the bullet and bought these 3.

Neighbor keeps telling me to give her another chance, said she is one of the finest he has ever seen.
Told him for 2500 he could have her and I would be losing money.

Took a risk and bought 5 Gert heifers this summer bred to an angus bull. So far so good 3 calved unassisted with no problems. Waiting on the other two (and the other shoe to drop!) Really wanted some Gerts to put my Hereford bull on and bred heifers were all I could find. It's working out so far. Fingers crossed.

I have kept about twelve heifers. So far they have all done well. I have two more due to calve in May and three more not ready to breed yet. I keep saying no more heifers. I did buy two registered cows and calves last May and paid too much for them.
They both had bull calves that I am still raising. I may keep the angus, but will sell the Simmental in a few months.
It is hard to know what is best. I try to pick out my best looking heifer to keep each time I sell some.
I am having to replace a lot of my mother's old cows and get the herd built back up.

Heifers are gambles and you never know what could happen. However, every cow on our place that we raised from heifers are arguably the best cows on the place and you never have any problems with them when you are working the calf they just stand and wait. That's a BIG plus in my book when it comes to cows and heifers.

Black and Good":1qiw7h9s said:
Here's an example of how stupid they are. Right behind that tractor there's a rolled out hay bale! :mad: :bang: B&G

Yep that is about right for heifer that's why I like to pen them in a good area where I chose the place not them.

This goes along with what I was getting at in the thread about cattle taking care of their needs. I assume it doesn't always apply to heifers. It appears they can sometimes be the idiots of the herd.

Last few days have been awful. These old sale barn cows have been dropping a few calves along. It sure is nice having those old cows that know how to do their job. One yesterday had a calf they was a day or two old when I saw it, she had tucked him into the south side of a real tight brush pile. Had freezing rain about two hours later.

herofan":2xo6k71q said:
This goes along with what I was getting at in the thread about cattle taking care of their needs. I assume it doesn't always apply to heifers. It appears they can sometimes be the idiots of the herd.

:nod: :nod: :nod: B&G

Black and Good":25tbwlph said:
Here's an example of how stupid they are. Right behind that tractor there's a rolled out hay bale! :mad: :bang: B&G

Actually, the instincts of the heifer tell her to not have a calf out in the wide open for all the predators to see. Not that stupid.

If humans were smart, we'd try putting the bedding in a secluded spot to reduce stress.