I guess I should be embarassed...

Help Support CattleToday:

regolith

Reaction score
I called my vet earlier for advice about a cow with a ... nosebleed :roll: :roll:

That being all that caused that particular panic, any of you ever seen a cow go completely limp, eyes blank, then start breathing again and get up and walk (well, not exactly walk - stagger) away. I thought she'd died.

How severe was the nose bleed? I don't think I would take that lightly??
As for the cow going limp, never seen something like that-how would you go about resuscitating a cow, jump on it? :shock:

The only thing that comes to mind is a stroke or low blood pressure. How bad was the nosebleed?

regolith":1dw6vglb said:
I called my vet earlier for advice about a cow with a ... nosebleed :roll: :roll:

That being all that caused that particular panic, any of you ever seen a cow go completely limp, eyes blank, then start breathing again and get up and walk (well, not exactly walk - stagger) away. I thought she'd died.

Not a cow but a big a$$ brahman bull once...Don't ask me why but I picked up a rock and threw it at him. Well of all things...it hit him right between the eyes and he folded up like he had been shot with an elephant gun...finally came to....raised up...looked around...struggled to his feet and staggered off like "What the he}} was that".

I don't see anything to be embarassed about... they can bleed to death if the nosebleed is extreme (ie pulmonary (lung) hemorrhage). My boss had one die like that a year or two ago, found her still alive but she died not long after. Not sure what you'd do for them though. On a side note, learned in class recently that bleeding to death like that is a little more commonly found in horses and results from rupture of the carotid artery.

TexasBred":3l0mgqg3 said:
regolith":3l0mgqg3 said:

Not a cow but a big a$$ brahman bull once...Don't ask me why but I picked up a rock and threw it at him. Well of all things...it hit him right between the eyes and he folded up like he had been shot with an elephant gun...finally came to....raised up...looked around...struggled to his feet and staggered off like "What the he}} was that".

GEEEEEEEEZ TB I always figured you for a tuff sonofagun, but that's over the top. You sure you're not really Nolan Ryan? I bet that bull didn't mess with you again. :cowboy: (were your first thought something along the line of "shyt! I think I kilt him)? :shock: :help:

GEEEEEEEEZ TB I always figured you for a tuff sonofagun, but that's over the top. You sure you're not really Nolan Ryan? I bet that bull didn't mess with you again. (were your first thought something along the line of "shyt! I think I kilt him)?

Absolutely :!: :!: The sucker didn't even belong to me. My mind was already calculating 1700 lbs. @ 74 cents a pound. :lol2:

It was the same cow - I'd nearly killed her, a risk you sometimes have to take. She's looking pretty good this morning.

Surprised so many think a nose bleed can be a big deal - but I'd had to pull her out of the milking pit with a tractor and chain, the chain real tight because it could barely reach her when I'd got the tractor as close as possible. I knew she was choking when I lifted her hind legs back on to the platform, got back on the tractor and pulled her clear of the edge and that's when she went limp, and she was still completely limp and floppy when I took the chain off and let her head fall back to her shoulder and waited for signs of life.
Then she flopped her head forward, started breathing again and the blood started coming out of her nose - not huge quantities, and only from the nose not the mouth but I'd only seen that sort of thing in cows that I've found dead and I wasn't too sure yet if she was going to stay in the land of the living, but her breathing was getting stronger, the bleeding stopped and a few moments later she lurched to her feet and staggered off out, trembling and staggering like a cow with massive brain damage (like ryegrass endophyte poisoning, maybe BSE or polio though I've never seen BSE, have seen the other two).

That's when I called the vet for advice on her prognosis, and he explained that the nose bleed was due to high pressure created by the chain bursting blood vessels. I'd always thought the sort of blood you see when they die came from the lungs, and didn't know if a living cow could survive bleeding lungs, or if the oxygen deprivation (which I presume caused her staggeriness) would have caused permanent damage that could kill her.
Apparently not. But it's far from her first adventure like this - she may well be getting a one-way ticket soon.

Alisonb - this is number 81, the cow whose udder I photographed a while back for your thread. She's eleven this year, going on twelve. Any normal cow I'm sure would have rested up for half an hour, but not this one.

Lucky he didn't know it was you ;-)

I'm amazed 81 never tried to have a go at me for doing this - or while I was in the pit with her trying to convince her to climb back up under the rump rail. A couple years back I pulled another cow up a bank she'd fallen down and as soon as I took the chain off she came at me - I had to duck round behind the tractor.

Texas Bred,

I got a story for ya.

When I was a teenager a friend of my dads had a young cow that would not accept her calf and the friend called my dad for help.

He grabbed up his trusty sidekick (teenage son, (me)) and headed over there.

when we got there the calf was trying to nurse but the cow would not stand for him. she would lick him but every time he tried to nurse she would run off.

Dad spied an old horse barn that had and alley and stalls on both sides. He says to side kick, "Let's get her in that alley and see what we can do."

So we rigged up some gates and blocked off one end of the barn alley and got the cow and calf in there. The calf was hungry and still trying to nurse so dad says "Let's just hold her in this alley and I think the calf will convince her to let him nurse."

Dad fired up an L&M and we stood side by side blocking the open end of the alley.

the cow decided to make a break for it and tried to run between dad and the side of the barn. he never moved his feet and I swear while taking a puff on his cigarette, swung his right fist and hit that cow in the middle of her face and knocked her to her knees.

Now he did not knock her out but he stopped her and a couple of minutes later the calf was nursing the cow as she stood quietly in the alley.

trusty sidekick made mental note, "Do Not Pi$$ Off Old Man".

That was back in the day when men were men and the women were glad of it.

pdfangus":3ostigtj said:
Texas Bred,

I got a story for ya.

When I was a teenager a friend of my dads had a young cow that would not accept her calf and the friend called my dad for help.

He grabbed up his trusty sidekick (teenage son, (me)) and headed over there.

when we got there the calf was trying to nurse but the cow would not stand for him. she would lick him but every time he tried to nurse she would run off.

Dad spied an old horse barn that had and alley and stalls on both sides. He says to side kick, "Let's get her in that alley and see what we can do."

So we rigged up some gates and blocked off one end of the barn alley and got the cow and calf in there. The calf was hungry and still trying to nurse so dad says "Let's just hold her in this alley and I think the calf will convince her to let him nurse."

Dad fired up an L&M and we stood side by side blocking the open end of the alley.

the cow decided to make a break for it and tried to run between dad and the side of the barn. he never moved his feet and I swear while taking a puff on his cigarette, swung his right fist and hit that cow in the middle of her face and knocked her to her knees.

Now he did not knock her out but he stopped her and a couple of minutes later the calf was nursing the cow as she stood quietly in the alley.

trusty sidekick made mental note, "Do Not Pi$$ Off Old Man".

That was back in the day when men were men and the women were glad of it.
:lol2: :lol2: pdf sounds like your dad knew how to administer to long lasting strong medicine. Some lessons are never forgotten

I cracked a steer in the head with a broom handle once, didnt think I'd even hit him hard but must have just got the magic spot because he was down for the count. Out like a light.

Scared the poop out of me, I thought I'd killed him. After a minute or two he got up, shook his head, and went on like nothing had happened.

Well I clocked my husband on the back of the head with a clod of rock-hard dried mud once and he didnt like that much either! We were loading horses on a transport and I threw the clod at one which had stopped at the head of the loading ramp. Hubby chose just that minute to pop up on the rails to urge the horse on - bingo! a direct hit! Once he came round and realised what had happened, it was too late - I was long gone!!
Also knocked an eight month thoroughbred filly foal out with the knot on the end of a rope - swinging it around her to get her used to it, it hit her on the poll and knocked her out cold. She came around none the worse for wear.