I got bit by a snake today!!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

seen picture of a rattlesnake killed on sandmountain recently.. weighed around 100 pd had 24 rattlers and a button was on the news friday ...cant find the pic yet but will post it when i do

alacattleman":x08a703s said:
seen picture of a rattlesnake killed on sandmountain recently.. weighed around 100 pd had 24 rattlers and a button was on the news friday ...cant find the pic yet but will post it when i do

MAN! it's sure gettin deep around here this morning. 100lbs. what was he eating LEAD mice.

3waycross":1oe0bwze said:
alacattleman":1oe0bwze said:

MAN! it's sure gettin deep around here this morning. 100lbs. what was he eating LEAD mice.
:cowboy: dont know,, thats why i like to find out more about it.. things get bent outa shape pretty fast.... seem every bodys got a pic on their cell phone, but cant tell much about it

Here is what they say in Colorado when the season is not open:
According to the Colorado Division of Wildlife, it is legal to kill rattlesnakes when necessary to protect life or property, provided that the method used is in accordance with city and county ordinances. Call your local police and animal control departments for details.
The most common method to kill a rattlesnake is clubbing or shooting. The midget-faced rattlesnake (a subspecies of the western rattlesnake), the massasauga, and all nonpoisonous snakes are classified as nongame wildlife and are protected by state law, except as noted above
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/natres/06501.html

They too tell you how to get him out of your house without killing it.
They go on telling you about sweeping it up in a wastebasket, putting down sticky paper, then taking it outside, and pouring vegetable oil over the board to neutralize the glue so the snake can break free.
Taking burlap bags, and wetting them down, making a bed for the snake, then taking a scoop and scooping up the bed and taking it outside. Image that snake when he boils out of that burlap sack when you are carring him outside!!!! :lol2: I would just go ahead and have the ambulance sitting outside the house if I was going to try that one.

But still, the way they word it, I would not act like a nut over the snake if I saw a Game Warden. He may be a Barney Fife looking for someone to haul in. I would give him a very good reason why I killed him, and not say just because he was laying there and tell him that he is a punk kid.
But if anyone ever runs into a GW and is looking for his first arrest, and uses the snake issue, do come back and tell us the story when you get out of jail, 'cause it would be fun for us and we could write about it forever. But not so funny to the person and their pocket book.
Chuckie

My Mother's husband, is from East Tennessee, and is scared to death of a snake. He will call me and tell me to come look at a Copperhead that he shot out of a tree! :shock: He'll say that it is the biggest one he has ever seen. When I get there, it is a Chicken snake or a Rat snake, what ever you choose to call it. He will argue because it has a dot here and there that has a light coloring on it. I can't say that I have ever seen a Copperhead up in a tree before. The ones I see are all on the ground. They really like being close to ditch banks with running water. That is where we chop up the most with the disc mower. On the other side of the field, we see none.
Chuckie

rattlesnake.jpg

Killed THIS morning in Screven Co., Ga. That's what the email said. Why is that guy drinking beer in the morning?

thats the exact same picture thats been circulating here. if it is sandmountain that would answer your question about the beer :cowboy:

ga.prime":3reqjn6u said:
Why is that guy drinking beer in the morning?

Sorry I really can't grasp the meaning or point of your question..... :drink: :drink:

Alan

Its illegal to kill a snake in Georgia also. Unless its threatening you. Guess that's why the Ga. Extension Service has a wonderful snake recipe in their literature. :lol2:

Jogeephus":20lpa0g8 said:
Curtis, I've never been bit by a copperhead but a friend of mine got bit on the arm and he said it felt like fire. Was your's similar? I thought the cottonmouth's bite was a dry bite that's why I didn't worry but undoubtedly more venom was there than I thought but it really didn't hurt that bad but I also think it was a reflex bite and not a angry bite.

Jo, when the copperhead got me i thought i was a goner within a few seconds, deep burning pain all the way to the bone. My arm swelled to my shoulder and i was very sick for several days.
My son got bite by a small rattler a couple of years later and got over it a lot better than i did.
I think like Ryder does on snakes, i don,t need any of them.

That's exactly the description he gave. I've been lucky as all my bites have basically been dry and not from angered snakes. Did take time to heal but wasn't terribly painful. I know a fella that was picking corn and he set his basket on a big rattlesnake. He heard a scratching noise but didn't pay it any attention. When he lifted the basket it popped him in the leg. Luckily his wife was there and she dialed 911 and told them to meet her at the bridge. She said he was doing cartwheels in the car before they got there. Ambulance carried him to the hospital (20 minutes away) and they said his heart stopped three times on the way. He is ok now but he was really lucky.

What's a snake bandage? My doctor told me to do nothing but get to hospital ASAP. That's one piece of advice I don't think I'll have trouble following.

Jogeephus":28ay33uo said:
What's a snake bandage? My doctor told me to do nothing but get to hospital ASAP. That's one piece of advice I don't think I'll have trouble following.
At first reading I thought this was sound advice.
Then I got to thinking that more people die from hospitals than from snake bite.

The snake bandage is only to help you to get to Hospital. Always seek medical assistance.

It is a longer than normal bandage. We were taught not to tourniquet any more. You start at the bite - go down the leg and then up past the bite to the top of the leg. Firm but not tourniquet.

If you look at first aid they tell you to start at the bite and go up. But that is because most bandages are not long enough and by the time you have started at the bite and gone down, you have run out of bandage to go up.

I figure it is best to have one in each tractor and one down at the bore. Probably best to have one in the house and one in the cars as well. Anywhere that they can be kept safe and dry, and you know where to find them in an emergency.

If I'm following your correctly then the pressure on the injection site slows down the venom spread.

My doctor is pretty up on snakes and we were talking about them one day and he told me the majority of the bites are on the hands or the face and most victims had been consuming alcohol. I think this just goes to show that most of our snakes are not the vicious attackers some make them out to be. I work in the outdoors most every hour of the day and with the amount of exposure I have to them its amazing how few I see. However, if someone is with me then we - or the second person - will see the snakes I walk over. My doctor said that for the most part, reflex bites that occur in these situations are rarely very venomous. Its when the alcohol is mixed with the words "I ain't skeered" and "watch this" that the bite gets ugly.

Latest posts