I got bit by a snake today!!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

I have heard that the difference between American and Australian snakes is that American snakes will chase you down and Australian snakes do not. Most people are bitten by a snake in Australia by accidentally standing on it or by trying to kill it.

All snakes in Australia are protected. It is against the law to kill them.

Suzie Q":19ffc1l7 said:
Just read back through this thread then. 3waycross said, "worst part about that Cotton Mouth SOB is that he will chase you down if he can."

Actually most of them won't and will just lay there and let you walk by them. The cottonmouth is territorial during nesting season and seems to have a vile temperment if you get in its zone. Motherly instinct? On the other hand a racer will run from you if it can but if you mess with it long enough it will also have its bait and chase you down too. (just my personal observation) Oh, indigos will do this too if monkeyed with long enough. Oh, and oak snakes too. :lol2:

Jogeephus":5t30a85i said:
Suzie Q":5t30a85i said:
Just read back through this thread then. 3waycross said, "worst part about that Cotton Mouth SOB is that he will chase you down if he can."

Actually most of them won't and will just lay there and let you walk by them. The cottonmouth is territorial during nesting season and seems to have a vile temperment if you get in its zone. Motherly instinct? On the other hand a racer will run from you if it can but if you mess with it long enough it will also have its bait and chase you down too. (just my personal observation) Oh, indigos will do this too if monkeyed with long enough. Oh, and oak snakes too. :lol2:
Like anything else when annoyed they defend themselves, So if you leave them alone they will leave you alone. So whats the problem? the answer would be to leave them alone and they will eventually go away. :?

chrisy":132yjnau said:
So if you leave them alone they will leave you alone. So whats the problem? the answer would be to leave them alone and they will eventually go away.

Where's the fun in that?

I was riding a ATV (four-wheeler) one day and was about to cross a washout in the road when, what appeared to be a dead tree limb laying in the road, was actually the biggest timber rattler I have ever layed eyes on. I was concentrating on just which was the best way to conquer the ditch and didn't even know it was a snake until the front tires rolled over him and he instantly struck at the four wheeler just missing my leg. When I rolled over him the front tires went in the wash and the four-wheeler stopped. I was over the handle bars and standing about thirty feet away in a fraction of a second. He coiled up beside the still running four-wheeler and set there rattling, waiting for something to move.

I looked around and couldn't find a thirty foot long stick stout enough to kill it with, so after what seemed like fifteen minutes, I eased around him and went back to my truck and got a shotgun. When I got back he was gone and then I got to looking for him. I didn't know if he crawled up in the four-wheeler or was laying right beside me. Everywhere I looked I could see dead tree limbs, and I wasn't about to stick my head down to look under that four-wheeler. So I carefully eased back to the truck and left it there running and came back the next day and got it.

That snake was at least 5 feet long and as big around as a 4 inch pipe and every time I go by that place I think of that snake. That was over twenty years ago, and I am usually not scared of snakes but after seeing how close that one got to striking me, you don't let it get out of your mind.

chrisy":3n45pkrn said:
Jogeephus":3n45pkrn said:
Suzie Q":3n45pkrn said:

Like anything else when annoyed they defend themselves, So if you leave them alone they will leave you alone. So whats the problem? the answer would be to leave them alone and they will eventually go away. :?
cotton mouths dont have to be annoyed they will come and get you... but if you do annoy them,, then may the lord be with you

We always hear of stories of how people died at the hands...er...mouths of water moccosins. People skiing and falling into a bed of them. One boy was going fishing and dug up worms, and they were snakes. They bit him and he died.

Then I love to read the Foxfire book on the snakelore. Of course these stories are coming from people in their 90's from in the mountians in the South, where I am from. But they have stories they believe.

They have the Hoop snakes that they have a stinger in their tail. They will roll up in a hoop and come rolling toward ya', and if they hit you with that stinger you will die, or if it hits anything else, it will die too. One morning this hoop snake came rolling toward a man, and he jumped behind a honey locust tree, and the snake hit the tree. He said that the big old honey locust was wilted before twelve o'clock!

Joint snakes. If you hit a joint snake, he will break up into pieces as long as your finger. Just like you cut him up. And if you leave him there till the next morning, it will be a snake again. Or you can hit one, turn your back to him, and turn around, you can see the head moving backwards and hunting every piece, going back together.

They had coachwhip snakes that would wrap around you and then whip you with their platted tails. It would make animals run themselves to death, whipping them. It said they knew of an old fat boy that got into a fight with one that died. They said when they found him, the snake had whiped him till his hide was split all over. :lol2: :lol2:

Those people were truly scared of snakes!!!!
I can't remember where I saw this documentary video, but it was of the Church where they handle the rattle snakes.
I wonder if they would like to try some water moccosins?
Chuckie

chrisy":396xkdcy said:
Judging from the other posts I don't think they are accepting you as the snake authority.
:D :D

Maybe you had better stick to spiders.

ga.prime":3qjg8m8l said:
I'd sooner tangle with a cottonmouth than a diamondback.
When I was a litle boy I heard stories, particularly of loggers, getting bit by diamond backs but I have never seen one in the wild. I thought they were just stories or they had become extinct in this area. But I recently saw a map of the regions they are found in and it included this area. :help:

I have only seen one coral snake. Would just as soon not have any association with them. :shock:

Snake bites only kill about 7 people in the United States every year. You have a better chance of getting killed by falling off your bed (about 600 people are killed every year from falling off of furniture).

I read these statistics and the snake part didn't really surprise me. The furniture part did at first, then I got to thinking about mixing table dancers and alcohol and was surprised it wasn't higher. I wonder what part of the nation these deaths are more common in, I already know about the snakes.

Ryder":1n5b379d said:
chrisy":1n5b379d said:
Judging from the other posts I don't think they are accepting you as the snake authority.
:D :D

Maybe you had better stick to spiders.
I don't claim to be any thing of the sort I'm no authority on snakes,
snake-1.gif
, and definately not on those other critters you talk of.
0060-0710-1213-0914.jpg

chris012.gif

angie":2plk85va said:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/health/snakebites-about-to-get-more-deadly

Heard about this on the radio the other day. Its apparently to folks in the south what we would call a big "to-do".
Good luck guys........

That doesn't sound too good at all. Its odd how the pharmies say they spend all this money on research to make new drugs yet they already have the science down on this and are not going to make anymore.

Coral snakes are bad extremely deadly but what I understand of them they have to mouth you in a soft area of your body such as the hand to invenomate you. I've only heard of two people being bitten by them and both of these were eco-freaks who who picked up and fondled the lovely snake in admiration of its beauty. Maybe phizer has seen the same trend and is taking the Darwinian approach to marketing.

Suzy Q,
It is actually against the law to kill a snake in the USA too. They are protected as well. But how often does anyone have a Game Warden walking behind them when they are around the cows or out in the pasture? Then that is when the snake haters commence to chopping and clubbing.

The only time you are allowed to kill a snake is if the snake is a deadly threat to you. It tells you how to get one out of your house if you find one. And it does not include killing it. The instructions are very detailed how to get a net or a waste basket and sweep it up. And this is for a Rattler. So, if that Game Warden that always catches you with his wife comes up, and you have killed a snake, you better have a good story of why you felt threatened, when you could have just walked away. You could tell him that you had sat down on the ground and fell asleep, when you woke up, the snake had swallowed half of your dog. You had to shoot him, or chop him up and you saved your dog's life. Or think of something more colorful.
Chuckie

Chuckie":ngnftqbb said:
Suzy Q,
It is actually against the law to kill a snake in the USA too. They are protected as well. But how often does anyone have a Game Warden walking behind them when they are around the cows or out in the pasture? Then that is when the snake haters commence to chopping and clubbing.

The only time you are allowed to kill a snake is if the snake is a deadly threat to you. It tells you how to get one out of your house if you find one. And it does not include killing it. The instructions are very detailed how to get a net or a waste basket and sweep it up. And this is for a Rattler. So, if that Game Warden that always catches you with his wife comes up, and you have killed a snake, you better have a good story of why you felt threatened, when you could have just walked away. You could tell him that you had sat down on the ground and fell asleep, when you woke up, the snake had swallowed half of your dog. You had to shoot him, or chop him up and you saved your dog's life. Or think of something more colorful.
Chuckie

'It's not against the law to kill Rattlesnakes in Colorado. We do, however, have a season on them.

Latest posts