I got bit by a snake today!!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

well the best of both got me on sunday...

I have enough copperheads show up in the barn that I am always on the lookout for them. Killed a copperhead that slithered under the bulls feet a couple of months ago as he was waiting for his evening ration.

I was worming and giving booster shots to some calves early sunday morning and watching my footing in the dimly lit barn.

All of a sudden the area where my neck meets my collar bone was on fire.

It felt like a wasp.....

I Smacked and clawed and brushed and ran all at one time.

I felt something crunch when I smacked. But I never saw it as I brushed it off while running.

I went back to look for the nest armed with a can of wd40 but could not find it. not even any wasps flying about.

Later in the day I realized my neck still hurt. Went and looked in the truck mirror and I had five big welps. It is tuesday morning and two of them still hurt. don't know what it was, but wasp stings don't stick with me that long. I am still breathing and functioning so I don't think it was anything much worse whatever it was.

Wasps got me on the back of the neck a week ago as I was helping a neighbor treat a sore foot. they were in a pipe at the top of the chute . WD40 cleaned them out.

just recently discovered that I Have a nest of bell hornets under the workbench in my toolshed.

pdfangus":1k2tryet said:
I felt something crunch when I smacked. But I never saw it as I brushed it off while running.

Sounds like those hateful little black bumblebees to me. Is there a lumber pile or a stack of straw nearby? They love to nest in lumber stacks and straw or hay bales.
They would crunch if you smacked them, in fact my vet swatted one out of the air. With a tobacco stick. I told him "if you can swat a bee out of the air with a tobacco stick you should try baseball."

My story was walking thru a door of a shed(with no other way out) . Turned around to leave and there are two copperheads hanging down from the top of the door way. They were in a romantic mood and in no hurry to leave. I sure as heck didn't want to disturb them(can you imagine a better way to make them mad:) ). Sat back in the corner and spent hours reviewing how the last 20 years of my life got me into this position, as I had nothing better to do.

Howdyjabo":3cz4jlgc said:
My story was walking thru a door of a shed(with no other way out) . Turned around to leave and there are two copperheads hanging down from the top of the door way. They were in a romantic mood and in no hurry to leave. I sure as heck didn't want to disturb them(can you imagine a better way to make them mad:) ). Sat back in the corner and spent hours reviewing how the last 20 years of my life got me into this position, as I had nothing better to do.
Now I wouild call that an "awkward situation".

3waycross":1q30uz98 said:
I take it you are now wearing a different pair of underwear. :help: :lol2:
I was in need of a new pair after I stepped on a copperhead........and a nuclear waste plant to dispose of the old ones....... :roll:

BC

My aussie, Rose got bit in the face by a copperhead about two years ago. she is a mouser and was plying her trade when she uncovered a copperhead. I heard her yelp and called her and as she came to me I coud see her face swelling.

I was afraid she would choke so loaded her in the car and headed for the emergency vet about thirty miles away.

they said that choking was exaclty the concern and treated her with antibiotics and gave me pills to give her to prevent infection as thy said that is what would cause the problems. cost a couple of hundred bucks but she was worth it.

she recovered fully but with so many around I seldom let her go to the barn with me any more. especially if I am busy and can not keep her from hunting. They said if she had been a smaller dog it quite possibly would have been fatal. Toby, our other aussie, is much smaller.

I found that one three days later and had to turn over a hundred gallon water trough but I got him.

there's alot of snakes around in Alabama right now.... my horse got bitten Sunday. Poor thing! Her leg was sooo swolen! It since has gone down. If you're from around here, have you ever seen any of those blue tail lizard skink things?? Are they poisonius? oh they are everywhere too!

Alan your thread has done jinxed me cause I almost got bit today! Thanks! :lol: Was trying to hook up the tedder when my son called me on the cell. I couldn't hear him over the tractor so I walked away into some tall grass and weeds bordering the hayfield. I was enjoying the conversation when all of the sudden a rattlesnake busted out to warn me I was too close. My son heard it on the phone and asked what the noise was and I told him I was on a rattlesnake. He suggested that I run. :shock: I wanted to but in what frigging direction the sound of a rattlesnake is not something so easily located especially once it stops. All I could do is stand there in my shorts and tennis shoes and wait till I got an idea of where he was. I looked and looked in the knee deep grass and weeds but never did see him so I opted to temporarly disable gravity while I did one of those gazelle high step moves back to the tractor.

I think everyone needs to knock on wood.

Jogeephus":1lgj83mi said:
Alan your thread has done jinxed me cause I almost got bit today! Thanks! :lol: Was trying to hook up the tedder when my son called me on the cell. I couldn't hear him over the tractor so I walked away into some tall grass and weeds bordering the hayfield. I was enjoying the conversation when all of the sudden a rattlesnake busted out to warn me I was too close. My son heard it on the phone and asked what the noise was and I told him I was on a rattlesnake. He suggested that I run. :shock: I wanted to but in what frigging direction the sound of a rattlesnake is not something so easily located especially once it stops. All I could do is stand there in my shorts and tennis shoes and wait till I got an idea of where he was. I looked and looked in the knee deep grass and weeds but never did see him so I opted to temporarly disable gravity while I did one of those gazelle high step moves back to the tractor.

I know what you mean Jogee, I saw a garter snake tonight while I was mowing grass, that sucker must have been 8 inches long, enough to scare me. I sent him to he!! just the same.

Larry

larryshoat":jzsoxtss said:
Jogeephus":jzsoxtss said:

I know what you mean Jogee, I saw a garter snake tonight while I was mowing grass, that sucker must have been 8 inches long, enough to scare me. I sent him to he!! just the same.

Larry

Larry you are on your own..... and no I did not scream like a little girl!... really

Jogeephus":gpmmyt0h said:

I saw Larry's post first, but all I worry about when I step off the tractor is there a hole I might spring my ankle on... you guys take care and be safe!

Alan

When I was about 8 or so I got the bright idea of stomping on bumblebees that were on some clover in the yard ( barefoot).
I figured if I jumped on and off real fast they couldn't sting me. I hardly ever wore shoes.
I saw a real big one out of the corner of my eye...I jumped on it, only it wasn't a bumblebee. It was a real big black snake next to a yellow dandelion flower.
I still remember the terror, 44 years later.

With rattlers,copperheads,cotton mouths,black widows,scorpions,wasps,bees,fire ants,wild hogs and illegal immigrants, life stays pretty interesting around here.I might also include meth heads and a neighbor.

Cal

danl":36xazgmr said:
When I was about 8 or so I got the bright idea of stomping on bumblebees that were on some clover in the yard ( barefoot).
I figured if I jumped on and off real fast they couldn't sting me.
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
Best I've heard all day.
I hardly ever wore shoes
.This day and time the social police would probably incarcerate our ma and pa for letting you out barefooted.

I saw a real big one out of the corner of my eye...I jumped on it, only it wasn't a bumblebee. It was a real big black snake next to a yellow dandelion flower.
It is commendable that you took time to admire the flowers in your time of terror.

I still remember the terror, 44 years later.

Jogeephus":27ymipzt said:

You know Joe, most tractors have an off switch.

When I was 14, a freshman in high school, I slipped on my dad's pair of boots to cut some firewood and a copperhead was in the right boot. Bit my second toe. Closest hospital 30 miles away, I think dad made it in about 15 minutes. Had to stay in the hospital a couple of days. They had to give me the anti-venom because the poison had circulated through my body by the time I got to the hospital.

I'll never forget the doctor turning his back in the emergency room and reading how to treat me. That was almost 30 years ago and I remember it like it was yesterday. It actually didn't hurt as bad as I thought. It felt like a really bad bumblebee sting - which still hurts like heck.

I'm so used to getting stung by wasps and bees when I got bit I actually just hopped into the house and calmly told my mom and dad that something in the boot had bit/stung me. My mom came out and turned the boot upside down and hit the back. Down dropped the copperhead, and mom let out a scream like I've never heard before (or still to this day). Dad made it out within a second or two, cut it in half with an axe, put the snake in a paper bag and off we went to the hospital. I remember being scared I was going to die, but dad has a way to talk to you that makes you feel like everything will be fine. Still feels like yesterday when that sucker bit me. It hurt a lot more when I saw it was a snake. :lol2:

hillbilly beef man":277vxaop said:
You know Joe, most tractors have an off switch.

If the tractor is working and has a turbo, you cannot just switch them off. My tractor I have to run at 2 minutes at 1600 RPM before reducing to idle and operating the kill switch.

Latest posts