I got bit by a snake today!!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
Just dumb look and me not looking. I grabbed a bale of old hay, I had to reach up about 7 ft to grab the string. I felt the bite as I pulled down the bale, when the bale came down the snake had a hold of my hand and was a bit wrap around my hand..... Okay, it was a 12 inch Gardner snake, they have no teeth and are harmless.... But it didn't do my heart any good. We have no poisenous snake in our part of the country, but it sure made me think about all you folks that live with the threat of venomous snakes and the seriousness of it.

My hats off to you guys :tiphat:
Alan

Here it is always in the back of your mind. You don't cut hay and jump off the tractor without looking for a clean spot because you know if you run a cutter over one he is really POed. You don't walk through raked hay and you don't pick up a hay bale by hand that has been laying for a few days with out kicking it first to see if something moves.

:lol2: :lol2: How high did you jump? Got bit in the face once by a black racer that was in a bucket on a shelf. Heard something in the bucket and looked into it and pop right in the face. I almost killed myself trying to get away from it even though he only scratched me. To this day I don't know what the snake was doing in the bucket but if it was a practical joke no one is talking. :lol2:

We have quite a few venomous snakes here and usually at least one person is bit each year. I lost a friend this year to a bite from a snake that got wrapped up in some mower belts. You just never know where you'll find one.

A guy got bite by a Cotton Mouth last week while checking levees in a rice field, the last i heard he was in critical condition. I live on Crowley Ridge and snakes (copper heads and rattlers) are bad to the bone here.

Hey, I didn't need to change my shorts or did I jump high! I'm a man and I took it like a man.... I didn't scream like an eight year old girl.... Really I didn't.... Really. When the neighbor that lives a half mile away came speeding into my place soon after I got bit I assured him that it may have been my wife or maybe a hog being butchered.... It was not me and had nothing to do with a snake.... If a snake ever came up in the future. I gave the neighbor fifty bucks just for his kindness about the well being of our area..... Nothing to do with the way my pants smelled.

Seriously, you guys that deal with venomous snakes.... I just can't imagine the caution you folks have to take.

Alan

Alan":27egcw7h said:
.... I didn't scream like an eight year old girl.... Alan

When I was just a kid I was gathering eggs out of the hen house. I could barely see over the sides of the nesting boxes standing on my tip toes, but I couldn't see the bottom of the boxes. I reached in one nest and grabbed a chicken snake that had just swallowed an egg. As soon as I grabbed him he rapped around my arm and I tried to run out from under him. I was through the gate and halfway to the house before I got him off my arm. My granddad killed the snake and asked who was that girl he heard screaming.

We were the only house for five miles and there wasn't anybody there but him and I, and I said she ran home. He laughed and never said nothing as far as I know about the screaming but he told the snake story several times.

We were the only house for five miles and there wasn't anybody there but him and I, and I said she ran home.[/quote]

Good answer.

3waycross":2t0fv96n said:
We were the only house for five miles and there wasn't anybody there but him and I, and I said she ran home.

Good answer.[/quote] :p i came home late one night and was rushing to feed the horses,, had no light in the old building and no flashlight at that time ,, just feeling my way around when a gopher ran up my leg i screamed like a 12 year old girl

Watch out for the wasps this time of year too! I opened the hood of an old car this morning........and gently shut it.......:) Not a good way to start a Monday had I been attacked by wasps!
Speaking of snakes........one of my men bought a house a couple of months ago. He pulled a sheet of paneling looking for a water leak. He noticed a snake skin. Pulled the next panel off and saw another one. He was standing there looking when behold a 5ft Rat snake fell on his shoulder and down between his legs! As he told the story I asked " What did you do then?!?" He looked at me funny and exclaimed " Well after I quite doing the shake and bake.........I followed him into the living room, saw no rattles, and grabbed him by the tail and begin swinging him toward the door...........out flung him into a tree! I think he had to change his drawers too!

I reached behind some fluffed up hay once to get a biscuit (flake) of hay. I just saw red go straight for my hand.

I don't remember screaming but you have never seen anyone pull their hand out quicker as in my mind it was a snake striking.

It turned out to be one of our hens and what I saw was her comb as she looked up to see who was on the other side of the hay.

PHEW!!!

I've got tons of snake stories but the most memorable thing to me is the feeling you have under your foot when you step right on a coiled snake. There is no other feeling in the world that can imitate this and I think this is the only time that the laws of physics do not apply concerning gravity and forward motion. You don't even have to look down to KNOW what you just stepped on. Still gives me the creeps just thinking about these situations.

Jogeephus":3gs92hgv said:
I've got tons of snake stories but the most memorable thing to me is the feeling you have under your foot when you step right on a coiled snake. There is no other feeling in the world that can imitate this and I think this is the only time that the laws of physics do not apply concerning gravity and forward motion. You don't even have to look down to KNOW what you just stepped on. Still gives me the creeps just thinking about these situations.
or like being chased by a cotton mouth those suckers can move....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMJdMSDTVqo&feature=fvw

Years ago I was at a rodeo in Eastern Washington where they have rattle snakes. Before the rodeo we killed a rattler behind the chutes. All the cowboys were there and watched. Well one of them came back a short while later with a bull snake he found in the parking lot. On the sly we put the bull snake into the rope bag of one of the bull riders. Pretty much everyone but him knew what was going on. When he went to get his bull rope you could tell everyone was trying to watch without being obvious. He reached into the bag and grabbed ahold of that snake. The look on his face was priceless. I think that bull snake is still orbiting the earth. It was all pretty entertaining.

Aside from some of them being poisonous, don't you think they really are amazing creatures?How they move, their muscle strength, their size, their skin patterns, etc...

GMN

Alan":187evubm said:
Just dumb look and me not looking. I grabbed a bale of old hay, I had to reach up about 7 ft to grab the string. I felt the bite as I pulled down the bale, when the bale came down the snake had a hold of my hand and was a bit wrap around my hand..... Okay, it was a 12 inch Gardner snake, they have no teeth and are harmless.... But it didn't do my heart any good. We have no poisenous snake in our part of the country, but it sure made me think about all you folks that live with the threat of venomous snakes and the seriousness of it.

Alan

Alan, they survive down there by being meaner than the snakes.
I always thought I might enjoy the climate and the life in S GA or Alabama or someplace down there where life doesn't involve home heating very often.
Turns out, everyone would live there if it wasn't for the snakes. I deal with the occasional blacksnake, ie rat snake. That is enough for me. I've seen one rattler in 60 years. We have copperheads, but rarely where I live. Never seen one in the wild. I am not eager to deal with 6 foot rattlers, or water moccasins. No way no how. I'm staying here, and Indiana Jones (a third cousin on my paternal Grandmother's line) agrees with me.
"Snakes, why did it have to be snakes".

Kingfisher":w5al0f0r said:
Watch out for the wasps this time of year too!

Yes indeed!

Opened up a gate yesterday and dang if my arm didn't sting like the blazes... right on the inside of where you bend your arm... still is hot and itchy today but man do I sleep good after taking a Benadryl... the back of the box says "may induce drowsiness", it should be corrected to say "induces coma-like condition within 20 minutes"

DavisBeefmasters":26dv12lo said:
Kingfisher":26dv12lo said:
Watch out for the wasps this time of year too!

Yes indeed!

Opened up a gate yesterday and dang if my arm didn't sting like the blazes... right on the inside of where you bend your arm... still is hot and itchy today but man do I sleep good after taking a Benadryl... the back of the box says "may induce drowsiness", it should be corrected to say "induces coma-like condition within 20 minutes"

Yes indeed! " induces coma like condition within 20 minutes" lol we must come from the same gene pool.......that stuff......well you know the feeling.

john250":14b11v1h said:
Alan":14b11v1h said:
Just dumb look and me not looking. I grabbed a bale of old hay, I had to reach up about 7 ft to grab the string. I felt the bite as I pulled down the bale, when the bale came down the snake had a hold of my hand and was a bit wrap around my hand..... Okay, it was a 12 inch Gardner snake, they have no teeth and are harmless.... But it didn't do my heart any good. We have no poisenous snake in our part of the country, but it sure made me think about all you folks that live with the
threat of venomous snakes and the seriousness of it.
Really nothinig to worry about. Chrisy :dunce: explained sometime back that they will not hurt you. Of course there are not a lot of snakes where she lives. Just those little spiders which would probably make nice pets if treated with kindness.

Alan

Alan, they survive down there by being meaner than the snakes.
I always thought I might enjoy the climate and the life in S GA or Alabama or someplace down there where life doesn't involve home heating very often.
Turns out, everyone would live there if it wasn't for the snakes.
You just made me realize that maybe snakes do serve a purpose.
I deal with the occasional blacksnake, ie rat snake. That is enough for me. I've seen one rattler in 60 years. We have copperheads, but rarely where I live. Never seen one in the wild. I am not eager to deal with 6 foot rattlers, or water moccasins. No way no how. I'm staying here, and Indiana Jones (a third cousin on my paternal Grandmother's line) agrees with me.
"Snakes, why did it have to be snakes".

Latest posts