I don't wanna be this backhoe operator

Help Support CattleToday:

3fifty7":1vd6xyh1 said:
Call before you dig :!:

Actually they did call, but they snagged the line by accident. I found out yesterday that the two killed were friends of the family (a man and his son). The backhoe operator was cleaning up after demolishing a building and snagged the line. While SaskEnergy was out there and marked lines, we don't know if the one that got snagged was marked or not. Jack and his son were trucking the debris way and waiting for the hoe operator to load them up when it blew.

What I find a little rediculous is that it took over 3 hours for SaskEnergy to find someone to shut down the gas line from the time that the snag was reported to the time it was actually shut down. If they'd actually had someone competent on staff in town, perhaps maybe the whole thing could have been avoided.

Rod

3fifty7":14xhazno said:
Call before you dig :!:

Personal experience has taught me that line locates are not and exact science. Even using a rule of no mechanical digging within 36' of a marked line, gas or telepone, is not always safe. Knowing where the line is supposed to be helps you be on the lookout for it.

One instance, we were drilling holes for light pole bases along a street. DigTest had marked all of the utility lines. Gas company had even taken a look and said everything was marked. First two holes were extremely close to the marked lines, third was farther away, fourth was past a 90 degree turn in the line and supposed to be clear of any utilities. WRONG! Hit a 1 1/2" gas line dead center. Took out a 20 pair or so phone line the phone company said was abandoned once also. Turned out they were wrong about that too. Funny how many abandoned lines you can find that aren't abandoned.

Latest posts