I almost became Batman!

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
I was putting out a bale of hay this afternoon .........while I was cutting the strings a bat wiggled out of the hay and tried to bite me......big ol fangs on that little thing. I whacked him with the knife handle and he fell to the ground but managed to get away before I could administer the coup de gras on him. Nasty critters but very good at catching skeeters.

HOSS":3l2etrn0 said:
I was putting out a bale of hay this afternoon .........while I was cutting the strings a bat wiggled out of the hay and tried to bite me......big ol fangs on that little thing. I whacked him with the knife handle and he fell to the ground but managed to get away before I could administer the coup de gras on him. Nasty critters but very good at catching skeeters.

Now the bat wasn't bothering anyone, just trying to stay warm and take a nap.
You come along knock him out of bed, he should have tried to bite you. :lol2:

I used to work on a ranch that had a pole-barn that would let you stack two dumps high and left about two feet in between the top bale and the rafters for a guy to crawl to whichever stack was being fed off of at that point in time. Since I was the young guy it was always my job to go up the ladder and dump bales to the truck.
The bats weren't that bad once you got used to it and would usually get by you but once the owls started coming out of there it can get nasty. They look pretty big when they're plastered to your face and you're on your belly. :lol:

In Australia bats can carry some pretty nasty diseases, two that come to mind are Lysa virus and Hendra virus. The Lysa virus you get from bites and scratches and around here the few people that have had it died. The Hendra virus, fruit bats pass it to horses where it is usually fatal, humans can get the virus when handling infected horses. About half the people that have had Hendra have died including two veterinarians that were called out to sick horses. A vaccine is now available for horses so everyone is hoping most horses will be vaccinated reducing the risk to handlers.
You probably don't have anything like that where you are but I would be carefull with bats, these diseases only showed up here in the last 20 years with devastating results.
Ken

HOSS":3fiiovqm said:
I was putting out a bale of hay this afternoon .........while I was cutting the strings a bat wiggled out of the hay and tried to bite me......big ol fangs on that little thing. I whacked him with the knife handle and he fell to the ground
Mancard punched again Hoss.

Latest posts