Almost over.

Help Support CattleToday:

Dropped from the upper 60's last week, mid 50's Sat and Sunday with temps dropping and we were down to 20 last night and only hit 40 today. Breezy and chilly. But we are going to warm a little to the 50's maybe. No snow for the holiday by the looks of it. We are still a little short of moisture, we have had little drizzly stuff when we could have used a good 1 inch steady slow rain. Middle of the state worse off....
Shortest day tomorrow and then the days get longer but it definitely gets colder for 60 days... and March has been such a toss up... agree that it has often comes in like a lamb and goes out like the Lion... and then we only seem to have 2 days of spring and it goes directly into summer.....last year it was chilly for a long time and then got hot and it was dry early for us too. Not as bad as out in the mid-south western areaswe were like 15-18 inches over normal rainfall the year before, then short this past year...

The weather guessers have us at 31 for a high and 18 for the low Christmas day. There is about a 40% chance of snow that day. The best chance of snow is Wednesday with 70%. There is a couple inches of snow on the ground on the north slopes but it is getting skimpy on the south facing areas.

Everyone around here old enough to remember compares every winter to '78. The pictures my grandma took showed the snow up to the cross members in the telephone poles. Several neighbors talk about having to use a D9 cat dozer to clear the roads.
The one I remember was Feb 15, 2011. 15" of snow, zero temp, and 50mph wind. I live 11/4 miles from the farm and it took me 2hrs with a 2wd drive loader tractor w/ an all weather cab to get to the farm. The drifts were above the rear 18.4-38 tires.
I was only four in 1978 so I don't remember it, but it was the big one here. My Uncle was coming home in his 18 wheeler when he got stuck around where my place is now. He decided to hoof it to my dad his brother's place which is a 1/2 a 1/4 from where he stopped. He had to follow the fence to not get lost, and his eyes were about froze shut by the time he got to dads. Every road on the county was drifted shut, it was a mess.

December 2004 was a doozy for us. Two 12" snows about six hours apart. I worked for the city of Albion, we went in around 5 AM and started plowing. Went home at 4PM. Came back in around 8:30 PM and plowed all night. Got done about daybreak, and went to a little town 4 miles east on our water system with one other man to fix a main break in around 10 degree weather. Thank God for the lady who lived there, she saved my life with coffee and fresh cookies.By the time I made it home and to bed, I was running on 40 hours of no sleep and her cookies. I was glad when that one was over.

I was only four in 1978 so I don't remember it, but it was the big one here. My Uncle was coming home in his 18 wheeler when he got stuck around where my place is now. He decided to hoof it to my dad his brother's place which is a 1/2 a 1/4 from where he stopped. He had to follow the fence to not get lost, and his eyes were about froze shut by the time he got to dads. Every road on the county was drifted shut, it was a mess.

December 2004 was a doozy for us. Two 12" snows about six hours apart. I worked for the city of Albion, we went in around 5 AM and started plowing. Went home at 4PM. Came back in around 8:30 PM and plowed all night. Got done about daybreak, and went to a little town 4 miles east on our water system with one other man to fix a main break in around 10 degree weather. Thank God for the lady who lived there, she saved my life with coffee and fresh cookies.By the time I made it home and to bed, I was running on 40 hours of no sleep and her cookies. I was glad when that one was over.
Do you ever plow up any bodies in the snow?

Ken