I’ve been doing some thinking......

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch said:
************* said:

Yes, that was before my time. It seems like it was only lip service, because our planet would not be so trashed up if even a small percentage of that had taken hold.
or could you imagine how much worse it would be if every city and small town still had trash burning daily at city dumps nationwide? To think that your grandparents and their parents were ignorant uncaring axxholes is probably wrong.

As for the profits comment, I'm not naive. I could care less if people make tons of money, what I have a problem with is telling the masses "cows are VERY BAD for the environment". I'm suggesting, why not say "people are as well"?

The fact that only 1/3 of the population can have meat probably supports my theory that there are too many people on planet Earth.
I'm just suggesting, to think the choice needs to come down to either cattle or genocide
could be the wrong solution.
Might be if ya do some more of your thinking, you might think of better options?

I never mentioned what you said above. The planet's population will only get bigger. Resources are finite, but I guess it will all work itself out some way, some how, right?

JMJ Farms said:
Nesikep said:
JMJ, yeah, i bungled half the math, but actually around here the $40K per cow is still low.. Ranch across the river from us handles about 80 head, you would be hard pressed to buy it for 4 million (CAD) which is 50K per cow

$50k/cow? That blows my mind. You need to sell out and relocate!
But it's nice here! We didn't have floods, we didn't have -40 for 3 months straight, there's something other than a flat horizon to look at...
I do wish I could hold a few more cows.

True Grit Farms said:
************* said:
W.B. said:
Branded, I agree with your whole post. Never thought I would say that. I will add that the anti-meat agenda is really about control. Control of ecnonomy, producers and consumers. They will stop at nothing to get their way.

I have no problem with Burger King offering a non meat burger. Just don't advertise it as saving the planet.

My thoughts exactly W.B.

Mark Zuckerberg claimed that Facebook was a way for all to connect and be "friends" That's total bullsh.t, it was a way to mine massive amounts of private information and sell it against our will.

The fake meat investors, those that are providing the seed funding to the startups see dollar signs, they think that with enough slick marketing, save the planet stories, and a few strategic placements such as Burger King that they can get traction and totally disrupt the cattle industry. I assure you that the top investors are FAR from carbon neutral on their footprint on society. Gulfstream V jets, Mclaren cars, and Feadship yachts are not exactly eco friendly, but most of the guys involved in Silicon Valley have at least one, if not all of those toys. Save the planet, my AZZ!

Unless, wheat and potatoes can be grown on concrete, they are going to take resources as well.

I will say it again, humans are the problem, not cows.

We are cancer to the earth

Careful Grit. You will upset some folks delicate sensibilities saying things like that :roll: ;-)

Branded, what you are speaking of is opportunity. Some folks never see opportunity, some folks wait around for opportunity and hope they recognize it when it appears( serendipitous at best) and a few folks(usually the very wealthy) create their own opportunities. Why should any of us be surprised if the beef industry as we know it was to be destroyed by a newer, fresher, technology driven approach? What has the beef industry done to be proactive in protecting itself? Mostly nothing. I sometimes wonder if this very board is a microcosmic representation of beef producers globally; mostly picking at each other over petty bullsh!t. No ability to unify and protect "the brand". I know face to face, most cattlemen and women i have met are some of the finest folks around, but at the end of the day, individual survival becomes the focal point...

Branded, you and I differ on your too many people theory. Don't worry though there are plenty that agree with you. Be careful as you age you might be on the list of unwanted.

One major problem lies in the fact that we have too man people that are willing to believe whatever they are told, instead of researching the facts for themselves. For example, cattle are destroying the atmosphere due to their digestive system. People buy that. However, you should see eyes light up when you remind them that before white man settled this continent, what covered the prairies in herds that spread as far as the eye can see? Bison, which have the exact same digestive system!

Green plants and ruminants are the most effective soil builders in all of creation. They are the key to "healing" the planet through building and retaining the soil, not the downfall.

All of our employees are vegetarians. Both cows and sheep.

I doubt that the packers will let this wipe out the beef industry. If beef goes, then hogs, then chickens, ...

No action needed by individuals - that's why we pay checkoff dollars!

bball said:
Branded, what you are speaking of is opportunity. Some folks never see opportunity, some folks wait around for opportunity and hope they recognize it when it appears( serendipitous at best) and a few folks(usually the very wealthy) create their own opportunities. Why should any of us be surprised if the beef industry as we know it was to be destroyed by a newer, fresher, technology driven approach? What has the beef industry done to be proactive in protecting itself? Mostly nothing. I sometimes wonder if this very board is a microcosmic representation of beef producers globally; mostly picking at each other over petty bullsh!t. No ability to unify and protect "the brand". I know face to face, most cattlemen and women i have met are some of the finest folks around, but at the end of the day, individual survival becomes the focal point...

BBall, thank you for your eloquent, well thought out response. I don't think it could have been said any better.

bball said:
Actually I'm hoping most of you drop out so that the value of my cattle skyrockets.. :hide:

Lazy M said:
bball said:
Actually I'm hoping most of you drop out so that the value of my cattle skyrockets.. :hide:

You don't need to hope. What you are wanting to happen is already underway, and at this point is a given.

And the reality of this is, for the few guys left standing, youre easy pickins. No power. The thing that has preserved us thus far is the volume all us small time operators churn out collectively. Keeps small town sale barns and meat processors running steady. We are already seeing more of those closing up shop as more and more small time cattle producers quit, retire, or die. At some point, critical mass will occur and the few guys left with cattle will have no where to take them. Especially as synthetic protein becomes mainstreamed.
I never understood the mentality of looking at other cattlemen as competition. They are my allies. Strength in numbers. The competition was pork, chicken, cheap protein sources and anyone anti beef industry..

This took a dark turn. I don't know of a big percentage of people around me moving away from animal protein do any of you? I'm not talking a couple of people you know but how many in a hundred? 2-3? How many people you know aren't grossed out by synthetic protein? Look around what's actually happening rather than what you're being told is happening. Read up on fake meat and they don't even know what it'll cost and people are already arguing it may not be any more efficient as far as carbon pollution is concerned because they aren't producing it on an industrial scale yet. Frankly I've never understood beef being the least environmentally friendly option for animal protein. Beef can be produced without grain if need be, eating grass that humans can't subsist on, on land that isn't suitable to grow vegetables or crops. Of the animal protein sources beef would have the easiest time adapting to a cleaner more natural system of production. Most cow/calf producers (around here anyway) already operate for the most part under a grass based system. Most of the talking head environmentalists aren't farmers - how do they plan to fertilize their edible bean/vegetable crops without animal manure? Synthetic fertilizer makes a lot of carbon pollution to manufacture. Ideals are fantastic until someone has to actually go hungry for them. As far as fear of people leaving the industry is concerned - a few left standing? Sounds like a monopoly or close to it - monopolies are strong not weak, they can dictate the price. Maybe not such a bad thing for people to consume less beef/animal protein per person if there's less producers, which can happen through retirements. An expensive traditional delicacy is a good product to be selling from my perspective. I think the reason we don't see a lot of action in the industry right now is the "threats" are by and large just talk right now, not much is actually happening and the machine is moving along. When change is needed it'll happen and beef is well positioned.

Latest posts