Hydraulic Oil in New Holland L785

Help Support CattleToday:

JHALL

Reaction score
Hey guys, have a New Holland L785 skid steer. It's developed a hydraulic oil leak and until I have a chance to find and fix the leak, was wondering if I can add a certain oil to the system to keep it full without any ill effects.

The book calls for a J20A spec oil which from what I understand is no longer a thing. We have some John Deere HyGuard which is J20C. Will this mesh with the oil that is in the system, assuming what is in there atleast meets the J20A specs?

Plan is to service everything on this machine over the winter but it's supposed to be working right now. Thanks for any help!

I run 30w motor oil in mine. The mechanic at the local dealership recommend it since it doesn't foam like hydraulic oil. This was almost 2000 hrs ago when I replaced the wheel seals. As you know that machine holds a lot of oil.

Not sure on an L785, but our LX885 calls out for 30W engine oil in the hydraulics, and pretty much everywhere.

Thanks for the replies guys. Would you advise against adding the HyGuard to what is currently in there? Thought about doing so to see if it worked so I could get by to finish putting hay up.

The leak looks like it's coming from underneath, it's not a line or anything up top, doesn't look like. Point being, it doesn't appear to be a simple fix.

J20C will be fine oil is normally backwards compatible, new spec oil will be compatible with previous spec oil.

JHALL said:
Thanks for the replies guys. Would you advise against adding the HyGuard to what is currently in there? Thought about doing so to see if it worked so I could get by to finish putting hay up.

The leak looks like it's coming from underneath, it's not a line or anything up top, doesn't look like. Point being, it doesn't appear to be a simple fix.
Check your wheel seals. It is very common for them to leak on those machines. You will see a wet spot on the bottom of the axle housing.

ohiosteve said:
JHALL said:

Check your wheel seals. It is very common for them to leak on those machines. You will see a wet spot on the bottom of the axle housing.

The wheel seal leaking comment would direct me to motor oil not hyd oil.....increased viscosity reduces opportunity to leak. Course hyd fluid has seal conditioners and motor oil doesn't as I know it. Yes 20c will outperform 20a and mix.....kinda of a heads I win, tails you loose sort of thing!

ohiosteve said:
JHALL said:

Two of the wheel seals leak on the outside of the wheel, it's developed a new leak that is coming from the drivetrain area. The skid plate is wet underneath the motor. Pretty sure it's not motor oil as the fluid has a clear tint to it (the oil is black). I haven't pulled the seat up to try to get a better look, not sure if there's a hydraulic line(s) that run across there.

JHALL said:
ohiosteve said:
JHALL said:

Two of the wheel seals leak on the outside of the wheel, it's developed a new leak that is coming from the drivetrain area. The skid plate is wet underneath the motor. Pretty sure it's not motor oil as the fluid has a clear tint to it (the oil is black). I haven't pulled the seat up to try to get a better look, not sure if there's a hydraulic line(s) that run across there.

Microscopic metallic particles, (<20 microns for a number) will turn the oil black. Wheel bearings are a good example...you put in clear/color hued grease and come back later to find black grease!

Latest posts