Hydraulic cylinder goes up but not down

Help Support CattleToday:

nocows

Reaction score
I have a hydraulic cylinder on a disc that gives me fits it will always go up just fine, coming down is problematic. Sometimes it works just fine but most of the time I have to barley hit the lever so it will manually let itself down. If I try to retract it with the tractor it hangs up and doesn't go.

I've had it hooked up to different tractors and it acts the same, I called a local guy that rebuild cylinders to have him work on it and he told me that's probably not the issue. The pioneer fittings are only a few years old I took them off last night made sure everything was free and clear, I took the lines off at the cylinder everything looked ok, one of the hoses is fairly new the other seems to be alright.

I was thinking about buying new fittings anyway at least for the side that retracts but I hate to replace things that don't need replaced. Anybody have any ideas?

**Not my cylinder just an example** it's a JD 30 76 cylinder

I'd check the quick couplers first, they can be really finicky, and some styles that look compatible don't actually always play nice together.. I have the same problem on my MF165 when I have the haybine on it.

I once had a similar thing that stumped me. Turned out one hose had collapsed inside and was acting like a one way valve. It took a while to figure out as the hose was only a few years old and hadn't done a lot of work so was pretty much the very very last thing i looked at.

I changed the ends out last night put on poppet pioneer valves instead of the ball valve type didn't seem to help anything, I finally decided to take the cylinder off was going to have the shop go through it anyway. I took it off the disc but left it hooked up to the tractor placed it on the ground and just started cycling it back and forth. Never acted up so I decided to put it back on the disc. With it back on the disc I cycled it several times with no issues......... So far it's been working as it should I am sure when I go to use the disc it will start acting up again.

Guess we will see if it acts up again I plan to use it this afternoon.

Redgully said:
I once had a similar thing that stumped me. Turned out one hose had collapsed inside and was acting like a one way valve. It took a while to figure out as the hose was only a few years old and hadn't done a lot of work so was pretty much the very very last thing i looked at.

I almost bought replacement hoses yesterday but talked myself out of it, I also thought about switching the lines on the cylinder itself, because it's only a problem when trying to retract the cylinder. I'll mess with it some more I am sure the end result will be a rebuilt cylinder with two new hoses :bang:

I would buy a new tie rod cylinder in the correct stroke 3 to 4 inch cylinder and toss that John Deere Cylinder.

Nesikep said:
it shouldn't be too hard to take the cylinder off and take it apart yourself.. no rocket science there

Yup, in about 10 minutes a feller could either diagnose the problem or eliminate a major one off the list for sure.

nocows said:
I changed the ends out last night put on poppet pioneer valves instead of the ball valve type didn't seem to help anything, I finally decided to take the cylinder off was going to have the shop go through it anyway. I took it off the disc but left it hooked up to the tractor placed it on the ground and just started cycling it back and forth. Never acted up so I decided to put it back on the disc. With it back on the disc I cycled it several times with no issues......... So far it's been working as it should I am sure when I go to use the disc it will start acting up again.

Guess we will see if it acts up again I plan to use it this afternoon.
So maybe something on the disc hanging up?

Some tractors have an adjustment that lets you use a single acting cylinder. My Ford tractors have a screw that you adjust out when using the single acting cylinder and screw in when using a double acting cylinder.

nocows said:
I have a hydraulic cylinder on a disc that gives me fits it will always go up just fine, coming down is problematic. Sometimes it works just fine but most of the time I have to barley hit the lever so it will manually let itself down. If I try to retract it with the tractor it hangs up and doesn't go.

I've had it hooked up to different tractors and it acts the same, I called a local guy that rebuild cylinders to have him work on it and he told me that's probably not the issue. The pioneer fittings are only a few years old I took them off last night made sure everything was free and clear, I took the lines off at the cylinder everything looked ok, one of the hoses is fairly new the other seems to be alright.

I was thinking about buying new fittings anyway at least for the side that retracts but I hate to replace things that don't need replaced. Anybody have any ideas?

Did you get the cylinder problem solved and if so what did you do.

hurleyjd said:
nocows said:

Did you get the cylinder problem solved and if so what did you do.

Never did figure out exactly what was going on,I did replace the pioneer fittings and it was still acting up. The most frustrating thing was it was intermittent it wouldn't do it all the time, leads me to believe one of the hoses was collapsing internally.

I was able to get done what I needed with it at the time but I'll need it again here soon so I will have to revisit the issue. If I get it figured out I will update this post.

I have the same problem with my massey tractors connected to the haybines... both tractors did it with the old one, and I've only tested the new haybine with one tractor but it does it as well.. annoying!

Latest posts