Huntsville, AL area

Help Support CattleToday:

circlew

Reaction score
My wife is up for a big promotion that would require us to move to Huntsville. If and that's a big if, we would like to live outside of Huntsville and buy some land so we could keep on fooling with cows. I have a couple of questions for the folks from around this area.

1. What is the crime rate?
2. What is the cost of living?
3. What are the average land prices(acre wise)?
4. I've been told I wouldn't be able to bring my cows up there. The fescue would get them. Any thoughts on this?
:help:

Huntsville is a nice area. Not a high crime rate.
Land prices can be kind of high. The farther out you move the more affordable they become. There is a lot of Ag in the surrounding areas. Nice fertile land.
Fescue should not be any more of a problem than any other part of the state.

Tim/South said:
Land prices can be kind of high. The farther out you move the more affordable they become. There is a lot of Ag in the surrounding areas. Nice fertile land.
Fescue should not be any more of a problem than any other part of the state.[/quote] fescue aint problem if the cattle are adapted to it.... im less then 20 miles from Huntsville the city limits sign is less then ten now from development ,, any property in this area is way over priced because of situations like yours, good paying jobs to be had here and the folks are swimming in money and will pay top dollar for it, but dont epect to get any within decent driving limits to work..... now for country boys like you and me you will hate town. and it exactly the reason i drive 50 mile in the opposite direction to work... hope ive not been to depressing with my honesty :cowboy:

TennesseeTuxedo":3jkac3g5 said:
You'd really hate it up here then AC. Lots of folks.... always in your business.
ive worked and even lived in Huntsville after i first married,,, to many rude move ins there now for this neanderthal.. i go there to eat, they do have great resturants,,, as for shopping walmart and tractor supply suits my every need :cowboy:

TennesseeTuxedo":28pya6ua said:
"as for shopping walmart and tractor supply suits my every need"

Throw in Bass Pro Shops and we might just be twins separated at birth.
Gander mountain here...great place to dream ............to pricey

ALACOWMAN":3u8xe3c7 said:
Tim/South":3u8xe3c7 said:
Fescue should not be any more of a problem than any other part of the state.[/quote] fescue aint problem if the cattle are adapted to it.... im less then 20 miles from Huntsville the city limits sign is less then ten now from development ,, any property in this area is way over priced because of situations like yours, good paying jobs to be had here and the folks are swimming in money and will pay top dollar for it, but dont epect to get any within decent driving limits to work..... now for country boys like you and me you will hate town. and it exactly the reason i drive 50 mile in the opposite direction to work... hope ive not been to depressing with my honesty :cowboy:

Thanks that is what I was looking for. Anything we buy will be at least 30 mins south. I told her I would go if she got the job but we r having cows and we are gonna live on the farm. None of this living in town and cows being 45 mins away.

Arab, has plenty of beautiful farmland and where the stockyard i use is... good folks and friendly... once you see the mountains and lakes here, your hooked....

Hey Alacowman.................who owns that mansion at the northern edge of Arab right there on the east side of 231? It is a big horse farm. I go down that way quite a bit and that house and farm is IMPRESSIVE :shock: The house looks to be 30,000 sq. feet.

Arab is a nice area......very pretty and it looks like good cow country.

ALACOWMAN":3d3ingvg said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3d3ingvg said:

I didn't think there was anybody pricier than Bass Pro. Around here Sportsmans Wharehouse is the only reasonable Sporting Goods.

HOSS":7j7zdlor said:
Hey Alacowman.................who owns that mansion at the northern edge of Arab right there on the east side of 231? It is a big horse farm. I go down that way quite a bit and that house and farm is IMPRESSIVE :shock: The house looks to be 30,000 sq. feet.

Arab is a nice area......very pretty and it looks like good cow country.
id say its Joe Claytons he own the chevy dealership there, and a walking horse man

3waycross":2x7ixs5f said:
ALACOWMAN":2x7ixs5f said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2x7ixs5f said:

I didn't think there was anybody pricier than Bass Pro. Around here Sportsmans Wharehouse is the only reasonable Sporting Goods.
Could be,, i only been too one... a grandopening in Lawrenceville Ga.

I don't think you would want to limit yourself to just south of Huntsville. Tenn is only a few miles north and that is some pretty country as well as the Alabama country side. hwy 122 north of New Market is some nice country and several livestock farms. Like the other guy said about 30 to 50 miles out of the city might work. May wish to drive around/circle the area as AL and TN are ag country. Good luck.

in the 80's i looked at farms in franklin and Giles co.. you could buy a 100+ acre farms complete with farm houses and barns outbuldings for 70K some less there was one place with an old brick mansion on it could have bought for 90K this is fact.............. no difference in price than here now since alot of those folks work in Huntsville

Phil in Tupelo":1ni9tf17 said:
I don't think you would want to limit yourself to just south of Huntsville. Tenn is only a few miles north and that is some pretty country as well as the Alabama country side. hwy 122 north of New Market is some nice country and several livestock farms. Like the other guy said about 30 to 50 miles out of the city might work. May wish to drive around/circle the area as AL and TN are ag country. Good luck.

We want to stay south of Huntsville because our folks would be 4 hours south. We want to stay as close as we can.

Latest posts