Your area +s & -s

Help Support CattleToday:

Holton IN was founded arounded a sawmill making RR ties for the Baltimore and Ohio westward expansion. The land is flat as your pool table and installing drain tile is a big industry, as are hogs and corn. Some of the Amish raise tobacco. A tornado came thru a few years ago and damages approached $50. CSX (succesor to the B&O) still runs through my backyard. Someone East of me has ordered a lot of pipe. 60 degrees today, 20 on Thursday.

Caustic Burno":2sdkyckh said:
TB I think it's Tx 164 that goes through the Groesbeck area
Oh yeah...goes thru Mart, Grosbeck, Doni, Buffalo. That is a pretty ride. Big lignite mine and a power plant over that way. Been several years since I've drove through there. I sat on the side of the road and watched that big a$$ shovel digging the overburden off that lignite for an hour one day.....amazing !!!

Grew up in Huntsville AL and glad to be gone.

Live in Lewisburg Tn which is a small industrial area depending on the automotive industry. The farm is in Petersburg which used to be a railroad town.

Pluses are cost of land and electricity, low population and I like the people way better than Huntsville. Quality of life is good.

Minuses are all the friggin rocks! More limestone than you can imagine.

Lived in a couple of small towns in NW WI my whole life. Our area is changing in a lot of ways. Some small towns are becoming suburbs of the twin cities (one hour away). Others are just kind of staying in the same groove. The little town nearest to me has everything one really needs (hardware store, grocery store, bars, factories, good school and still is under 1500 people), which is fine since it is the better part of an hour to the nearest WalMart.

The Ag industry is changing too. We used to have hundreds of small family dairy farms in this area. Now there are few left. Most have gone to renting the land out for crops, raising beef or sheep, expanding their edible crops to meet the yuppy demand for farmers markets, or having poultry barns. We also grow rocks...lots and lots of rocks!

One of the biggest changes is the recent influx of Amish to our area. They are buying up anything they can, including stuff that wasn't even listed. Great for sellers, since it is driving up land prices. Not so good for buyers, since stuff is sold before anyone even knows it was for sale. They do seem to help keep things rural and promote the small business atmosphere of our town.

Drugs are a major problem in our area. At one time, our 4 county area had more horses and more meth use per capita than any other part of the US. Horse population has decreased with shipping to Mexico, drugs have increased with shipping from Mexico!

I'm on Crowley's too. Right on top, half a mile from the bottom ground on the east side of it. We have twenty acres of woods that's actually on the east slope of the ridge. Plenty of deer around, some turkeys too. Bottom ground W and NW of me 10-15 miles is the old river channel I'm told. MS River ran over that way a few years ago and left some beautiful bottom ground hardwoods.

Ground around me is selling in the range from 2500-4500/acre for hill ground. The farmable, and sure enough bottom farm ground is quite a bit higher, up to 10k I hear not long ago.

Clay hill ground, in fact there is a kitty litter/floor dry plant within a few miles of me, no rocks hardly to speak of. I think I could take you to an outcropping but it would be a good hike and over on the neighbor. We do have gravel in the creeks.

Ag is king in this area, and banking it seems. Bank on every corner in town. I don't know when that began, but they are here now. A town close by just had a sonic close I suppose to a lack of business, and the town has at least two banks I can recall.

Mostly small cattlemen, and large row croppers in my county. There is an outlier owner of cattle here with over 1,000 momma's but I hear tell he's letting his nephews run his tax write-off, and they are doing a fine job of it.

Little towns are long dried up mostly. Every once in a while someone will try to open a little café or something, hobby shop, "antiques", etc

I like it here, raised here, my people are here. The thought of living in Denver area appealed to me after living there while in the Army a couple of years, buy the pull of family here brought me back home.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripley_County,_Indiana

I'm in Holton. The town was founded around a sawmill, making ties for the B&O railroad. CSX now. Indiana was covered with hardwood, not those miserable pines. Oaks, Hickory, Poplar etc. Installing drain tile is a significant occupation The population is German descended with a smattering of Kentuckians (Scots-Irish)

john250":1wmj0hyw said:

I'm in Holton. The town was founded around a sawmill, making ties for the B&O railroad. CSX now. Indiana was covered with hardwood, not those miserable pines. Oaks, Hickory, Poplar etc. Installing drain tile is a significant occupation The population is German descended with a smattering of Kentuckians (Scots-Irish)
In 2016 75% voted , 70% Trump,

in

john250":1ajc366s said:
john250":1ajc366s said:

In 2016 75% voted , 70% Trump

Now that's what I consider a positive! :nod: :lol2:

Latest posts