Hummingbird feeder and Wasps

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
We have Hummingbird feeders that used to attract lots of Hummingbirds. But now the Wasps have taken over--how can we get rid of the Wasps without getting rid of the Hummingbirds? :???:

TB that feeder sounds perfect, you try it first and let me know if it actually works. ;-)

The price is a little steep . :shock: I would be willing to put a few up though as we luv the birds and even though I have tons of flowers they still like the feeders.

I have a problem with bees the most, I hate that they get in there and try to rescue them if at all possible. As far as controlling contaminated feed I just try to empty them out and refill as often possible. The worst feeders here for bees and ants if the Oriole feeders . The year of the drought we had wasps so bad that I had to take down my feeders .

Have you tried putting out feeders elsewhere just for the wasps ?

GA my hummers leave if there are wasps near the feeder.

Don't hummingbird feeders have a tube an inch or so long leading into the sugar water that the birds can stick their bills into but insects can't?

tncattle":34p2xxzj said:
We have Hummingbird feeders that used to attract lots of Hummingbirds. But now the Wasps have taken over--how can we get rid of the Wasps without getting rid of the Hummingbirds? :???:

You could put up keep out signs for wasps. Prolly do as good as putting no hunting signs on your fence.

Cal

Take a two litre (US maybe 1/2 gallon) pop bottle fill about 2-3 inches with sugar water and vinegar solution. Not alot of vingear. Take wire and tie it around the neck of the bottle and hang it near but not close to the hummer feeder. Wasps go in but do not come out. In a few days, clean dead wasps and refill.
I think my mother in law has used dish soap instead of vinegar. Not sure on the results. You will trap flys, wasps and even the odd hornets.
The neck of the bottle will not let them get back out.

Best of luck

rockridgecattle":3g82rbpk said:
Take a two litre (US maybe 1/2 gallon) pop bottle fill about 2-3 inches with sugar water and vinegar solution. Not alot of vingear. Take wire and tie it around the neck of the bottle and hang it near but not close to the hummer feeder. Wasps go in but do not come out. In a few days, clean dead wasps and refill.
I think my mother in law has used dish soap instead of vinegar. Not sure on the results. You will trap flys, wasps and even the odd hornets.
The neck of the bottle will not let them get back out.

Best of luck

Forgot that one, yes it does work well ,thanks for the reminder RR. :tiphat:

I bought a yellow jacket trap at the hardware store last year and hung it near a yellow jacket nest that I had gotten into. I caught eight, maybe nine.

Latest posts