War has come, against red wasps.

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
I hate the red devils. Mean, fast and mobile. Sherman and Rommel had nothing compared to their capacity.

(sigh.. )
For years, I had a garden immediately beside my cowpen, with a 12' gate leading from cowpen into the garden. Rabbits and crows became a problem, and someone told me (erroneously) that one of those plastic owls mounted up high would keep both away from my vegetables. The one I got, had a round hole in the bottom, so I mounted it on a 1 1/2 x 1 1/2" square stick and a cross member to make it look like it was sitting on a perch (or as my wife said, sitting up there with a stick up his rectum.)
You can see it here, above the stock trailer, with the stick screwed to where a gate latches.

waspsowl2.jpg

It did no good, as one day when my melons were nearly ripe, there were 2 crows sittin on the perch alongside their new friend Hooty, waiting to swoop down and start pecking while another bunch were already busy on the sweet corn. I quit the garden a couple of 3 years ago but the owl remained. The big problem was, that every year, a band of the red marauders would build a nest up inside the owl, and as it gets hot here a large portion of the wasps congregated on that vertical stick near the entrance hole to buzz their wings to provide ventilation to the rest of the colony and the nest. Every time I went to open that gate, or even went by the post in the now defunct garden to mow or use the weed eater, the winged hellions would attack me. I had tried unsuccessfully this summer, to mount counterattacks with wasp spray, but could never get enough of it up in Hooty's ass to kill them all. (Gravity was not my friend) After my 2nd failed chemical assault on them, I had enough. I knew to wait until the cover of darkness meant the long range reconnaissance patrols and airborne raiders had returned to their HQ to debrief and rest up for the next mornings sorties, so I found an old floor mop, tied it's strings up with wire into a ball and poured some diesel on it. I ignited it, walked up and held the flaming ball up below the hole and did see a lot fall out, wings singed but the diesel soaked mop strings quickly began to fall off and onto the creosoted cross tie the fence post was made of. Not wanting to have to dig another 4' posthole, I quickly extinguished the post fire with the water hose from a nearby cow trough. We (myself and the wasps) each retired from the field of battle for the night, but the next afternoon revealed I had done little damage. A draw at best. A good sized group was already on the upright stick fanning their wings, waiting for orders and a target to materialize.
After night fell, I decide that since I couldn't penetrate their owl shaped bunker, I would call in a fire mission. 3-4 quick rounds of 7 1/2 20ga from 15 ft and it was over. 900 bbs in a couple of seconds was pure carnage on the receiving end. They never knew what hit 'em.
Victorious at last, I picked up the empty shells and felt the deep satisfaction that such a complete mission warrants.

waspsowl.jpg

I often sit on the small back porch in the mornings, on a 3' wooden stepladder that is no longer safe to climb on, and drink my first couple cups of coffee, contemplating what (if anything) I will do for the day. (Retirement and 7 decades has it's perks) As the porch is small, the ladder sits right next to one of the railings. I happened to bend out over the rail, look up a few days after the destruction of the owl, and this is what I saw just 4' above my head.

wasps.jpg

Back to the dollar store armory for more chemical, as shotshell was out of the question at that location. I knew there was another nest on the front porch eave, but it was down on one end and not bothersome, but I intended to get both the same time.
Rain came so I waited a few days and then found the front porch nest had mysteriously fallen to the ground. The wasps tho, in very large numbers were still congregated where the nest had been a few days prior. All the cells on the fallen nest were open, so I assumed the new brood had emerged and joined the colony for a big meet and greet at the old home place. A pretty tight group, so I was sure I could get most if not all of them in one fell swope.
I waited for dark again.

I used my led headlight, but as I walked around the side of the front porch, the wasps were gone. Every single one.
To the back I went, and sprayed the whole can and killed them from 17' below. They fell in spiral fashion onto the railing and on to God's good Earth.
waspsbackporch1.jpg

Next morning, tho you can't see it here, I noticed there were also dozens of maggoty looking larvae laying around too. The chemical in the spray had dissolved many of the cell caps and out they fell. (Gravity not so bad after all)
waspsdead.jpg

I sprayed some in my barn last week and one shot out of the nest and stung me right on top my knuckle right above my middle finger. It happened lightning fast. Dang that hurt. The last act of defiance I guess.

Got in some ground hornets (not yellow jackets), actual hornets this week bushhogging. I was on an open station tractor and managed to get away. Called my son to bring te truck and tennis ball. I wanted to toss it out to mark the hole. 50 hornets followed the truck for over a mile. When I reached the highway, I lead them away from my house, and turned and came back. I suspicion that encounter had deadly potential.

I use a chemical called Demand CS and I spray my house like I was painting it with the stuff and I don't get spiders/wasps/dirt dobbers...etc it works for about a year and I do it again. It's odorless and colorless when it dry's. I use it everywhere on my place. bushes, flower beds my tractor, lawn mower, boats. It works, wouldn't go without it!

You would think after that, I would be granted some R&R but last weekend, as I was getting ready to grill some pork chops and sausage, I learned the hard way that a colony had infiltrated my old BBQ grill. I opened it up and out they came. A man can kill from sun to sun but his and the (red)devil's work is never done. They were fairly easy to deal with. I closed the lid with along stick, waited for evening to come and squirted charcoal lighter mixed with a few ounces of 89 octane gasoline into the crack around the lid and threw a match at it. Home-made napalm. Immolated to the last wasp.
waspsbbqd.jpg

I had wondered, what happened to the cluster of wasps that were under the eave of the front porch and yesterday morning, I found out.
The nest and then nestless cluster were located here, but they mysteriously had 'flown the coop' so to speak.
waspsfrtporch2.jpg

Sometime between the time the nest fell and yesterday, they had congregated elsewhere.
I had walked by them numerous times and never noticed but as I sat on a bench, I saw something dark above the hummingbird feeder. I thought at first it might be one of the big frog eating moths that local folklore here speaks of but a closer inspection showed it was indeed the missing wasps.

waspsfrtporch.jpg
The picture I took today shows some of them have climbed down the chain and are now on the feeder as well.
waspsfeeder2.jpg

They are not aggressive. I have been very close to them and none have ever flown out off their cluster, and I have seen only a couple even move. Haven't decided how to deal with them yet, but deal with them I shall.

Looking into it, I have learned that once a colony has hatched it's young, they will not make a 2nd brood the same year and will often chew the stem of the old nest to get rid of it to prevent another colony from taking it over. The cluster above is known as a pre-hibernation cluster. They are not aggressive because they have nothing to protect. No nest, no brood. As it gets cold tho, they will move off to somewhere that offers protection from the cold. They are all "bred heifers" if you wish. Bred females, foundresses, each capable of founding their own nest. I've seen red wasps in hibernation before, usually under the loose bark of a pine stump. I pushed up some stumps like that off an old fenceline a few years ago in deep February when it was very cold and the inert but still alive wasps just tumbled out on to the ground. Didn't even try to fly.

Common sense should have told you a couple things. First a rabbit or crow is gonna figure out that owl is counterfeit.
Second the shotgun used on the rabbits and crows in the first place would have prevented this entire "cartoon" ( I'm sure that's what it resembled)............ https://images.app.goo.gl/mDZW7XS9b2MscQg69
:)
Yes but I couldn't stay up all night like the throng of rabbits do here and since I abandoned the garden around 2013 (it stayed too muddy most years) I didn't care what went in that area.
Killing crows around here is an exercise in futility. There are hundreds as the main murder (large flock) nests in the national forest near here, there's no way to keep them at bay.

I'll say one thing, greybeard. You are dedicated.
Glad you got them and thanks for sharing your story. I laughed out loud.
You have a gift for writing humorously.

Can you point me to the turtle thread?
any fish that can't outswim a turtle deserves to die.

Having said that, I had a huge population of all kinds of turtles in my pond about 10 years ago. They ate up almost all the fish food I supplied for the catfish (that high protein feed is not cheap) and you couldn't fish for all the bait you would lose to the shellbacks. One day, I had enough of it, and went down that evening late with a headlamp, shotgun and rifle and plenty of ammo, threw out some catfish pellets and The Great Turtle Massacre began. They were scampering to get out of the water and into the reeds, some swimming in little circles because they had a leg missing on one side.
El Degguelo should have been playing in the background. I was merciless & showed them no quarter. Big ones, little ones, the old and young alike. Death from above.
Some sank, some floated but 2 days later, they were all afloat and the smell of death and decay was deep and strong as I rowed around dipping them out with my net, as the catfish applauded silently in their aquatic underworld.

I'll say one thing, greybeard. You are dedicated.
Glad you got them and thanks for sharing your story. I laughed out loud.
You have a gift for writing humorously.
Persistence is the word. Reminds me of one of my favorite morning wake up reads. Goes good with coffee while I wake the rooster.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."----Teddy Roosevelt

Persistence is the word. Reminds me of one of my favorite morning wake up reads. Goes good with coffee while I wake the rooster.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."----Teddy Roosevelt
Been a long time since I read that from TR. Thanks for reminding me.

A couple years ago I was cleaning the trash out of a feed bin preparing for a new shipment. Had the truck parked under, opened up the gate, and started beating on the side. Probably a dozen angry red wasps answered, but only one got me. Came back with a can of raid, the pitter patter of their bodies hitting the truck bed was satisfying.

I had a side job yesterday, reviving a Ford 601 that had been sitting a couple years. Cleaned the points, drained the carb/sediment bowl, new plug wires, cranked right up like it had only been an afternoon. Turns out there was a nest under the grille by the radiator cap. They weren't happy about the racket. I escaped that one and came back with a can of ether.

I am normally pretty "live and let live" about most things, but not wasps.

Latest posts