how would you....

Help Support CattleToday:

blacklabel

Reaction score
How would you do things different if you were to start over from scratch?

Cow/calf operation?
Backgrounding?
Rent vs buy?
Borrow more or less?

Lots of directions to take this and would be curious to see all.

Thanks.

I'd go to work for one of the big ranches that provide housing, pickup, beef and let them take care of everything else and I'd take care of the cows

I have a friend who runs a ranch bring this up to me also.

He said, I make the decisions, Doc writes the check. No payments just a paycheck, and still call the shots.

It has crossed my mind. Not to much of them big outfits here in MO. Dont think my wife would move to far.

Definitely buy a welding machine much earlier. Probably buy a few places I passed on before land prices went high. One of them anyway.

Swore I'd never own a cow. Probably take that back versus eating crow.

Mostly, I would have returned "home" right after I got done with my 4 yrs in USMC and started much earlier on my own instead of just working with/for my father several months out of the year.

Or bought in Burleson County in mid 80s instead of the property I am on now.

I should of bought more land when it was cheap. And I wish I would of sold my last piece of property in FL. 8 years ago. Sure would like to be able to work like I did 20 years ago. The circle of life is crazy, I quit ranching to go fishing, and now I've about quit fishing to start ranching and hunting again. So far life's been great, we've truly been blessed.

Thanks for the input ...

Struggling with what to do. Keep driving a while so I can keep saying Im gonna save some money for a down payment.

Or

Go to work for a big outfit, save what I can and maybe buy a place.

I know thats a whole differnt topic though.

Well i don't have as much life to go back over as some, but so far i can say this, I think it would be very hard atleast starting out to go all cow/calf, it is the way to go but i think it's best to background as many calves as posible along with the cow/calf operation. I don't care how stable of a lease you can get i don't ever want to have to rely on rented land for my cattle, but i would never pass up renting more land either, as long as i could fill atleast half of it and make it work out money wise. If you borrow more or less means money, i sure wouldn't have anything without borrowing, i can't agree with anyone who says you should never borrow money, sometimes the bank will give out more than you need but i just watch that and do okay. I also really recommend dealing with a good small local bank over the FSA. Another thing i will add that you didn't ask but is a personal choice i have been happy with, is baling my own hay, we started out buying hay then having it baled, but investing in equipment and doing it myself has been a good move for, but it was hard taking that money that could have bought more cattle to buy the equipment.

blacklabel":21p38bay said:
Thanks for the input ...

Struggling with what to do. Keep driving a while so I can keep saying Im gonna save some money for a down payment.

Or

Go to work for a big outfit, save what I can and maybe buy a place.

I know thats a whole differnt topic though.

I grew up on the several big ranches working 7 days a week in the heat and the cold and never saw my family with enough money to ever do much.
I decided long ago that wasn't going to work for me. I was going work smart, not hard and make some money so I didn't have to work like my dad did.
I see now I am working twiced as hard at a job I'm not suited for so I could make enough money to do exactly what I was running from
If I had do again I'd hire on with one of the big ranches, save my money and when I was ready to retire I'd buy me a little place and sit in the shade and watch the cows graze.

Blacklabel, life is short you might as well be happy. I think times are tuff in this day and age. At one time land was a real asset and once you got one piece paid off you had it made. It's hard to get a loan from the banks since the B.O. bailouts.

Another thing i have always said is, i would rather work for myself 18 hours a day working cows, baling hay, fixing fence, picking rocks, or anything else farm related in any weather and make the same money, as to work for someone else 40 hours a week and be done. I have alot of good freinds that took that road and are now 70+ years old and i don't know one that would change anything.

Keep them coming folks..

Denver Im with ya there. Time working on a farm was never really "work". If that makes sense.

Now driving this rig all over the nation may be easier work that pays better sure isnt where Id rather be.

Hard to start from nothing, and to be successful.

Started using high tensile earlier.

Probably should've educated myself before I bought land and cows. I learned from my dad but the business has some real differences now.

denvermartinfarms you mentioned backgrounding as many calves as possible while growing your cow/calf op. I am a beginner in that position now but doesnt backgrounding calves require a skill set I wouldnt posses as a beginner? I.E. good eye at sale barn, doctoring etc.? It makes me nervous but I have a lot of grass that nothing is eating it seems dumb not to turn that into profit. This is a great thread for beginners btw guys!

I would have married a rich woman.

seriously- Instead of taking the advice from my uncle and G'Pa I would have started Farming out of high school. I probally would not have as much as I do now but I would have done what I Loved. while I do not regret where I am today. I do regret not following my dream as a young man. I played It safe.

M5farm":cd33w0ij said:
seriously- Instead of taking the advice from my uncle and G'Pa I would have started Farming out of high school. I probally would not have as much as I do now but I would have done what I Loved. while I do not regret where I am today. I do regret not following my dream as a young man. I played It safe.

Well thats were im at, been playing safe and just not happy.

Everything cost so much, hard to squeeze a dollar out of a dime.

Not trying to be negative.

Not the purpose of this thread.

Keep the input coming.

I should have left wood out of my fences. Lost it all in the fire of '90. Should have used metal posts. All that work for nothing.

I worked as a cowboy for a few years and loved every part of it... I never had a spare cent to my name but I didn't know it at the time. The best piece of advice I've ever been given came from a tough old fart who told me that I needed to go out and make some real money and then come back to it and do it for myself if I really wanted to live that way.
That's what I did. Luckily for me my money job is still with cows. :D
That being said, I think it's natural to be frustrated with any job and think that the grass must be greener on the other side of the fence. I do that with the part of my business that earns the bulk of my money all the time and I have to take a minute to remind myself that I LOVE cattle and agriculture and so it's a tight fit that I'm just a little burned out on. Once I see that for what it is then I'm fine for awhile.

I think everyone gets burned out, doing what they dont want to be doing. Could be part of my problem. I see people farming every day while running the back roads pulling loads of steel, and im envious, maybe slightly jealous.

Cattle and coonhunting are to things i havent been burned out on yet.

Latest posts