How Would You Handle This?

Help Support CattleToday:

Crowderfarms

Reaction score
Hired a feller that I've gotten at least 100,000.00 worth of Concrete work for by referrals.Had him dig a footer and do block work on a foundation for something I'm building, and thought he'd do me right. Make a long story straight, he's almost 6 inches off plumb.Was beginning to frame it in yesterday. Called him last night to let him know about the problem, and he promptly hung up on me. He has Illegals working for him at times,( I was told) but he did this job with a couple boys, and himself.I'm madder than a Rattlesnake in the bottom of a 55 Gallon drum.

Any Suggestions??

I'd hate to sue the Sum Beech.

Well, if he'd had the Mexicans do it, it might have been right. They can build the snot outa stuff. That was my racial stereotype for the day folks! :clap: :help:

You need to get ahold of him again and ask him 1)why he hung up on you and 2) what's he gonna do to make this right. Word of mouth is a big deal. You need to keep pestering him till he does the job right. If he won't fix it, he never gets anymore work from you, and maybe the people you tell about your experience.

Then sue him.

Thats a situation I have found myself in before. I have a network of people/ contractors I refer for trades other than mine. All, well almost all, of them have done work for me or have been referred by me and I know their quality of work. However, I make it very clear to them that before they go on my 'list' I expect the fullest from them and not to imagine me being lenient if they screw something up. I have gotten to the point that I was fed up with people putting me in your situation and said you know what I don't know nobody. Don't get me involved. Not the best decision since these same people refer me alot of things also. When I moved from the country into the 'city' I was used to doing business on a handshake. No way pops. Talk about get screwed. Needless to say i have an extensive contract now.

I would explain to him, not threaten at first, that you expect him to fix what he's screwed up. If he can't handle that like a man, then you better re-think referring him. If he avoids fixing it, sue him, cut his feeder tube, and find someone who is worthy of the work.

I don't refer anyone to anybody unless I know they are top notch. I don't mind paying more I just want it done right. I don't think I would have called him on the phone. I would have been waiting for him in person the next morning to personally point out the problem. I'd give him the opportunity to fix it. If he choses not to, he won't get a dime from me and he can take me to court but he's going to lose in more than one way.

id prolly do 2 things.1 id hire someone to fix his screw up.an charge him for it.or deduct it from what you owe him.2 sue that joker an be done with it.but he still prolly wouldnt pay you.or do the work right.

I assume you've paid him, if not I sure wouldn't . I would try to figure a way to use it, if not you're probably screwed . Sorry you're having trouble, I know how frustrating these things can be .

Larry

Jogeephus":35bcn44p said:
I don't refer anyone to anybody unless I know they are top notch. I don't mind paying more I just want it done right. I don't think I would have called him on the phone. I would have been waiting for him in person the next morning to personally point out the problem. I'd give him the opportunity to fix it. If he choses not to, he won't get a dime from me and he can take me to court but he's going to lose in more than one way.

Friend of mine had a garage floor poured last year, turned out bad, really bad. Refused to pay the guy, got taken to court. Judge ordered my friend to pay the man, said he performed the service he was hired to do, even though he did not do a professional job. Something to think about.

cfpinz":32qkb8ho said:
Jogeephus":32qkb8ho said:

Friend of mine had a garage floor poured last year, turned out bad, really bad. Refused to pay the guy, got taken to court. Judge ordered my friend to pay the man, said he performed the service he was hired to do, even though he did not do a professional job. Something to think about.
Thanks for all the advice. I paid him because he gave me a song and dance about bouncing checks to the concrete co.and he was short of money.(wonder why?)I wonder if he was run out of Wisconsin where he's originally from.

Stop construction.

I had a similar situation a few years ago that was off by 18". Seems that when they had finished the dirt inside, they removed the string marker to get the tractor out. Hooked the string back up, however on the wrong nail.... (OOPS! :D)

When starting the building, the mistake was found and the contractor came out and repaired his mistake, no questions asked.

If your contractor won't do that, take him to court and to the woodshed.

Is it out of plum, or out of square or both.Is the footing screwed up or just the blocks. Sounds like you need to find a new concrete man. Going to court to get money from someone that don't got none is pointless. You are all ready out the price of a bad block job, find someone else to fix it and move on. Don't ever pay in advance. lost your leverage when you did. Just make sure the word gets out about the job you got.

Take pictures that really show the problem. Maybe a plumbob and a level. There is nothing like video evidence.

Heard anymore from this guy?

I can't help but wonder if one of the heiferettes has trod across the foundation and knocked it askew?

cfpinz":2avktdh6 said:

Paying for the materials and concrete is one thing but paying for the labor is another. I disagree that the service was performed since its so out of wack. What can you do with something this out of plum. Sounds like the contractor created two more jobs for Crowder that is going to cost twice as much money to fix. He's going to have to tear it down and then he's going to have to rebuild it. I'd still say I wouldn't pay him. I'd take pictures of the problem. Get a second opinion from another contractor. Write the contractor a letter and tell him when he fixes the problem he will receive payment. To me, this is only fair and I know our local court system would agree. (Crowder, I'm available for jury duty if you need me) :lol2:

Is this kinda like what you are dealing with?

IMG_2271.jpg

Wow! Problem with that Jogeephus, if you were going to fix the problem that way, at least do it on the first coarse or at least the top coarse, not in the middle.

Crowderfarms said out of plumb which would be top to bottom, as if the foundation wasn't square at the bottom and he leaned in or out to get the top coarse squared. Sounds like he started out right and ended up wrong, out of square. I don't know. Some fellers follow what someone else sets up wether it is right or wrong.

Crowerfarms, could you post a pic?

Crowder, The framers of today cannot even satisfy my wants. They don't even speak the same language. If you say "cripple" they don't even know what it means. If contractors can cut the cost of your house by $100, they'll do it.

Grandaddy leveled with water in a tube. You cannot get any more level with a transit. He squared by using 6 foot, 8 foot, and ten foot etc. (A squared plus B squared equals C squared). He self checked by pulling the diagonals.

When you get ready to put up the interior walls, each piece will have to be special cut and it will eat up time.

If I could hire it done, my next house would have already been built down on the farm. I want it done a certain way so I am waiting until I have time to do it myself.

Talked to him this A.M. He refused to make it right and if since I paid him, it was an acceptance of me taking his work for being done right.Word of mouth goes for miles around here. Best way of getting even.I'm going to hire another contractor today.

i would at least report him to the bbb they won't be able to help much, but at least you will have filed and it may one day prevent someone else from getting the... well ... you know put to them. around here we try to stick with names that have been around for about ever, sometimes even if we don't care for them personally. there is still some work getting done on hand shakes, but that is surely changing. i hate this for you, especially when you extended your money in good faith, helping a guy out. hope it all works out

Crowder I don't know you other than this board but I got a suspicion you got to many irons in the fire at the moment and you need to slow things down some. Stress will get you if you are not careful.

Jogeephus":ixjqyb5s said:
Crowder I don't know you other than this board but I got a suspicion you got to many irons in the fire at the moment and you need to slow things down some. Stress will get you if you are not careful.
Jo, What would ever give you that idea? I got more logs in the fire than a Buck Stove testing lab. :D

Latest posts