How would you handle his order for hay?

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus":o51lwqwm said:
I finally finished moving the hay yesterday. I think I'd rather have a good A-- whoopin than to move hay. I unhooked the trailer and headed to the house and before I could get home I had two people wanting me to bring them some hay. Each had been offered a deal on it prior to my moving it. I guess it takes some people a while to make up their minds or to shop around. Sorry, but the blue light special is over.

Does that mean that you didn't sell them any?

GMN

GMN":2utwogs1 said:
Jogeephus":2utwogs1 said:
I finally finished moving the hay yesterday. I think I'd rather have a good A-- whoopin than to move hay. I unhooked the trailer and headed to the house and before I could get home I had two people wanting me to bring them some hay. Each had been offered a deal on it prior to my moving it. I guess it takes some people a while to make up their minds or to shop around. Sorry, but the blue light special is over.

Does that mean that you didn't sell them any?

GMN

Told them I wished they'd let me know sooner but I have sold all I plan to sell. Now if hay gets up there around $75/roll this winter like they are predicting, I might find a way to get over my hatred of moving hay. :lol: But then again, maybe not.

Jogeephus":3jvwq52n said:
Told them I wished they'd let me know sooner but I have sold all I plan to sell. Now if hay gets up there around $75/roll this winter like they are predicting, I might find a way to get over my hatred of moving hay. :lol: But then again, maybe not.

I always try to get hay right out of the baler, and I get it the heck out of his way and off his grass. I figure that makes me a "preferred customer" next year. I want to be the guy they think of when they realize they've got a few extras.

As an aside, a guy I worked for as a kid sold square bales, and a lot of of them. Can't remember the exact prices, but let's say he was selling it for $1 a bale in the field. A guy pulled up and started bypassing bales and picking up the ones that had more clover in them. The guy I was working for shut down the baler and ran over to them and told them to unload. He said something to the effect of "It's $2 a bale for choice, and I charge assholes $5.". :D

Took me a minute to figure out what the "be nice" was sub'd in for.. Got it now..

Good for your ol' boss.

Reminds me of a story my dad told me, from when he was a kid helping a guy throw bales on a trailer.. They went out into the "hayfield" -- a weedy, overgrown pasture -- and my dad (he's a kid at the time, remember) said "This ain't nothin' but a weed patch! Your cows won't eat this, will they?"

Dad said the guy glared at him and said "They'll eat it before they'll eat a ****ing snowball!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

jkwilson":2yv9wx8e said:
I always try to get hay right out of the baler, and I get it the heck out of his way and off his grass. I figure that makes me a "preferred customer" next year. I want to be the guy they think of when they realize they've got a few extras.

:D

JK, you and I would get along fantastic. Its obvious you have worked hay before and understand. I'm not an Ahole, I just hate doing things twice. That costs me money and time. Also, due to my loathing of moving the stuff, I'm pretty sure I will always have extras if somebody will save me from moving it. :lol:

Jogeephus":3cpijb9b said:
I'm sure he will be coming back in a month or two and wanting "his order filled". How would you "handle his order"?

Very simple - I would have told him I had the required number of bales available out of the field for a certain price, and he had a certain amount of time to take delivery. If he could do that, fine. If he couldn't take delivery within the specified time frame, and I had to stack them, the price would go up to whatever amount I deemed reasonable to cover my expenses for stacking said bales.

Latest posts