How would you handle his order for hay?

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Baled two fields the other day and I have another 78 acres to cut and bale once the weather breaks. Was moving the bales out of the fields to another farm when a fella called and asked if I could spare 40 rolls. I told him I could and I would give him a deal if he would come on out before I moved it and we were moving it at the moment. (I can't stand moving hay and the other hayfields were much closer to where I needed to haul it.) He said he couldn't come that day. I suggested Saturday - no , Sunday? - no but we agreed on Monday at 5:00 pm. I moved all the hay except his 40 rolls and really needed to move the equipment to the othre place so I'd ready to go but I left it there so I could load him today. Well, he calls me at 4 and says he now wants to wait till some other time to get it cause he wants to see how well his winter grazing is going to do so he will have a better idea of how many rolls he will need.

I'm not in the hay business and really wasn't looking at selling any. Just was willing to help somebody out. I'm sure he will be coming back in a month or two and wanting "his order filled". How would you "handle his order"?

You have more patience than I do, I would have told him to take a hike long before now. To end it on a tactful note you may tell him that those are the only 40 rolls that you can spare and someone else is coming to pick them up tomorrow if he doesn't want them.

cfpinz

Since he didn't hold up his end of the deal, I would consider the deal off, go ahead and move the hay and consider his order filled.

That is typical of all hay deal I have had. I never get paid or they want to pick it up at an inconvenience to me. I have extra hay I will buy open or 3rd cows and feed it sell the cows in spring or early summer.

He slacked on the deal. I would sell some where else or use it myself.

Jogeephus":3u8r0c8t said:
. . . says he now wants to wait till some other time to get it . . .

If you don't speak PLAINLY to this guy he'll have you working doubly hard not to come across as the bad guy.

Tell him you agreed to sell him 40 rolls NOW. If that doesn't suit him, fine. But you're not going to just be on hold, to sell him hay at his convenience.

If he later calls and wants some hay, you'll just have to see where you are then. Ask him if he understands what you just told him because you don't want any hard feelings later on.

Plain talk now should help with any misunderstandings later.

Tell him you will hold it on a non-refundable deposit. Set a specific time he has to pick it up by, or he forfeits the deposit. Find out in a hurry how serious he is.

Jogeephus":2hykixwj said:
Baled two fields the other day and I have another 78 acres to cut and bale once the weather breaks. Was moving the bales out of the fields to another farm when a fella called and asked if I could spare 40 rolls. I told him I could and I would give him a deal if he would come on out before I moved it and we were moving it at the moment. (I can't stand moving hay and the other hayfields were much closer to where I needed to haul it.) He said he couldn't come that day. I suggested Saturday - no , Sunday? - no but we agreed on Monday at 5:00 pm. I moved all the hay except his 40 rolls and really needed to move the equipment to the othre place so I'd ready to go but I left it there so I could load him today. Well, he calls me at 4 and says he now wants to wait till some other time to get it cause he wants to see how well his winter grazing is going to do so he will have a better idea of how many rolls he will need.

I'm not in the hay business and really wasn't looking at selling any. Just was willing to help somebody out. I'm sure he will be coming back in a month or two and wanting "his order filled". How would you "handle his order"?

You are a nice guy. But I would tell him that the price is good today, and once the hay gets moved, the price increases.

Tactful is my middle name as some of you already know. :lol: I would tell him to take a flying leap at a rolling doughnut.

First, if I had a surplus I would just tell him, it costs more out of the barn. Second there is no guarantee you will have it later. Someone might need it sooner and you might need to help them out.

I have had folks complain that the first bales they got only cost $--- and I say yep, they were also laying in the field. I had to move and store the next ones they got for a couple months and that costs more.

People that don't commit really perturb me. :mad:

Put him on "The List" He had his chance and Lollygagged around. I'd say he was just fishing when he called you. IF he had really needed the Hay, he would have made time and picked it all up.

Jogeephus":1qc57vbw said:

I'd tell him to just forget it. If he calls later fine, but if it doesn't suit you then to sell him some hay, his loss. How could he say he needed 40 bales, and then all the sudden he doesn't? Sounds to me like money is the problem, and he doesn't have any to buy the hay now.

GMN

hay here is gonna be tight .. i cant tell you how many times i have dropped what i had planed be cause of hay on the ground and the tractor was in the field to load us.. we bail square bails but i buy round bails for the cows.. if the guys are at work i round up who ever i can.. hook up to the flat bed and off we go.. unless he wants to roll it up the trailer by hand he should of been there when he said.. when you were in the field.. my way of thinking it;s way better to hay left over than an empty barn in mid winter... for warned for next yr about this guy... rose

I would move it or sell to someone else. Around here people are standing in line to get hay.

well right now the guy has backed out on taking the hay.so id move the hay an forget him.if he calls back wanting hay.tell him you went up on the price because you had to move the hay to the hay yard.

When I have something for sale most of the time I tell people that it is first come first serve. I tell them that I cannot hold it for them. You could tell him that and also that since you have expenses in moving and storing the hay that it will be priced higher once it is moved, if you still have it that is. He should understand.

It use to make me mad when folkes wanted hay and then did not show or call. But I got use to it and don't expect anything anymore.
Just like last week. I was rolling good hay on a place 2 miles from my house and 1/2 mile from a man that wanted just 6 rolls. He flagged me down the arternoon that I cut it and was going to get it with his tractor when I rolled it. I told him that I should be rolling on Thursday but I would call him when It got dry. So I call him thursday morning and leave messages on home and cell phone.
This little patch made 21 rolls and I hauled 14 on the hay truck home that left 6 in the field so I had to make another trip. If he had just called I could left his in the field and not made another trip. Then I don't see him untill Sunday.
I moved all the hay Friday afternoon and put it in the barn due to showers comming Saturday. He drives up Sunday and wonders where the hay is. I told him that I would have some more but that was already in the barn and barn hay cost alot more and it was Sunday and I was playing with my Grandbaby.
BTW he feeds it to his horses.
So I will call him next time I have some fit for horses on the ground and he can pick it up or I would deliver but delivery cost.
And price, I offered this hay at $45 in the field. The feed store charges $65 in the barn.
With hay you got to be quick or pay the price.

Jogee":2i391vqw said:
Well, he calls me at 4 and says he now wants to wait till some other time to get it cause he wants to see how well his winter grazing is going to do so he will have a better idea of how many rolls he will need.

Tell him exactly what you'd expect to hear if you called up your local feed store and told them to reserve 40 rolls for you just in case you might need them over the winter..

I suspect it would sound something like:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: followed by "How about you roll the dice like everybody else in the business."

Well I moved it to another farm and made the decision to just increase the herd since I got plenty of extra hay. If he comes back wanting some, I don't think I owe him a thing since I did tell him I would sell it out of the field before I moved it. I think he will regret it, since I offered him the hay at $30 per roll less than what the feed store is selling it for. (I mean it when I say, I hate moving hay. :oops: ) Anyhow, he has about 50 head and no hay and there is a hay shortage in the area. With corn prices high, many people planted corn rather than peanuts so peanut hay may be short as well.

Got another phone call today from somebody who saw me baling the hay and wondered (5 days after I moved it out of the field) if I could sell him some. :shock:

For anyone in the market for hay, I'm sure I'm not the only one that hates moving hay and I am sure there are bargains to be had if you will fall in behind the baler and load you some up straight out of the field. JMO

Jogeephus":1msnw8l3 said:
Well I moved it to another farm and made the decision to just increase the herd since I got plenty of extra hay. If he comes back wanting some, I don't think I owe him a thing since I did tell him I would sell it out of the field before I moved it. I think he will regret it, since I offered him the hay at $30 per roll less than what the feed store is selling it for. (I mean it when I say, I hate moving hay. :oops: ) Anyhow, he has about 50 head and no hay and there is a hay shortage in the area. With corn prices high, many people planted corn rather than peanuts so peanut hay may be short as well.

Got another phone call today from somebody who saw me baling the hay and wondered (5 days after I moved it out of the field) if I could sell him some. :shock:

For anyone in the market for hay, I'm sure I'm not the only one that hates moving hay and I am sure there are bargains to be had if you will fall in behind the baler and load you some up straight out of the field. JMO

This is very true, I bought some alfalfa squares, out of the field, paid half for what he is selling it for now, after he picked it up himself. Always cheaper this way.

GMN

I finally finished moving the hay yesterday. I think I'd rather have a good A-- whoopin than to move hay. I unhooked the trailer and headed to the house and before I could get home I had two people wanting me to bring them some hay. Each had been offered a deal on it prior to my moving it. I guess it takes some people a while to make up their minds or to shop around. Sorry, but the blue light special is over.

Latest posts