How to tell if your calf is scouring

Help Support CattleToday:

Sharleen

Reaction score
It has been so muddy this year for calving. My calves have a clean dry place to go. I just wanted to know what is a sure sign of scours before they get so dehydrated that they have to be tubed electrolites. I don't believe any of them have scours, not watery poop. Does it have to be watery or just runny or what? I get all worried usually for nothing. Any thoughts would be appriciated. Is there a preventative measure a person can take before things happen?
Thanks so much

Sharleen":29ba48vw said:
I just wanted to know what is a sure sign of scours before they get so dehydrated that they have to be tubed electrolites. I don't believe any of them have scours, not watery poop. Does it have to be watery or just runny or what?

Scours will usually be a thin or watery diarrhea that is white or a yellowish color. May or may not have blood in it, sometimes looks like curdled milk. The calf will usually have a dirty behind. To the best of my knowledge the only preventative measure is scour-guarding the pregnant animals prior to calving according to the directions on the vaccine. Here's a link that might be helpful to you:

http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/vetext/IN ... a0102.html

Here is another that goes into more depth:

http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/A/ANR-0998/

My calves are just a few days old so they are strickly on mom for now. I just wanted to know what to watch for. They are still running around lively and look real good. I also would like to know if there is something orally they can take should they look like they are going to scour. I like to have that stuff on hand. Thanks for all your replies I appreciate it.

Generally you will SMELL scours - has a "different" smell than regular calf manure. I call it "orange juice" looking. And really bad scours won't show up on their back quarters. They will have wet tails or will be wet on their rump. It is so runny it doesn't "stick" it just gets them wet.
There are MANY formulas for scours - if you search the previous posts for "scours" you find more info that you know what do to with.

you can buy scour boluses for less than a dollar. usually two will do the trick. alot of calves scour a little especially if mom gives alot of milk. when they look messy in the back and a little droopy, i give them a pill. i very seldom use them but they work for me.

Latest posts