How to Straighten Cattle Hair

Help Support CattleToday:

erin09

Reaction score
Does anyone have any ideas on how to straighten cattle hair. I have herefords and they have really curly hair all over. Any advice will be appreciated.

Use a flat iron!!! :shock:
:lol:
The only real suggestion i have is to bathe and train the hair. If you are at a show, use glue.

We use a mixture of linament stimulator, vinegar, kleen sheen, rag oil, and white rum. Spray on a light coating and then blow until they are completely dry. You might have to do this a couple times, but I guarantee it'll work 99% of the time.

I dont know if it will work on a Hereford, but, I used to work as a bather for a dog groomer and our customers were mostly poodles. We would blow dry in pinwheels (meaning you move the blower nozzel in slow small circles instead of back and forth) and we would use either a comb or brush (whatever you use make sure the teeth/brissel are close together) to brush the hair towards the head, starting from the back end to the front end. This has to be done on hair that is wet. So if while you are working on his hindquaters, his front end dries out, you can use a spray bottle to get him damp again. I know it will probably take FOREVER considering how much larger a hereford is from a poodle, but you have to do what you have to do. Give it try anyways. :D Good luck.

kim":g8y1i3hq said:
I dont know if it will work on a Hereford, but, I used to work as a bather for a dog groomer and our customers were mostly poodles. We would blow dry in pinwheels (meaning you move the blower nozzel in slow small circles instead of back and forth) and we would use either a comb or brush (whatever you use make sure the teeth/brissel are close together) to brush the hair towards the head, starting from the back end to the front end. This has to be done on hair that is wet. So if while you are working on his hindquaters, his front end dries out, you can use a spray bottle to get him damp again. I know it will probably take FOREVER considering how much larger a hereford is from a poodle, but you have to do what you have to do. Give it try anyways. :D Good luck.

Good idea, but you can't do cattle hair that way. We wash and dry and wash and dry ... Also use 2 brushes at a time. Straightening hair is not an over night thing.

One way that has worked for me is instead of only brushing forward try going over the body once down then again forward this sometimes helps when they have a lot of really curly hair
good luck

Sorry but I was assuming she meant as prior to show, as in the same day or day before. I had a SantaGertrudisxGalloway heifer that had a pile of thick curls on her shoulders. I used a similar method to the one I mentioned after her last bath before show. It may also help to use the fogged on gelatin formula the night before. I'm not remembering all the details to it right now but I can get my hands on it if you'd like me to. It seemed to add a bit of structure to the hair and help straighten the curls. Otherwise, although you may be able to slightly 'loosen' the curls a bit with regular washing/drying, you wont be able to 'cure' your calves of their curling dilemma. ;-) ;-) :D Good luck with them.

kim":24dkrn0r said:
Sorry but I was assuming she meant as prior to show, as in the same day or day before. I had a SantaGertrudisxGalloway heifer that had a pile of thick curls on her shoulders. I used a similar method to the one I mentioned after her last bath before show. It may also help to use the fogged on gelatin formula the night before. I'm not remembering all the details to it right now but I can get my hands on it if you'd like me to. It seemed to add a bit of structure to the hair and help straighten the curls. Otherwise, although you may be able to slightly 'loosen' the curls a bit with regular washing/drying, you wont be able to 'cure' your calves of their curling dilemma. ;-) ;-) :D Good luck with them.

Didn't mean you were incorrect, but using circular motions on our Hereford cattle would just make a bigger problem. As for washing/drying and brushing 2 times per day -- it works! It's not fun, but it works.

Downy. Put it in a spray bottle and spray it in. Works wonders for the hair and makes it really really soft, as well as taking out the wave, or curl.

I know what you mean! Herefords have the worst hair to deal with. Here's what I do with my Herefords, you also have to take into consideration I spend 80min per calf per day. :shock: First, I take and body clip my calves; it gets all that winter or old hair off. (Make sure and clip with the hair.) If you don't have time to do that before a show use a shedding blade and get all the loose dead hair off. I run water on each of my calves for 20min a day, this helps with hair growth. I also like to turn the sprayer on jet and push the hair forward with the water, this really helps. I then comb the hair with a few different brushes, a scotch comb mostly. (I alway comb the hair down then forward and then up in some areas with my scotch comb.) Then get out your blower! I blow for about 30min a day. I really don't use that many products, I guess Kleen Sheen is about it. You could also try a product by Sullivan's called Hair Set, I've had good luck with it although it build up in hair, be sure to rinse it out well. Kirk Steirwalt's Daily Care video is great! He has some really good tips! Good Luck! ;-)

JstHerfIt where are you from? I see it says Center, ND. I'm from Dickinson, so I'm curious. I thought I was the only NoDak boy on here.

Another good product is Hamm's Glimmer Sheen. You can use it daily or on show day. Sure adds 'pop' to the hair. Makes it easy to manage and easy to clip.

I used to show herefords a long time ago.

After washing, comb the hair straight down and then brush down. We would then start blowing it forward, one small area at a time. Get one part pretty dry before moving to another spot when blowing. This works pretty good.

We used to buy some type of hair relaxer from Sally's Beauty Supply. Don't remember the name, but it was lime green in color and helped relax the curls. We used it just like show sheen.

Latest posts