How to read EPD,s

Help Support CattleToday:

Keep in mind they are explaining the EPDs and profit indexes that are used by the AHA. Different breeds use different EPDs. Some have very few while others (like Angus) measure just about everything you can imagine. Some are measuring the same trait but give the EPDs different names, such as Marbling and IMF. Some measure traits that others don't feel is necessary, such as the Docility EPD in Limousin. Either way, I agree with Frankie. It's good information. Thanks for posting it.

vs_cattle":31q3tkqe said:
Different breeds EPDs # can not be compared

I beleive this is intentional to keep people from makeing accurate comparesions between breeds.

And thats probably a good thing.

I sure like all the info the Angus EPD'S include.

VanC":ia8pyac1 said:
vs_cattle":ia8pyac1 said:

Actually, they can. Don't know how accurate the comparisons are, though.

http://www.angus.org/sireeval/Across_br ... actor.html

Thanks Van. Although I have not figured out how the calculations work I guess I will eventually. Or maybe someone can explain.
Here are the EPD'S of a Brahman.
BW 5.4
WW 29.1
Yw 45.7
Milk 10.9
How would you calculate this with their adjustment factors as compared to Angus at 0?

novatech":1ki2mqy8 said:
VanC":1ki2mqy8 said:
vs_cattle":1ki2mqy8 said:

Thanks Van. Although I have not figured out how the calculations work I guess I will eventually. Or maybe someone can explain.
BW 5.4
WW 29.1
Yw 45.7
Milk 10.9
How would you calculate this with their adjustment factors as compared to Angus at 0?

I haven't taken the time to figure it out yet. I did a google search for "across breed epds" and a number of sites came up that try to explain it, but it's still confusing to me. One thing that stood out was that there's no good way to get much accuracy using across breed EPDs. It's just a guideline for general comparison. Good luck.

VanC":213lyy22 said:
novatech":213lyy22 said:
VanC":213lyy22 said:
vs_cattle":213lyy22 said:

BW 5.4
WW 29.1
Yw 45.7
Milk 10.9

I haven't taken the time to figure it out yet. I did a google search for "across breed epds" and a number of sites came up that try to explain it, but it's still confusing to me. One thing that stood out was that there's no good way to get much accuracy using across breed EPDs. It's just a guideline for general comparison. Good luck.
Figured it out.
Simply add the correction to the animal campared to. But they all relate to angus from the start.
And I would agree that these would be crude estimites only.

vs_cattle":1kk9gpuy said:
Yes, they can. There is now available "Across Breed EPD's", although they do not cover all of the traits that some breeds do.

DOC HARRIS

Thanks Frankie and Doc.
I have not had time to go over that other site yet, but maybe I will get some later on.
It does look like the Angus Assoc. gives a lot more good info with their EPD's than most other breeds. Wish everyone did that.

Latest posts