How to handle a bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

Brute 23":1tr2s8gl said:
I don't blame yall for keeping one that does that in yalls line of business :D , but for a cow/ calf guy its not worth it. Its risky enough to have any animal because they are so unpredictable... there is no use adding to it by keeping ones that have shown just the slightest bit of agression.

I agree. :)

Roadapple":2efng6ne said:
Why do some of you keep these bulls and cows if you have to carry axe handles, baseball bats, clubs, guns, etc? I'd get rid of 'em if I had any like that. And the only ones I've ever been glad to see leave were 4 bulls, of a well known breed, that I rented. I do almost everything different than you guys (and gals) and I've never been hurt or injured, and I walk amongst them everyday, scratch their back, spray 'em for flies, etc. But I do stay alert around them. I think why some are wild or agressive is that nobody has intermingled with them while they were young. But that's just my opinion, which means absolutely nothing.

I'm the same way. My bull calf is a little aggressive with the head butting, but 99% of the time he's wanting the contents of the feed bucket before I can get to the pans (one of the steers does the same thing). Other times when he butts, he's being playful. I correct him, not with a stick or a hotshot, but I'll twist his hear real good! I don't want my little band of bovines to fear me, I want them to respect me and my presence so that I can get close to them and get a good look. I'm still working on earning the respect of the new cow/calf pairs I bought. They don't challenge me, but they won't let me get real close either. I'm going slow, doing things like standing close while they eat, once in a while reaching out to touch them, etc. I don't want them to stress out and not let me near them if they are injured or what have you. Like Roadapple, I stay alert, and don't turn my back, unless they are engrossed in grub. I've got some health issues that prevent me from being too fleet of foot, so I have to try to outsmart them instead of outrun them!

I have always been taught and I understood the reason why, that pastures are built for cattle (including bulls) to have a home. The bulls know that this is "their territory" and treat it as such with any defensive or aggressive means necessary.

No way is there reason to turn your back on them no matter how well you think his disposition is.

How many sincere cattlemen and women have been taken to an emergency room while thinking.....

"I don't understand. That bull never acted that way before."

They are animals. Love them but treat them like animals.

Latest posts