How to handle a bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

Rustler9":3e29pa5i said:
We have a big Longhorn bull that's now coming five years old. He's extremely laid back and you have to really push him if you want to move him around or drive him to another pasture. Very calm animal. But he used to shake his head at me whenever I came near him. One night I was putting out hay in a pasture by myself, I was cutting the strings off the round bale and trying to hold a flash light so that I could see. He kept shaking his head at me wanting me to move away from the hay bale, so I did. I walked over a few feet away to where a big limb had fallen out of big oak tree. This was a piece of a dead limb about six feet long and probably as big around as my bicep. I picked it up and went back over to the bull and as I brought it down on top of his head I told him that I had something for him, that he was going to learn who was in charge. As the limb made contact with the top of his head and broke in half, he shook his head one more time but not at me. I guess he learned his lesson. He's a heck of a good bull and I sure wanted to make sure that I'd be able to keep him around.
I agree with you , Jim, Hoss and others Give them a meaningful attitude adjustment or don't do anything. But don't mess around with it. If you don't let them know you really mean it they take it as a game. Sooner or later they will win that game.
Always be aware of where they are and what they are doing.

When I was growing up our neighbor had a cow that would act up. My brother told him to find a big stick and hid the cow with it when it acted up. Worked like a charm the first time, knocked the cow out. The second time he hit the cow, the cow just stood there, then it went after the guy and broke his leg and ribs. I'm not sure how often this happens. And your right novatech, the tame ones think that their your friend and want to play with you, not knowing their own strength. If there's a bull in the pasture I just do my thing and get out, the more you screw around with these beasts the more likely your going to get hurt.

I have found a good bull whip will move a bull pretty quick

I had 2 bulls on one side of the fence and one on the other had gotten into the alley seperating their pasture and I pulled up and popped the whip and the older bulls went over the hill the younger bull it took a pop or 2 and he went back where he belonged

I have used this for yrs and I have never had a problem getting them to move out of the way and if I take a cow stick and wave it they get to moving because they don't like that whip poppin their butts

novatech":qgmtkdfe said:
Actually I tend to disagree with the others somewhat on this. In my opinion you did pretty much what I would have done. A bull putting has head down and nudging you is exactly what I would expect of a gentle bull. This is how they act with each other in a non aggressive manner.

This is true.

On the other hand a cow or bull shaking their head at you is an indicator that he does not want to be messed with. Beating them with a stick can have negative results immediately or in the future.

I agree. You don't want to beat them. You do however, want to hit him hard enough to get his attention. Hit him one time and hit him hard enough, and you won't have that problem again. My bulls know the difference between my sorting stick and my baseball bat. :lol: (They really do!)

It can make them flighty, or even set them up for a fight in the future which I can promise you they will win.

Don't let yourself get in this situation.

If you don't beleave this just go to the sale barn and watch some cattle fight a hotshot.

I don't own a hotshot and don't need one. A hotshot is one of the worst things you can use on a cow.

Pushing them with a stick works very well and of course having it in your hand makes you feel safer.

A white fiberglass sorting stick is one of the greatest cow tools ever invented!

Training of cattle starts at an early age as to who is the boss. Since this a borrowed bull you have no clue how that bull will react to anything. My advice is to not let him that close to you at any time.

Exactly! Never let him get close enough to bump or rub on you. What starts out as that gentle rub soon escalates into something bad...

Give him his space. When a cow is in season everything may go out the window. At that time give them a lot more space. I have seen some very gentle bulls take on their masters almost as if they were considered competition.

All bulls have the potential to maim and kill you.

As a first time poster, I have been pleasantly surprised at number of responses and all the great (potential life saving) advice. I am guilty of giving him range cubes, only to make it easy to get him and the cows from one pasture to another.
My wife and son feel better knowing that I have received this advice. Thanks very much.
Mike

yep..poke him with a stick
that always make animals behave.

his sole job is breed.
he's 2000 #'s of pure muscle and testosterone
and you just took him away from the cows.. think about it

give him plenty of respect and space.

Angus Cowman":3aad4n7i said:
I have found a good bull whip will move a bull pretty quick

I had 2 bulls on one side of the fence and one on the other had gotten into the alley seperating their pasture and I pulled up and popped the whip and the older bulls went over the hill the younger bull it took a pop or 2 and he went back where he belonged

I have used this for yrs and I have never had a problem getting them to move out of the way and if I take a cow stick and wave it they get to moving because they don't like that whip poppin their butts
That's what I use. Keep it right by the gate, and when they see me pick it up, their already moving. Don't have to whip them or anything , just pop it. 99% of the time I don't even bother with it.

Jim62":388pxo21 said:
It's amazing how fast a bull can learn things. I had one that started throwing his head at me when going through gates and such, and just generally acting up. I got a 2 x 4 about 4 feet long and waited for him to make a move next time we dealt with a gate. He did, and I let him have it right between the eyes immediately. Had him for several more years, and he never even considered acting up again. I don't like any of them to get any closer than about 5 feet from me.

I only have done that one time. I sold him that fall.

Sold one last week that had lost a screw last spring. He was a little worse than the first.

The first was a Red Angus a heifer bull. The last one was a LIm pasture bull.

I don't want those genes in my pool.

Wewild":321ifkyr said:
Jim62":321ifkyr said:
It's amazing how fast a bull can learn things. I had one that started throwing his head at me when going through gates and such, and just generally acting up. I got a 2 x 4 about 4 feet long and waited for him to make a move next time we dealt with a gate. He did, and I let him have it right between the eyes immediately. Had him for several more years, and he never even considered acting up again. I don't like any of them to get any closer than about 5 feet from me.

I only have done that one time. I sold him that fall.

Sold one last week that had lost a screw last spring. He was a little worse than the first.

The first was a Red Angus a heifer bull. The last one was a LIm pasture bull.

I don't want those genes in my pool.

Sort of like growing up in my house. I had the most kind and loving father anyone could ever want. However.... all it took was looking at his belt or the sound of a stern voice and you knew to get back in line fast. If that didn't happen, then daddy would.

Same goes with the animals. It's good (and for some, to love them :nod: ), but discipline is necessary.

The sorting stick, they don't mind. The baseball bat, they fear.

Sasserosa":1kbq8xqi said:
As a first time poster, I have been pleasantly surprised at number of responses and all the great (potential life saving) advice. I am guilty of giving him range cubes, only to make it easy to get him and the cows from one pasture to another.
My wife and son feel better knowing that I have received this advice. Thanks very much.
Mike

Mike - training with range cubes or grain is excellent. The only thing that motivates a bull more is a hot-to-trot lady in the field. All it takes for me is a couple of whistles or a shout and my girls (and boys) will stampede coming to see what I want. They will follow me to the end of the world and back. With or without feed.

But... any cows are dangerous. Bulls more-so because they are bulls, and all the rest of them because they are so big. They get excited, they get frisky, and when they start prancing, the rear feet fly. They can't help it. Just ask the front fenders of my JD Gator. :lol2:

Be careful around all of them. Your wife and son deserve to have a father that comes back to the house every evening, just like mine.

Stay Safe!

Sasserosa":2qpiicfe said:
I started in May and have Reg. Black Angus, 10 cows & one borrowed bull. I want to know how to deal with him if he keeps acting like that.

Mike

There is a little more to it than simply whacking him with an axehandle - or anything else, for that matter. Some bulls will back off, and some become even more aggressive. Being a novice, you have no business trying to correct this bulls behaviour - the odds are high that you will get hurt. Send him home, and find another bull to put with your cows. Getting 10 cows (any number of cows, for that matter) bred is not worth getting hurt over.

Sasserosa":2ol0kqyo said:
I am guilty of giving him range cubes, only to make it easy to get him and the cows from one pasture to another.

Mine get cubed when they change pastures or go to the working pens. It is easier to lead them than it is to try and drive them. It is also easier to move 50 across the road than it is to move 2 or 3. Once the lead cows head in the right direction, the others follow. The younger calves are a problem crossing the roads since they are not used to the routine.

If I yell out, "Come on!" The cows think they are getting cubes and moved to a new pasture.

One wild cow can stir up the whole herd. I don't want a crazy cow. I simply don't want a pet either.

Been posted 50 times already, but Ill say it the 51st time..do not trust that bull!
Big Stick and dont ever turn your back on him. he could seriously injure or even kill you!

baxter78":3t5t07ke said:
Wewild":3t5t07ke said:
I have never found a decent reason to get close to any cattle unless there is a life and death situation for them. Except maybe through a fence.

So you dont vaccinate your animals? Remind me not to purchase from you.

I would say the shoot and lane do a good job of keeping them in when we work them.

Do you vaccinate without them being confined in some manner?

Wewild":hr4ccqsk said:
baxter78":hr4ccqsk said:
Wewild":hr4ccqsk said:
I have never found a decent reason to get close to any cattle unless there is a life and death situation for them. Except maybe through a fence.

So you dont vaccinate your animals? Remind me not to purchase from you.

I would say the shoot and lane do a good job of keeping them in when we work them.

Do you vaccinate without them being confined in some manner?

I think most of us knew what you were talking about Wewild. And I agree. Never have I've decided to walk up and "pet" a cow. When feeding and sorting you do get close but you just have to keep your smarts. The best thing for the guy who started this topic is as everyone has said:

Bulls cant be trusted. Even if they seem gentle, just let a cow be ready to be bred and he will change his mood and be as aggresive as can be.

Good luck workin with him though.

novatech and grannysoo are right on. I never turn my back on a bull, but they do not fear me either. It's called respect, which IMO is earned. Our animals are not hit, shocked, run by ATV's or dogs. We always have sorting pole on hand when working them but rarely need to use it for anything besides an arm extention to visually close a hole. We need to handle them on foot. We know individual personalities and know who needs a little space and patience and who needs pushing. Aggressive animals are shipped - this personality trait is too heritable. We occasionally bought bulls that turned pushy and they left on a trailer. Take a naturally nervous animal and make him/her scared and yeah, they'll be crazy and hurt you. Realize some animals are not right on the head and need to take a trip.

This may tick off some people, but I think if you can't walk into your pasture and have the entire herd basically ignore your presence, you are either doing something wrong or need new bloodlines. And don't go saying that they won't be protective enough - I would not want to be a coyote in our pasture. TREAT YOUR ANIMALS WITH CARE AND RESPECT, PEOPLE, IT WILL PAY YOU DIVIDENDS IN THE END.

redcowsrule33":3uks3wor said:
This may tick off some people, but I think if you can't walk into your pasture and have the entire herd basically ignore your presence, you are either doing something wrong or need new bloodlines. And don't go saying that they won't be protective enough - I would not want to be a coyote in our pasture. TREAT YOUR ANIMALS WITH CARE AND RESPECT, PEOPLE, IT WILL PAY YOU DIVIDENDS IN THE END.

I wish I could walk the pastures and have them ignore me. I sure don;t need them traipsing along behind me like they do.

novatech":1wzw348u said:
I made a poor assumption by turning my back to a very gentle bull as I poured the feed into the bunk. He put his head under my butt and sailed me through the air. I was between him and what he wanted. He will not do that again, and I will not allow him or any other bull, or cow,behind me again.
So you can't fly either. :p Amazing how much you can think about and how long that 2 second flight seems.

Mine went something like; :shock: :dunce: Holy s#*t.... oooff........., hey, ok I didn't hit the wall behind me and I'm not on the ground....... hmm :? wonder where the...whump! :eek: oh their it is.

Latest posts