how much to rent pasture in NE.

Help Support CattleToday:

MAGONZ1969

Reaction score
Anybody know what the going rate is for renting pasture ground in central Nebraska. I would like to rent some pasture and done some looking but information is much outdated and would like something more up to date. I'm looking on a per acre/per head basis. Any input will be appreciated. Thank you!!! :cboy:

I'm not in nebraska, but i do rent alot of land and the main thing around here is it is the hardest thing in the world to find, One place i rent is about 90 acres not hayable good for about 20 to 25 pairs i brushog and do all the fence work and i pay 2500$ a year.

Magonz - I live in NE Nebraska and have to completely agree with Denver, the hardest part of expansion is finding grass. When you do, landowners are typically in the driver's seat with multiple offers, most ending in a quasi-lease auction. My advice is to put a pencil to it, figure what you can afford to pay, and stick to your budget.

I have one lease at $150 for the five month grazing season. I take care of the fence, herbicide, and fertilizer on this property (retired bachelor who appreciates the company and occassional bottle of hooch).

We recently rented a small irrigated patch (25 pair) for $1.50 per pair per day.

I was at a couple sales out in Ericson last spring and the 'word on the street' was several tracts leasing for $400 per pair (May - Oct). They just had a lease auction (conducted by a realtor) in Creighton and it went for $600. There are some big time grain farmers who have piles of silage from dryland drought corn, plenty of cash to burn and need a place for the cows they bought driving up prices...makes it tough.

I heard the same Ericson and Creighton. That is outrageous. Most feedyards will feed pairs for around $3.00 per day. The price at Creighton is about 3.65/ day. I would put in the feedyard if it was me. Last year I rented some ground out for $225/ pair for 5 month season that is $1.50/ day. If I get any regrowth it will be more this year.

Latest posts