how much silage

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":the53zo8 said:
Now...when you called him did you ask him about test weights being higher on lower moisture corn? When you get that right you'll be off to a good "re-start". Nuff on this now. it's been fun. :tiphat:
When you find any facts proving to me me that 15.5% moisture corn has a lighter test weight than 12% moisture corn please by all meens show me. There is a reason that the standard is 15.5% that provides the best test weight. If the best test weight came from 12% don't you think the elevators would demand that 12% be the standard? Don't you think if 12% provided the best test weight that elevators would pay a premium for it? I've dried enough corn thru a continuous flow corn drier to know what % moisture will provide the best test weight. You will only be able to shrink the seed so far before you start hollowing out the seed. Someday buy a corn drier get yourself some 25% moisture corn dry it down to 15.5% and 12% then get the test weights then you will then understand. Anything under 14% the only water your losing is exiting as test weight not water weight.

Maybe to a livestock producer the higher level of protien makes it a higher quality corn to him. However to an ethanol producer higher starch with lower protien makes a lower protien corn a better quality corn to him.

Mr. Somn this is exactly right. I never said higher protein was better. The question I asked was "WHICH is better". I agree with what you posted 100%. :clap: :clap: :clap: :tiphat:

mnmtranching when you calculated your corn yield at 12.5 bushels in each ton of silage what did you shrink the corn down to 13% like your old friend or the standard 15.5% moisture?

Mister Somn, having that high ratio of grain to fiber in my corn silage worked out well. :nod:

I got a good gain on the fed cattle. With feeding all the alfalfa hay and the corn silage my year old steers and heifers will average 1100. I don't think that's to bad? They have 30% Land O Lake lick tubs, and salt. That's it, didn't put any thing else in them. With the ban on out of state feeders I'll just keep feeding them. One of the reasons all your BS means nothing to me. I figure , with a average year I will feed everything all the way to slaughter. :D So you guys just keep sending you corn to ethanol, who cares. :clap: :clap:

mnmtranching":2h3po1nw said:
Mister Somn, having that high ratio of grain to fiber in my corn silage worked out well. :nod:

I got a good gain on the fed cattle. With feeding all the alfalfa hay and the corn silage my year old steers and heifers will average 1100. I don't think that's to bad? They have 30% Land O Lake lick tubs, and salt. That's it, didn't put any thing else in them. With the ban on out of state feeders I'll just keep feeding them. One of the reasons all your BS means nothing to me. I figure , with a average year I will feed everything all the way to slaughter. :D So you guys just keep sending you corn to ethanol, who cares. :clap: :clap:
I guess I missed your answer did you shrink it to 13% or the standard 15.5% moisture? Also what % moisture was the silage when you cut it?

somn":394yhp3k said:
mnmtranching":394yhp3k said:

I guess I missed your answer did you shrink it to 13% or the standard 15.5% moisture? Also what % moisture was the silage when you cut it?

Doesn't matter to me. So why in the world would you care. I'm not selling my silage and the cows sure don't ask.

mnmtranching":161kbag3 said:
somn":161kbag3 said:
mnmtranching":161kbag3 said:

Doesn't matter to me. So why in the world would you care. I'm not selling my silage and the cows sure don't ask.
Simple question I just thought it was simple enough for you to answer it. 13% or 15.5% not real difficult unless of course your not sure how you figured the shrink.

Somn, trust me on this. My corn is exactly 12.937 % moisture. I mean for sure. :wave:

mnmtranching":22onarj3 said:
Somn, trust me on this. My corn is exactly 12.937 % moisture. I mean for sure. :wave:
Do you know the exact % moisture of the silage when you cut it also?

somn":2mcrwgdz said:
mnmtranching":2mcrwgdz said:

Didn't turn to silage until piled and packed.

mnmtranching":vdkniamv said:
somn":vdkniamv said:
mnmtranching":vdkniamv said:

Didn't turn to silage until piled and packed.
It is silage the second you cut it. So what was the moisture of the silage.

jbar":2nj9sho4 said:
thanks for all the info,dont think what i had in mind will be profitable. if takes 50#/silage a day to put on 1.5#/gain . thats about .66 cents to put on .69 worth of gain.thank again for info

Sounds like $26/ton for silage?

May need to sell the cows and feed the silage to (higher value) young stock?

mnmtranching

surely you must know what the moisture your silage was when you cut it don't you?

somn":uoyj4o8b said:
mnmtranching

surely you must know what the moisture your silage was when you cut it don't you?

Takes about 24 hours for our corn to ensile [turn to silage]

Now I suppose you got a combine that turns the corn to ethanol as soon as it hits the machine. :roll:

mnmtranching":exlhwyvh said:
somn":exlhwyvh said:
mnmtranching

Takes about 24 hours for our corn to ensile [turn to silage]

Now I suppose you got a combine that turns the corn to ethanol as soon as it hits the machine. :roll:
So know your trying to tell me when I feed off the wagon when we are cutting silage it really isn't silage. Thats funny. How about instead of dodgeing the question just answer it what was the moisture of the silage or do you not know what the moisture was? Seems that is one of the more important factors of when to cut.

Just like those that grind hay for feeding. As soon as it's ground it's haylage. :shock: :lol2: :lol2:

Silage to be silage has got to ensile. :roll: Same with legumes.

This is elementary stuff. Ever hear of green chop?

mnmtranching":33atn6xf said:
Just like those that grind hay for feeding. As soon as it's ground it's haylage. :shock: :lol2: :lol2:

Silage to be silage has got to ensile. :roll: Same with legumes.

This is elementary stuff. Ever hear of green chop?
Ground dry hay is ground hay. wet hay thru a chopper is haylage try and keep up. Answering a simple question is also elementary stuff. What was the moisture of your silage?

Latest posts