how much silage

Help Support CattleToday:

jbar

Reaction score
what % of body weight sould you feed silage to cows.
like 3% of 950# cow =28.5# silage

is this enough if thats all the cow is getting.
will they gain and get to fat.

for beef cows id feed 2 to 2.5% of their bw.because all you want todo is maintain their body condition an not grow the calf inside them.as well as get them ready to breed back.

what do you think the adg on a 950# cow that is body condition #3-4 on 3%body w(28# silage)?

i think that she would gain 1.5lb a day maybe a tad more.an with that you have to know her end weight to be a bs of 5 or 6 at calving.an for a 950lb cow id say thats a 150lb gain.but thats just my thoughts.

i dont know what the moisture % is.can you tell me how to figure it. it seems dry in the middle and wetter on the egdes.

trying to figerout if buying some young thin open cows will make any money on gain.

i will put a bull with them the ones that breed will surly make a little just trying to figer what my cost of gain will be and if the ones that dont get bred will make a profit on gain if they are only going to break even i will do somthing differnt.

I am sure that they will gain weight, how much i don't know. But I would asume that they would eat between 40-60 lbs of silage depending on what breed they are. sorry i can't help out more.

I have simmental cattle and I feed 50 lbs per cow 5 lbs of feed we make ( corn soybeans and distillers ) and free choice hay everyday.

Typical silage will run from 60% to 65% moisture so you're feeding a lot of water and not much dry matter. 50 lbs. per day would be about 18 lbs. of dry matter. If you're feeding corn silage you'll be getting quite a bit of grain into them at the same time, the amount depending on how good the corn was when cut. Too much can cause them to start getting too fat on you. A lot of silage can be cut too short so make some hay available as well in order to get some long stem roughage into them and let the cows decide if the want/need it.

My bred cows have been eating 40 pounds of corn silage and 5 pounds of hay for 5 months. Most have gained a little over Winter. The cows have calved and doing very well.

mnmtranching":qeddz6op said:
My bred cows have been eating 40 pounds of corn silage and 5 pounds of hay for 5 months. Most have gained a little over Winter. The cows have calved and doing very well.
considering they got 13 pounds of corn everyday I would have thought they would have gained more than a little. What happened do you think?

somn":19qy7cam said:
mnmtranching":19qy7cam said:
considering they got 13 pounds of corn everyday I would have thought they would have gained more than a little. What happened do you think?

Good thing the cows had all that corn, hard for cows to put on weight in the Winter. :roll:

mnmtranching":1k4zvbdt said:
somn":1k4zvbdt said:
mnmtranching":1k4zvbdt said:

Good thing the cows had all that corn, hard for cows to put on weight in the Winter. :roll:
If they didn't put weight on with all that corn you might need better cows. I've got rations for the feedlot with less grain in them than that.

MR Somn, For some reason? :roll: I don't believe anything coming from you. :lol:

Have a nice evening.

thanks for all the info,dont think what i had in mind will be profitable. if takes 50#/silage a day to put on 1.5#/gain . thats about .66 cents to put on .69 worth of gain.thank again for info

mnmtranching":3if69bm9 said:
MR Somn, For some reason? :roll: I don't believe anything coming from you. :lol:

Have a nice evening.
I would never expect you to believe the truth you live in a make believe land where regardless how many times people prove you wrong you still go on believing you are right.

jbar":2tkrj0e0 said:
mama always told me if you cant say somthing nice dont say anything.

But then, :nod: Poor Mr Somn couldn't participate. :cry2:

somn":1i31d0h4 said:
mnmtranching":1i31d0h4 said:

Actually being fed silage at that rate and assuming 65% moisture they only got 14 lbs. of total dry matter and The corn will have the same moisture content as the rest of the silage so there may be 4.5 lbs. of corn dry matter in this silage IF there is 13 lb. of corn on an "as fed" basis. Looks like a maintenance diet to me and any gain achieved in that northern weather would be a bonus. Good job MM.

TexasBred":33jb584g said:
Actually being fed silage at that rate and assuming 65% moisture they only got 14 lbs. of total dry matter and The corn will have the same moisture content as the rest of the silage so there may be 4.5 lbs. of corn dry matter in this silage IF there is 13 lb. of corn on an "as fed" basis.
1 US bushel of Number 2 yellow corn weighs 56 pounds and is 15.5% moisture. Always has been always will be. You also might want to have someone explain to you how to figure shrink of shell corn it has never been 1 to 1.

mnmtranching said he had 12.5 bushels of corn in every ton of silage.
1 bushel = 56#
56# x 12.5 = 700#
700# of corn in every 2000# of silage. or 35% Number 2 Yellow corn
35% of 40# = 14#
I was giving him the benefit of the doubt at 13#.
If he can't get cattle to gain off 13 pounds of No 2 yellow corn along with 27 pounds of 65% moisture corn fodder and 5# of grass hay he has a problem.