how much silage

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":14z363jv said:
somn":14z363jv said:
TexasBred":14z363jv said:
While your doing your studying look this up. "The lower the crude protein level in corn the higher the quality of the corn". True or false and why?? Maybe that will keep you outta everyone's hair for awhile. :lol2: :lol2:
I guess this will have a different answer from whomever you ask. You think that 12% moisture corn is better quality corn than 15.5% moisture corn. I think 15.5% moisture corn is better quality corn. Try running some of your 12% light test weight corn thru a rollermill for hogs once and you will soon find out many ulcers later that 12% corn is horrible for feed.

You need to go back to school and pay attention this time. Go to bed early and get up early. Yes the low moistue corn is better. You can talk bushels all you like but reality is elevators buy corn by the ton and at 12% moisture they get more "kernels" per ton than at 15.5% moisture and it's better corn as well.
As for what moisture level is the "standard" I agree with you on the 15.5% corn being standard...however, buying at 12% moisture I get more dry matter per ton and if someone wants flaked corn folks down here hit it with steam, raise the moisture level, roll it and sell it with the added water plus marking the price up as much as $50 a ton.
Now...which is better..high protein corn or low protein corn and why?? You dodged that one.
You think because you are buying less water you are buying better corn. You might be buying less water but Below 14.0 moisture the seed size no longer shrinks only the test weight does. Raise a couple thousand acres of corn once you will see that by drying corn below 14% moisture you have only hurt yourself.

TexasBred":389moa57 said:
Glad I'm not buying corn up your way tho cause in Texas it's 56 lbs. per bushel at 12% moisture. 15.5% moisture will mold in this area before you can get it dried (Probably up there too)
Iowa State University has done many trials showing 16% moisture corn can be stored in 80 degree temperatures for 1.6 months for safe storage.

TexasBred":2od7hrlr said:
I know 15.5% may be the standard up your way but down here it's 12%..anything higher and the price is discounted.

TexasBred":2od7hrlr said:
As for what moisture level is the "standard" I agree with you on the 15.5% corn being standard.
Make up your mind is it 12% or is it 15.5%

Had a chance to ask an old acquaintance, Works 20 center pivots. Raises lots of corn. For the heck of it I asked him about moisture. Said all corn is dried to 13% or less before going into the bins. I asked Why? He said for storage, his customers will buy only 13% or less. So I don't know??

TexasBred":31lzj773 said:
somn":31lzj773 said:
TexasBred":31lzj773 said:
To begin with MM never said his silage contained any corn. He only said he was feeding 40 pounds of corn silage and 5 lbs. of hay.
Try to keep up. A ton is a 2000 lbs. and a bushel of corn is a 56 pounds at 15.5% moisture.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=40065&hilit=600+tons

Somn...you are a real hoot. Nobody but you would go back six months to find a figure in order to make a post and even then the amount of corn is a guess at best. Glad I'm not buying corn up your way tho cause in Texas it's 56 lbs. per bushel at 12% moisture. 15.5% moisture will mold in this area before you can get it dried (Probably up there too) so why would I, or anyone else for that matter, want to buy an additonal 2400 lbs. of water per 50,000 lb load?? And the corn in corn silage is the same moisture as the stalk, cob and everything else in the mix. Usually from 34-35%. Sometimes even higher if cut too early.

While your doing your studying look this up. "The lower the crude protein level in corn the higher the quality of the corn". True or false and why?? Maybe that will keep you outta everyone's hair for awhile. :lol2: :lol2:

First post with question...still hasn't been answered by Somn...While your goggling this here is a cut and paste from Univ. of Wisconsin since you won't believe me.

What is the relationship between grain moisture and test weight?
Grain moisture and test weight are related from the standpoint that as moisture increases, test weight decreases. For example, corn at 20% moisture will have a test weight that is 2 pounds lower than the same corn dried to 15.5% moisture. It doesn't matter whether the drying is done naturally in the field or artificially in a bin. This year's high measured test weights may be due, in part, to the fact that corn was much drier coming off the field than is normally the case. One reason why test weight increases as grain dries is that dry kernels pack together more easily than wet ones. Additionally, as moisture decreases, the kernels shrink and this allows for more kernels to fill a volume bushel.

Somn will you believe the University of Wisconsin???? See below:

Grain moisture and test weight are related from the standpoint that as moisture increases, test weight decreases. For example, corn at 20% moisture will have a test weight that is 2 pounds lower than the same corn dried to 15.5% moisture. It doesn't matter whether the drying is done naturally in the field or artificially in a bin. This year's high measured test weights may be due, in part, to the fact that corn was much drier coming off the field than is normally the case. One reason why test weight increases as grain dries is that dry kernels pack together more easily than wet ones. Additionally, as moisture decreases, the kernels shrink and this allows for more kernels to fill a volume bushel. Now remember....a bushel is a measure of volume.

TexasBred":3nmbopxo said:
Somn will you believe the University of Wisconsin???? See below:

Grain moisture and test weight are related from the standpoint that as moisture increases, test weight decreases. For example, corn at 20% moisture will have a test weight that is 2 pounds lower than the same corn dried to 15.5% moisture. It doesn't matter whether the drying is done naturally in the field or artificially in a bin. This year's high measured test weights may be due, in part, to the fact that corn was much drier coming off the field than is normally the case. One reason why test weight increases as grain dries is that dry kernels pack together more easily than wet ones. Additionally, as moisture decreases, the kernels shrink and this allows for more kernels to fill a volume bushel. Now remember....a bushel is a measure of volume.
20% corn will have a lighter test weight than 15.5% but 12% corn will have a lighter test weight than 15.5% corn because the seed will only shrink so much after that by removing more moisture you are losing test weight. The seed size will remain the same. That is why we have a 15.5% moisture standard not 12% the best quality corn is not 12% moisture. Run that 12% hollowed out corn seed thru a couple augers and then you will have well over 10% FM. I guess everyone has a different idea of quality corn.

mnmtranching":1emv8nzf said:
So I don't know??
Boy you got that in a nutshell. You don't know. Are you trying to tell me if it is not below 13% moisture the elevators won't buy the corn and if they do it will be at a discount?

TexasBred":22rrms1a said:
TexasBred":22rrms1a said:

First post with question...still hasn't been answered by Somn...While your goggling this here is a cut and paste from Univ. of Wisconsin since you won't believe me.
The answer is the same this time as the first time I addressed it.
But because you have difficulty reading what I already answered. I will explain again. It will depend upon who you ask without having a standard definition of higher quality corn you can't answer any question like that. Your idea of quality corn is different than mine. Here was the answer the first time. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=46069&p=523587#p523587

Again you dodged the question. You answered relative to moisture levels. I questioned corn of differing crude protein levels. But that's ok. :lol2:

Now for feeding pigs....Here is info. from your own Univ. of Minnesota as well as U of Michigan relative to feeding low test weight corn to pigs

For hogs, low test weight doesn't reduce feeding value of corn
With lower test weight corn expected this fall, do we need to worry that its feeding value for hogs will be reduced? Apparently not, according to research at several universities.

Corn that's low in test weight appears to have the same feeding value for hogs as normal test weight corn, says Lee Johnston, animal scientist with the University of Minnesota Extension Service. At the University's West Central Research and Outreach Center at Morris, Johnston compared "normal" test weight corn of 57 pounds per bushel to lower test weights ranging from 47.5 to 49.5 pounds per bushel.

"There was no statistically significant difference in daily gain, feed intake or feed efficiency between normal and low test weight corn," Johnston says. Pigs started the trial averaging 77 pounds and ended at 229 pounds.

Researchers at Michigan State University evaluated corn with test weights ranging from 42 to 59 pounds per bushel. Pigs started the four-week trial weighing 29 pounds, and corn test weight had no effect on growth performance.

Research in South Dakota using growing-finishing pigs and in Canada using nursery pig showed similar results. In both cases, Johnston says the researchers could not demonstrate any consistently negative or positive effect of low test weight corn on pig performance.

If corn is not contaminated with mycotoxins, and other factors don't compromise corn quality, low test weight doesn't seem to hurt feed value. "Corn with test weights as low as 40 pounds per bushel apparently supports pig performance as well as test weights of 56 to 59 pounds per bushel," Johnston says.

TexasBred":32khnxyw said:
Now for feeding pigs....Here is info. from your own Univ. of Minnesota as well as U of Michigan relative to feeding low test weight corn to pigs

For hogs, low test weight doesn't reduce feeding value of corn
With lower test weight corn expected this fall, do we need to worry that its feeding value for hogs will be reduced? Apparently not, according to research at several universities.

Corn that's low in test weight appears to have the same feeding value for hogs as normal test weight corn, says Lee Johnston, animal scientist with the University of Minnesota Extension Service. At the University's West Central Research and Outreach Center at Morris, Johnston compared "normal" test weight corn of 57 pounds per bushel to lower test weights ranging from 47.5 to 49.5 pounds per bushel.

"There was no statistically significant difference in daily gain, feed intake or feed efficiency between normal and low test weight corn," Johnston says. Pigs started the trial averaging 77 pounds and ended at 229 pounds.

Researchers at Michigan State University evaluated corn with test weights ranging from 42 to 59 pounds per bushel. Pigs started the four-week trial weighing 29 pounds, and corn test weight had no effect on growth performance.

Research in South Dakota using growing-finishing pigs and in Canada using nursery pig showed similar results. In both cases, Johnston says the researchers could not demonstrate any consistently negative or positive effect of low test weight corn on pig performance.

If corn is not contaminated with mycotoxins, and other factors don't compromise corn quality, low test weight doesn't seem to hurt feed value. "Corn with test weights as low as 40 pounds per bushel apparently supports pig performance as well as test weights of 56 to 59 pounds per bushel," Johnston says.
First off I said you need to try feeding some of your 12% light test weight corn to hogs once. I told you that many ulcers later that You will find out 12% corn makes horrible pig feed. A good nutritionist would be able to understand the relationship between the moisture level of corn and its relationship to micron size and the relationship between micron size and ulcer's. But then again that takes a good nutritionist to understand.

TexasBred":17zkwlit said:
Again you dodged the question. You answered relative to moisture levels. I questioned corn of differing crude protein levels. But that's ok. :lol2:
I never dodged any question you asked if the lower the crude protein levels in corn equals a higher quality of corn. True or false? And why. I told you first there needs to be a standard definition of quality corn as you and I differ in our definition of quality corn. What is so hard about that for you to understand? A person can't answer a question when you have a wildcard factor.

somn":2nu5fhee said:
TexasBred":2nu5fhee said:
I never dodged any question you asked if the lower the crude protein levels in corn equals a higher quality of corn. True or false? And why. I told you first there needs to be a standard definition of quality corn as you and I differ in our definition of quality corn. What is so hard about that for you to understand? A person can't answer a question when you have a wildcard factor.

You've been an expert at this to date. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

TexasBred":3hiace38 said:
somn":3hiace38 said:
TexasBred":3hiace38 said:

You've been an expert at this to date. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
You are still struggleing on how to figure out frieght costs I see. Oh well it happens. I offer to you the same opportunity to prove me wrong as I have old mnmtranching.

mnmtranching":ljorr4od said:
Had a chance to ask an old acquaintance, Works 20 center pivots. Raises lots of corn. For the heck of it I asked him about moisture. Said all corn is dried to 13% or less before going into the bins. I asked Why? He said for storage, his customers will buy only 13% or less. So I don't know??
So when you calculated your corn yield at 12.5 bushels in each ton of silage what did you shrink the corn down to 13% or 15.5% moisture?

somn":5qhsoziy said:
TexasBred":5qhsoziy said:

Wild card you won't accept is that crude protein IS an indicator of corn quality. ;-)

TexasBred":3fiyfc71 said:
somn":3fiyfc71 said:
TexasBred":3fiyfc71 said:

Wild card you won't accept is that crude protein IS an indicator of corn quality. ;-)
And your point is or should I say isn't? Protien doesn't change the weight of a bushel of corn now does it.

Texasbred I just got off the phone with an individual from DeBruce Grain in Amarillo Texas. When I asked him about you telling me that in Texas the standard moisture for No 2 yellow corn being 12% he laughed and said now thats funny it has always been 15.5% there. Then when I told him that you said corn at 15.5% moisture will turn black and mold in a couple days he said now that is the biggest fallacy he had ever heard. Any ideas why he would say those things if what you say is true.

somn":oife4kj7 said:
Texasbred I just got off the phone with an individual from DeBruce Grain in Amarillo Texas. When I asked him about you telling me that in Texas the standard moisture for No 2 yellow corn being 12% he laughed and said now thats funny it has always been 15.5% there. Then when I told him that you said corn at 15.5% moisture will turn black and mold in a couple days he said now that is the biggest fallacy he had ever heard. Any ideas why he would say those things if what you say is true.

Yep...Amarillo is in the panhandle and has very little humidity. Central Texas has high humidity and the grain companies (tho small in size to Debruce) don't buy 15.5% corn knowing the humidity will be 50 to 70%....Somn what you're having a hard time dealing with is the 15.5% so called standards and the reality that many folks, including me, won't and don't buy corn at that moisture level and that much research has been done to prove lower moisture corn is not only heavier but higher in quality than the "standard". Now...when you called him did you ask him about test weights being higher on lower moisture corn? When you get that right you'll be off to a good "re-start". Nuff on this now. it's been fun. :tiphat:

TexasBred":1avemz5f said:
somn":1avemz5f said:
TexasBred":1avemz5f said:

Maybe to a livestock producer the higher level of protien makes it a higher quality corn to him. However to an ethanol producer higher starch with lower protien makes a lower protien corn a better quality corn to him. So I guess it just goes back to each persons own ides of what a higher quality corn is now doesn't it? Why do you think the seed companies have been increasing the starch levels in corn and decreasing the protien levels over the last 5 years? Maybe you can't remember it but I remember corn that used to test at 9 to 10 % protien easily now some varities I planted last year didn't make 5% protien but to a person selling to an ethanol plant it doesn't matter the bushels were there and so was the starch. So now tell me what is higher quality to the corn farmer starch or protien? One answer whoever will pay the most for the type of corn they have. Same goes for cattle I've seen darn high dollar longhorn cattle get bought I've seen the same man sell those high dollar longhorn cattle for nothing 2 years later. Does that meen they were no longer high dollar cattle or does that meen 2 different people have 2 different ideas of what high dollar cattle are by definition?

Latest posts