How much inbreeding is acceptable?

Help Support CattleToday:

Carnivore

Reaction score
How does one grow a herd without having the bull start servicing his daughters? And, if that happens, what are the concerns? How about a bull who services his mother?

You will get a lot of differant views on this, some folks do it and call it line breeding. It brings out the best in them as well as the worst. Most of the time the worst in my opinion. I wouldn't do it with granddaughters.

I have heard that breeding 2 animals that are more than 50% related is a no-no. If a bull and cow have the same sire but their dams are unrelated or vice versa its OK. Breeding a cow back to her sire or a bull to his dam would not be OK. Not my rules, just something I read somewhere. Others would probably disagree with this.

Carnavore":2titxuqm said:
How does one grow a herd without having the bull start servicing his daughters? And, if that happens, what are the concerns? How about a bull who services his mother?

Most people have anywhere from 2 - who know's how many bulls depending on the number of cows in the herd and the number of lineages. I am not a big believer in line-breeding (also known as in-breeding when a wreck happens), but that is just me and the way I was taught. We use ear marks to designate bloodlines in our cattle so we know who bred what and the resulting lineage in the calves and subsequent replacement heifers. Eventually you reach a point that one or more of your bulls are related to the majority of your herd and he/they are then replaced by fresh bloodlines. This is where AI comes in real handy - variety of bloodlines and traits to choose from and no bull to maintain on the off season. Come breeding season we sort them up according to earmarks and each group is put into a different pasture with the appropriate bull. Hope this helps.

msscamp":176vlxdp said:
Carnavore":176vlxdp said:

Most people have anywhere from 2 - who know's how many bulls depending on the number of cows in the herd and the number of lineages. I am not a big believer in line-breeding (also known as in-breeding when a wreck happens), but that is just me and the way I was taught. We use ear marks to designate bloodlines in our cattle so we know who bred what and the resulting lineage in the calves and subsequent replacement heifers. Eventually you reach a point that one or more of your bulls are related to the majority of your herd and he/they are then replaced by fresh bloodlines. This is where AI comes in real handy - variety of bloodlines and traits to choose from and no bull to maintain on the off season. Come breeding season we sort them up according to earmarks and each group is put into a different pasture with the appropriate bull. Hope this helps.

Ear Marks? Are you talking like they do pigs? Or Ear tags?

aplusmnt":1uueuj1d said:

I don;t know what msscamp is refering to, but ear marking is a pretty common practice in te western states. On one reservation where all of the cattle are run in common I've seen cows that looked like their ears had been cut with pinking shears they were notched.

dun

aplusmnt":2w2ab9r4 said:
msscamp":2w2ab9r4 said:

Actually we use both. Ear tags for identification of an individual animal and ear marks (notch out of the bottom of the right ear is Hacksaw bloodline, notch out of the end of the left ear is another bloodline, etc.)

dun":3b8btiek said:
aplusmnt":3b8btiek said:

On one reservation where all of the cattle are run in common I've seen cows that looked like their ears had been cut with pinking shears they were notched.

dun

:shock: We've never had ears that looked like that. We're small enough now that we have no need for more than a single notch in one ear. Even when we were doing this full time, we rarely had more than one notch in each ear. We also use an ear-marking tool, not a pocket-knife.

msscamp":11ly0rv5 said:
dun":11ly0rv5 said:
aplusmnt":11ly0rv5 said:

On one reservation where all of the cattle are run in common I've seen cows that looked like their ears had been cut with pinking shears they were notched.

dun

:shock: We've never had ears that looked like that. We're small enough now that we have no need for more than a single notch in one ear. Even when we were doing this full time, we rarely had more than one notch in each ear. We also use an ear-marking tool, not a pocket-knife.

There were probalby 25-30 owners all with one common brand. They used both ears in combination. The x-chiefs animals were the only ones without an ear mark.

dun

Not trying to knock you msscamp, but why not just keep some sort of notes with the bloodlines instead of ear marks. We use ear notches for identifaction that they are our cattle, but use a spreadsheet with breeding and bloodline info. It seems like it could get confusing to use notches for bloodlines.

ENNOT":1hvt0w4t said:
Not trying to knock you msscamp, but why not just keep some sort of notes with the bloodlines instead of ear marks. We use ear notches for identifaction that they are our cattle, but use a spreadsheet with breeding and bloodline info. It seems like it could get confusing to use notches for bloodlines.

No problem, it's just easier for us. We can look at them and know who the sire is instead of having to carry around notebooks or go back to the house and look it up. It really isn't as confusing as it sounds. :lol: :lol:

msscamp":220oo3vg said:
ENNOT":220oo3vg said:

No problem, it's just easier for us. We can look at them and know who the sire is instead of having to carry around notebooks or go back to the house and look it up. It really isn't as confusing as it sounds. :lol: :lol:

I thought it sounded pretty simple system for those using more than one bull. Well except for the poor calves getting them ears hacked on :D

aplusmnt":3uhwxiq4 said:
msscamp":3uhwxiq4 said:
ENNOT":3uhwxiq4 said:

I thought it sounded pretty simple system for those using more than one bull. Well except for the poor calves getting them ears hacked on :D

Their ears aren't 'hacked off'. A notch is probably a 1/4" wide and a 1/4" deep in a v-shape. They rarely even bawl - they pitch more of a fit with ear-tagging than with ear-marking.

msscamp":3ljvcxjs said:
aplusmnt":3ljvcxjs said:
msscamp":3ljvcxjs said:
ENNOT":3ljvcxjs said:

Their ears aren't 'hacked off'. A notch is probably a 1/4" wide and a 1/4" deep in a v-shape. They rarely even bawl - they pitch more of a fit with ear-tagging than with ear-marking.

Just joking, thinking of them squealing pigs that we notched last year, Probably same notch er they use on pigs, at least sounds like it.

We have never used something like this on cattle, but we have an older cow we bought that has clean cut notch right at tip of ear, always wondered what happened to her, it looked to clean cut to be an accident. Might have been someone else that did something like this.

aplusmnt":2yxwpzqa said:
msscamp":2yxwpzqa said:

We have never used something like this on cattle, but we have an older cow we bought that has clean cut notch right at tip of ear, always wondered what happened to her, it looked to clean cut to be an accident. Might have been someone else that did something like this.

Yeppers, that is an ear mark. I meant to add a laughing emoticon to my previous post and didn't. Sorry. :oops: :lol: :lol:

There's Danger here unless you are will to put Down all your GET from one line when trouble appears and it will. Leave it to the people that know.

If you really want to know there are some good books out there. Then play with gome Gold Fish or torpicals. New "Get" every 30 days or so.

In General: All first time x are Ok except Son to Mother
Father --> Daughter
Brother --> Sister

Son --> Mother -- > Look Out

With dogs Trouble popped up --> I had to put down a hole line 15 Dogs, B-i-t-c-h-s, and Puppies + 4 Stud Dog when I figures out where it came from - - Was very Hard and took guts - so I'd stay chear unless your ready to accept the out come

If you don't take that action Your and You Lines Reputation is the S-H-I-T-S

Not sure, let me ask my wife! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Old Dog/New Tricks":3lx3p0fs said:
There's Danger here unless you are will to put Down all your GET from one line when trouble appears and it will. Leave it to the people that know.

If you really want to know there are some good books out there. Then play with gome Gold Fish or torpicals. New "Get" every 30 days or so.

In General: All first time x are Ok except Son to Mother
Father --> Daughter
Brother --> Sister

Son --> Mother -- > Look Out

With dogs Trouble popped up --> I had to put down a hole line 15 Dogs, B-i-t-c-h-s, and Puppies + 4 Stud Dog when I figures out where it came from - - Was very Hard and took guts - so I'd stay chear unless your ready to accept the out come

If you don't take that action Your and You Lines Reputation is the S-H-I-T-S

Don't read me?
Watch me get H377 for saying this :!: :cboy:

Look at the Disservice One Horse Breeder SOB did with HYPP - He/They could have stopped it in the bud (No Guts) - - Now every horse owner that has HYPP is breeding it and passing it on - because My Horse Is So Nice.

If every owner just Stopped Breeding any horse with HYPP it would be gone in this generation!
Fat Chance :!:

Carnivore":95dyqawh said:

How much inbreeding is acceptable?

To answer your Question :!:

In your case None:!: :!: :cboy:

How does one grow a herd without having the bull start servicing his daughters?

I don't know about you but I started a Whole Branch On Our Family Tree with out Servicing my Daughters :roll:

Could be different in your parts ;-)

Latest posts