Inbreeding coefficient?

Help Support CattleToday:

So if the most studied ,researched, documented linebreeding in cattle world wide is all smoke and mirrors. What long term linebreeding would you say isn't smoke and mirrors.
Btw just for info purposes,line 1 was started in 1934 to this day not a single outcross has been introduced into the line ,some 18 plus generations later.
The inbred coefficient within the herd is estimated to be about 10%
While the degree of relatedness to the original founding male is around 40%
So if that's all smoke and mirrors then what is your example of linebreeding that isn't?

Last edited:
I don't want to intentionally linebreed more or less more curious on it…I just want to get a more consistent set of cows and calves…getting away from going to the sales barn for replacements…. The cows I have now range from 1200-1600lbs and just trying to get everything to the middle ground around 1400 and clutter related so there aren't the few on the top end but more of everything even
I don't like the idea of breeding everything to just one bull, there is simply too great a chance breeding everything to the wrong bull. The biggest advantage of AI over using a bull is that I don't have to use the same bull on everything. When I AI, I generally use at least three bulls and mate the cows by size. I use a bigger bull on the smaller framed cows and vice versa. That improves consistency and at the same time allows me to keep my own bulls without having an excess of inbreeding.

Best way to produce consistency is by line breeding or inbreeding.
Line breeding and inbreeding are two totally different things. You can line breed and use outcross bulls if you want.
From the information I've listened to and read that's how I understand it…I'm gonna use AI to the same bull two years in a row and switch to a different one for 2 years and keep my replacement heifers out of the ai calves and will probally end up keeping a few bulls just for clean up and personal use except for the heifers will end up buying a heifer bull from someone else for just the heifers…

I don't like the idea of breeding everything to just one bull, there is simply too great a chance breeding everything to the wrong bull. The biggest advantage of AI over using a bull is that I don't have to use the same bull on everything. When I AI, I generally use at least three bulls and mate the cows by size. I use a bigger bull on the smaller framed cows and vice versa. That improves consistency and at the same time allows me to keep my own bulls without having an excess of inbreeding.
My thoughts on just one bull is I can select the offspring that works in my environment and still have em be all half sibs so down the road my bull selection is easier instead of having multiple sires every year…whatever doesn't work for replacements get loaded on the trailer and hauled to the sale like I do every fall…I know it'll take years to get a really good herd but with narrowing down my gene pool I feel like I will have a more consistent calf crop and nature will show me which ones to keep that are easier keeping for my environment

In case it wasn't clear, I am in favor of the best Shearforce grandson you can find.
I'm about a hour and a half north of Clear Springs Cattle Company and really like their cattle and am trying to pick what I AI to from stuff that is closer to my area and they definitely have a good selection in my own opinion

So if the most studied ,researched, documented linebreeding in cattle world wide is all smoke and mirrors. What long term linebreeding would you say isn't smoke and mirrors.
Btw just for info purposes,line 1 was started in 1934 to this day not a single outcross has been introduced into the line ,some 18 plus generations later.
The inbred coefficient within the herd is estimated to be about 10%
While the degree of relatedness to the original founding male is around 40%
So if that's all smoke and mirrors then what is your example of linebreeding that isn't?
https://academic.oup.com/jas/articl...8/6011549?redirectedFrom=fulltext&login=false

"Line 1 FPED, FG, and FGPED average inbreeding was 42.1% (range 0–71%), 14.4% (range 0–46%), and 31.0% (range 0–63%), respectively."

https://academic.oup.com/jas/articl...8/6011549?redirectedFrom=fulltext&login=false

"Line 1 FPED, FG, and FGPED average inbreeding was 42.1% (range 0–71%), 14.4% (range 0–46%), and 31.0% (range 0–63%), respectively."
Maybe you should actually read it before you posted it.
Maybe if you read it you must not understand it.
The numbers you quoted are the degree of relatedness of the line 1 line to the founding bull Advanced Domino 13.
The inbred coefficient of line 1 animals to each other averages around 10.
Two totally different numbers.
In other words the average line 1 animal has about a 39% degree of relatedness to advanced domino 13
But only share about 10 percent with the average of the line one animals alive to day.
Advanced domino 13 has been dead for years don't think any one will be breeding any line 1 alive today directly back to him.
What matters to me is the degree of relatedness of two line one animals that are alive today if I were to choose to breed them together. And on average that number is about 10
Maybe this article will help you understand it better.