How much does a tree weigh?

Help Support CattleToday:

cow pollinater

Reaction score
I've got a mulberry tree in my back yard that the previous owner only trimmed on the parts that he could reach so it is now overhanging one barn and the koi pond and my irrigation pump and threatening to knock the power out if we get a wind storm. It is lopsided since he was able to keep the other side trimmed up.
Since I'm unable to lighten up the heavy side so that I can fell this monster into the open area under the lighter side of the tree, my thinking is to get the winch on my truck up high on a solid branch, start my cut, and then pull the whole thing down.
I've been really lucky when doing this kind of stuff in the past to the point where I'm starting to seek ideas from others and try to head off near disasters. ;-)
I would guess this thing to be 50-60 foot tall. The heavy side is grown out to about forty feet and the trimmed side only about twenty.
Can I do it or am I nuts?
Hiring it done is not an option... My wife said there was no way in he!! I'd get that thing down by myself so whatever happens it's coming down and I'm doing it by myself even if it destroys everything under it. :nod:

I tried that once and almost got hit by an Internation 460 tracotr that I was pulling it with. I was amazed to see the tractor actually flying through the air

Or hook it to something a lot more solid, like another bigger tree.

dun":hld2dqnj said:
I tried that once and almost got hit by an Internation 460 tracotr that I was pulling it with. I was amazed to see the tractor actually flying through the air

I'm sure it wasn't funny then but I got a good laugh out of that. I can picture you casualing telling that story. Wow, that had to be something.

J&D Cattle":2wxdszch said:
dun":2wxdszch said:

I'm sure it wasn't funny then but I got a good laugh out of that. I can picture you casualing telling that story. Wow, that had to be something.
I'll admit that the only reeason I didn;t crap my pants was because my pucker string was so tight

dun":2npkw6db said:
J&D Cattle":2npkw6db said:
dun":2npkw6db said:

I'll admit that the only reeason I didn;t crap my pants was because my pucker string was so tight

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

I can't speak for That particular tree but I was taught whenever winching or pushing a tree over to make your back cut higher than the notch by about 1/2 the length of the diameter of the trunk and make the notch hinge about 1/3 of the way through the trunk. This way you can make a pretty deep back cut and the fibers between the notch and backcut will hold the tree and the cutter can get out of the way before you start pulling or pushing. I've had really good luck with that technique.

Trees weigh a lot. There is your answer. Ok, how to pull a tree. Hook your line to the tree as far up as possible. The higher up the better. Leverage is a great thing. Never allow the tree to start moving in the direction which you don't want it to fall. Don't cut the tree and then start pulling. Keep pressure on it the entire time. Get several falling wedges and drive them into the back cut as soon as you can. Keep then in tight. Do not cut the tree off the stump. Leave a strip of uncut wood all the way across the stump that will direct the fall. DO NOT CUT OFF THE CORNER OR OUTSIDE EDGES OF THIS STRIP OF WOOD.

Dave has it right. Also, if you can take the line around another tree and then to the truck the tree will act as friction to help it not rock and fall the wrong way. Pull it as it's cut. Pressure has to to be kept on it

Thanks guys. I was planning on what Dave said.
Steve, the cutter will be loooong gone well in advance. :lol: He'll be operating the winch from a very safe distance. :nod:

I HAVE ALL KINDS OF CUTE STORIES OF THE THINGS THAT CAN GO WRONG DRYING TO DO SOMETHING THAT REQUIRES THREE PEOPLE BY MYSELF....

SOME OF THEM i CAME WITHIN INCHES OF NOT BEING HERE TO TYPE ABOUT THEM.

MURPHYS LAW IS ALIVE AND WELL AT MY PLACE....

My winch is 12,000 pounds and its on a one ton. I've done this a few times but just not with such a lopsided tree. I think it's my safest bet for an anchor. I'd be pulling towards the pecan orchard so I could chain the rear-end to one of them but I doubt they'd hold this tree by themselves.

Dave":1plajer7 said:
Trees weigh a lot. There is your answer. Ok, how to pull a tree. Hook your line to the tree as far up as possible. The higher up the better. Leverage is a great thing. Never allow the tree to start moving in the direction which you don't want it to fall. Don't cut the tree and then start pulling. Keep pressure on it the entire time. Get several falling wedges and drive them into the back cut as soon as you can. Keep then in tight. Do not cut the tree off the stump. Leave a strip of uncut wood all the way across the stump that will direct the fall. DO NOT CUT OFF THE CORNER OR OUTSIDE EDGES OF THIS STRIP OF WOOD.

This works sometimes and sometimes not. I have a few people that called me after they have ruined their houses trying the exact same thing. Tree weight-Structure of the tree- Wind- but most importantly is not just having leverage on a tree the actual Tree strength matters mostly when attempting this process. Pulling on something that may not be structurally sound and then you while pulling the cabled section snaps tree rocks back or twist off stump, tree splits and creates a whole other group of damage and problems. No matter who's advise you take or trust I wish you well. The absolute best way to cut down the tree is to limb it up and section it down

pdfangus":1hed89fv said:
I HAVE ALL KINDS OF CUTE STORIES OF THE THINGS THAT CAN GO WRONG DRYING TO DO SOMETHING THAT REQUIRES THREE PEOPLE BY MYSELF....

SOME OF THEM i CAME WITHIN INCHES OF NOT BEING HERE TO TYPE ABOUT THEM.

MURPHYS LAW IS ALIVE AND WELL AT MY PLACE....

Like I said, I would probably have it hired done but my wife said I couldn't do it by myself. :D

cow pollinater":2zkm2edd said:
Thanks guys. I was planning on what Dave said.
Steve, the cutter will be loooong gone well in advance. :lol: He'll be operating the winch from a very safe distance. :nod:

The cutter and the winch operator should not be the same person. You can't keep that constant pressure on the tree as it is being cut and operate the chain saw at the same time.

I have jacked a lot of trees. Ones much bigger than the one in the video sky posted. It works great but you need to know what you are doing and have an actual tree jack that is designed for jacking trees. They typically have 100,000 pounds of lift capacity and a lot of surface area on both the top an bottom to push against the tree.

I might put the line through a block fastened to another tree but I wouldn't wrap it around the tree. The friction will reduce you ability to pull.

skyhightree1":11t2rq4o said:
cp fly me out there and give me a calf and I will get it done lol I am licensed bonded insured lol
I'd have been up for that... right up to when my wife said I couldn't do it. :lol:

Latest posts